Gratituies

Just a thought

On our last 12 day cruise our waiter had a table of 10, a table of 6 and a table of 4

==20 persons 2 sittings == 40 people --$3.75 per day is $1.800 which would

be in UK 1.125 pounds for 12 days pay

40 people x $3.75 per day is $150 per day or approx £94.00 per day, bear in mind that they rotate through the windjammer crew cafe etc, so only work in the dining room and receive tips 2 or 3 weeks out of 4

Being a British Ex Pat, I can understand, to a degree, why a lot of Brits have the attitude that they do about tipping, it is not something you are used to, HOWEVER, you choose to take you holiday aboard an American Cruise Line, and as such should really adjust to the culture of the enviroment in which you choose to take your holiday. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

In an effort to overcome this adverseness to tipping, and it's not just the Brits that feel this way, there are a lot of other nationalities where tipping is not the norm, the cruiseline do publish, in their brochures, online and in onboard literature, the suggested gratuities for each crew member that relies on tips for their income, yes the amount is suggested, but so is the dress code on formal night, and a lot of people get annoyed when others don't follow those suggestions., quote]

From April to October most of RCI's ships are not cruising from America. Therefore they must promote and post information that fits the cruise audiance they are trying to prmote to. Thus they soft peddle the tips.

Just because the ships don't cruise from America does not mean they are not run by an American company in the American way, they do charge in US$ all over the world! A ships departure port does not indicate the audience the cruise line in trying to promote to, if this was the case, then they would not promote a caribbean cruise to the brits, or a european cruise to the americans.

Just a thought

On our last 12 day cruise our waiter had a table of 10, a table of 6 and a table of 4

Good point. With some of the 40 paying less and some of the 40 paying more, and most paying recommended, he/she will make the $1800 per week. Remember to most waiters and the backgrounds they come from, this $8,000 plus for one or two months is more than they would make in a year in their birth country.

Saying that, a fair tip is the recommended RCI amount, and I will follow that recommendation.

Just a thought

Assuming everyone tips what is suggested and we all know,that's not gonna happen..

I do agree with what you say, however, it would be very interesting to find out the percentage of crewmembers who are American. I would suggest there will be a wide variety of nationalities onboard.

Don't expect that wide variety of nationalities to include many US citizens among the crew. In almost thirty years of cruising with Royal Caribbean, I can count on the fingers of one hand, the number of Americans who worked as crew members (2 bartenders and a waiter in Chops). Even during our periods of recession few, if any, Americans have been willing to take those jobs despite the high earnings:), that some here fantasize about.

Good point. With some of the 40 paying less and some of the 40 paying more, and most paying recommended, he/she will make the $1800 per week. Remember to most waiters and the backgrounds they come from, this $8,000 plus for one or two months is more than they would make in a year in their birth country.

Saying that, a fair tip is the recommended RCI amount, and I will follow that recommendation.

Yes I just re calculated the math. It would be around $6,600 per month.

I was thinking about whether a downward adjustment just for this would be appropriate, or if anyone else has done that. But at the same time, the difference between tipping $5 a day for each of two rooms and tipping $5 per day per person is just $105 for the whole week -- and that money probably means a whole lot more to the people getting it than it does to me. Plus, I kind of think it's like insurance, where we all pay more for the people who pay nothing (or very little). So I'm inclined to go with the suggested tips as a minimum. Just curious about others' thoughts.

Thanks.

I'm sure it happens all the time. Do you think someone would really admit to adjusting their tips downward after reading this thread?

This an interesting debate that's getting awfully personal and judgmental....hate to see that.

I have a different spin on this. I tend to be a very good tipper, so if I only tip 15% to a waitperson, that probably means I wasn't happy with the service. So I've got no problem with the suggested waitperson tips. However, the stateroom attendant tips seem exorbitant.

When I stay at a hotel, I usually tip the maid $3 to $5 per day. The RCI guidelines would make that $10 per day for my husband and me, and $15 per day for the stateroom in which our three children are staying. And these are much smaller rooms than in a hotel! Obviously, it doesn't take twice the amount of work to clean for two instead of one, or three times to clean for three instead of two (e.g., there is still just one shower, one toilet, and the same amount of floor and counter space).

I was thinking about whether a downward adjustment just for this would be appropriate, or if anyone else has done that. But at the same time, the difference between tipping $5 a day for each of two rooms and tipping $5 per day per person is just $105 for the whole week -- and that money probably means a whole lot more to the people getting it than it does to me. Plus, I kind of think it's like insurance, where we all pay more for the people who pay nothing (or very little). So I'm inclined to go with the suggested tips as a minimum. Just curious about others' thoughts.

Thanks.

I agree with you. We keep our room very neat and clean, and we have no special requests. The steward doesn't have much work to do at all in our cabin - making up the bed, swapping out the towels, and wiping down the bathroom. That's it. Not worth $10 per day tip, but we will tip the recommended amount regardless because it's the right thing to do. We will also give our wait team more than the recommended tip because we eat in the MDR every night, we have a lot of special requests, and they always go above and beyond the normal realm of duty for us.

Folks who yatter on that they won't tip and that the cruise line should pay their employees properly are nutso. Where do you think the cruise line gets its money? These are the same people who will jump to CCL or NCL because the same itinerary was $50 less.

When we've sailed lines that automatically add the tips to the bill, the line at guest services on the last day is one of the saddest sights of the cruise. The same people who are going to go home and rave about how they were doted on are waiting impatiently to shortchange those who took care of them.

Panera Bread did an experiment in one of its stores where people could pay what they thought the food was worth. They did very well on that experiment which I found reassuring in terms of the natural fairness in people these days. Threads like this accomplish the opposite.

I agree with you. We keep our room very neat and clean, and we have no special requests. The steward doesn't have much work to do at all in our cabin - making up the bed, swapping out the towels, and wiping down the bathroom. That's it. Not worth $10 per day tip, but we will tip the recommended amount regardless because it's the right thing to do. We will also give our wait team more than the recommended tip because we eat in the MDR every night, we have a lot of special requests, and they always go above and beyond the normal realm of duty for us.

The tip on Royal Caribbean web site is referred to as "Stateroom Attendant/Other Housekeeping Services". This implies to me that the Room Steward does not get the entire $5 per person per day. My guess he/she will still get the old amount (was it $3.75) and the "Other Housekeeping Services" whatever they are gets the rest.

I believe that there are many hard working people on this planet that (including myself) deserve the salary and tips that they get, including those making my vacation all that much better. I always pay the suggested amount to my staff when I cruise and tip more if I feel necessary. After all, these gratuities are a very small portion of the total cost of my vacation (no matter how much this person makes from all his clients total - that is really none of my concern) and I personally feel they deserve it!

How much do they charge for tips on a 3 day cruise?

A: Our suggested gratuity guidelines take in account our crew members that work hard to provide and maintain the highest level of service while sailing the high seas. Whether working behind the scenes or serving your evening meal, our staff and crew make sure you enjoy every moment spent onboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship.

The daily amounts below have been calculated with this in mind. For new bookings that set sail on or after July 1, 2011, the suggested gratuities are:

Waiter: $3.75 USD a day per guest Assistant Waiter: $2.15 USD a day per guest Head Waiter: $.75 USD a day per guest Stateroom Attendant/

Other Housekeeping Services: $5.00 USD a day per guest Suite Attendant/

Other Housekeeping Services: $7.25 USD a day per guest

Just in case the answer was lost in the discussion. :eek:

Just courious, how much is it? I do assume that tips are a greater amount of what they get. Do they get a set amount each day or hourly?

$50 a month, unless RCI has increased it. They also have to pay for their own internet, laundry service, items from the crew store, etc.

A: Our suggested gratuity guidelines take in account our crew members that work hard to provide and maintain the highest level of service while sailing the high seas. Whether working behind the scenes or serving your evening meal, our staff and crew make sure you enjoy every moment spent onboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship.

Just in case the answer was lost in the discussion. :eek:

This statement does bring up questions. I assume the cook staff makes a set salary. If you get exceptional food should we tip them, or does RCI pay them an exceptable salary? DO they make the same as the waiters?

What about the cruise lines, that promote the tips are included in the pricing? HAL did that 15 years ago.

$50 a month, unless RCI has increased it. They also have to pay for their own internet, laundry service, items from the crew store, etc.

Obviously not ruled by American standards. Waiter in USA resturants make wage of $3.00+ per hour per day.

Staff do get free laundry of their uniforms; not their personal items, i believe.

This statement does bring up questions. I assume the cook staff makes a set salary. If you get exceptional food should we tip them, or does RCI pay them an exceptable salary? DO they make the same as the waiters?

What about the cruise lines, that promote the tips are included in the pricing? HAL did that 15 years ago.

Most of the other mass market lines simply add the tips to your onboard account with no input or control over the amounts from you. Not sure what HAL's policy is now but I can remember when their slogan was "no tipping required" which some mistakenly believed to mean that they were not expected to tip or that the employees were not allowed to accept tips. In fact their policy at that time was no different from that of RCI and other lines since tips, at that time, were always discretionary. How much the other employees on RCI or other lines are paid is not something that many people outside the company are aware of, nor IMO, should they be. The situation is not any different from the wages paid to employees of other hotel and restaurants. Those are also not public knowledge, but we do know that the minimum wage laws in most, if not all, of the states in the US set a significantly lower standard for workers whose salaries are traditionally supplemented by tips. Whether or not the cooks receive an "exceptable"(sic) salary is immaterial since they have accepted a job which pays an established amount knowing that they will not be tipped for their efforts.

Obviously not ruled by American standards. Waiter in USA resturants make wage of $3.00+ per hour per day.

And that amount is considerably less than the minimum wage required for employees who do not work in jobs where they are expected to receive tips and are taxed accordingly.

Obviously not ruled by American standards. Waiter in USA restaurants make wage of $3.00+ per hour per day.

One U.S. standard that they are ruled by is the lowest price possible for the product, which is why the ships are foreign staffed and registered. If they staffed the ships in the U.S., they would likely cost about 50% more per cruiser and customer service would drop in the same way it has in North America over the years. I am amazed at the service I get on ships compared to restaurants here. I tip accordingly.

Archived