Gratituies

What about the cruise lines, that promote the tips are included in the pricing? HAL did that 15 years ago.

I can totally speak to this as our first (and only) cruise with HAL was during this "no tipping required" period. The service? Awful. Always felt like we were imposing on the staff - never a smile, never a friendly greeting. Felt uncomfortable just walking down the hallways past the room stewards. Not the kind of cruise experience one would want. Then, to add insult to injury, at the "debriefing" prior to disembarking, the cruise director got up and said "while tipping is not required on this cruise, if you LOVED your (room steward, waiter, etc.) and, of course, who didn't LOVE your (room steward, waiter, etc.), there will be tip envelopes left in your cabin so you can show them your appreciation. *****???

Having said that, we have never had a problem tipping and tipping well on any other cruise. Only once had really marginal service from a room steward and left only the recommended amount for that one. Tipping is part of the expense of cruising, plain and simple. If you cannot afford to tip the suggested amount, then you cannot afford to cruise. Believe me, there have been many years in my life that I could not afford to cruise - but I didn't.

And to all of those who tout - "if the cruiseline paid their employees more, we wouldn't have to tip" - guess what? You would be paying by having higher fares - doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, but . . . .

Ok so this entire thread is way over done have any of the people in this thread actually looked up what the cruise line actually spends per person per day its less than 20 dollars in food so before everyone gets their panties in a bunch look up what is actually being spent on us for the services before you think about tipping they really do need to pay employees better instead of waisting your time arguing about tipping why dont you people go fight for a real cause like getting the cruise line CEO's to pay the employees what they deserve instead of stuffing their pockets... and as far as hard work leave people alone as long as they are here in america legally and earning a honest wage who gives a dang!!!!!!!

Ok so this entire thread is way over done have any of the people in this thread actually looked up what the cruise line actually spends per person per day its less than 20 dollars in food so before everyone gets their panties in a bunch look up what is actually being spent on us for the services before you think about tipping they really do need to pay employees better instead of waisting your time arguing about tipping why dont you people go fight for a real cause like getting the cruise line CEO's to pay the employees what they deserve instead of stuffing their pockets... and as far as hard work leave people alone as long as they are here in america legally and earning a honest wage who gives a dang!!!!!!!

This would never happen, and I would not be for it, but if everyone stopped tipping, the cruise lines would have to start paying their employees. Of course, I would, like almost everyone, not support this, but it would work.

Wow! I never expected this when I began reading this post. So, in essence, to sum up these last six pages;

One group believes you should tip accordingly for good service, and in doing so, this promotes future good service.

The other group believes that it's OK to NOT tip underpaid workers if you: (1.) work hard (or did at some point in the past), (2.) have a family (whose wants [not needs] come first) (3.) are working in the US legally? (international waters count? don't count? I couldn't quite follow that one!) (4.) believe that those who would question your (logic?), should rally to a futile cause that would allow for you to continue being obnoxious and ignorant. and finally (5.) Believe that those underpaid workers should help to fund your cruise because the CEO's of the cruiselines make too much money.

Hmmm...

Wow! I never expected this when I began reading this post. So, in essence, to sum up these last six pages;

One group believes you should tip accordingly for good service, and in doing so, this promotes future good service.

The other group believes that it's OK to NOT tip underpaid workers if you: (1.) work hard (or did at some point in the past), (2.) have a family (whose wants [not needs] come first) (3.) are working in the US legally? (international waters count? don't count? I couldn't quite follow that one!) (4.) believe that those who would question your (logic?), should rally to a futile cause that would allow for you to continue being obnoxious and ignorant. and finally (5.) Believe that those underpaid workers should help to fund your cruise because the CEO's of the cruiselines make too much money.

Hmmm...

yeah, that about sums it up.

This would never happen, and I would not be for it, but if everyone stopped tipping, the cruise lines would have to start paying their employees. Of course, I would, like almost everyone, not support this, but it would work.

Once they saw the effect on cruise fares you, and a majority of other cruisers might feel differently. I doubt a majority from the US would support such a suggestion. The tradition of paying gratuities to hotel and restaurant workers is so ingrained in our system that minimum wage laws are set at a lower rate for those positions than for other jobs. Perhaps you should aim your sights at the legislators who have established those rates before turning your attention to the cruise lines. Not sure that restaurant and hospitality industry workers on land or at sea would support your position either.

What is the the obsession about Americans trying to OUT TIP each other, and then having the front to critise people who don't tip enough, (in their eyes).

People save up and go on a cruise for the whole experience, NOT to get ripped off by the cruise company's and then get brow beaten into paying THEIR staff a decent wage. Most people go to sea, for the lifestyle, money, experience and to have a great time doing a good job. No one forces them into it, its not forced labour.

I spent 8 years at sea and got a wage for doing so. I received no tips in my job, because I was getting paid a wage to do it.

I found the tone of some of the people in this thread, outrageous. How dare they tell people not to go on a cruise or wait another two months just so they can pay more for the privilage. I will go on whatever holiday I want to and I will not take into consideration the amount of tips I have to pay along the way.

People earn tips, they should not just expect it. Its a gratuity for a service well done and I think you lot from across the pond seem to forget that. Its not a given right.

If you deserve it you will earn it.

This will be my first cruise coming up and i hope i don't bump into folks like you lot on this thread. Lets hope there are decent thinking people who don't judge everyone by the size of their wallet, but then size does matter to you lot, doesn't it??

The comments on here are a discrace, you really do think you are something special but your NOT.

Too many people have taken this post personally. Im glad your not judging!:)

Last year we took a cruise that I did not prepay gratuities for. I left a great tip for my cabin steward! We never used the main dining room so I did not leave a tip for the dining room staff. I do believe in tipping but why should I tip for a service I don't use. There were other staff I did tip like room service.

The way I see it, I tip for good services rendered. I also feel that it is wrong to go on the ship and not tip because you are in the "buffet" or to avoid the MDR on the last night - if the service was so bad that I was going to stiff the staff, I would have tried my best to speak to GS or the MD in advance (as I did, but alas made no difference)

The staff on RCI and other cruise ships are very aware in advice of the pay scale on the ship. They sign contracts - I am sure it is very upfront and very well laid out.

No one has forced the staff into working for the ship - the ship does not need to pay them "American standard" wadges.

I do think that some staff make a point of telling you how little they make, in hopes of a "bigger tip". (this has happened to me more then once.. the whole pennies a glass on the soda card.. so assuming .03 cents per person which is low balling it, might every well work out to be over $100 on their pay a week) plus .15% on drinks - I know in our case it was well over $250 in service charges. split between two bars - plus we went back and gave addition money to those bars.

I do think its hard to be away from family - and friends. But they run on contracts - and most of them return.. the pay can not be that bad. (Keeping in mind it is not on a American standard).

The way I see it, I tip for good services rendered. I also feel that it is wrong to go on the ship and not tip because you are in the "buffet" or to avoid the MDR on the last night - if the service was so bad that I was going to stiff the staff, I would have tried my best to speak to GS or the MD in advance (as I did, but alas made no difference)

I do think its hard to be away from family - and friends. But they run on contracts - and most of them return.. the pay can not be that bad. (Keeping in mind it is not on a American standard).

I really love to see the different opinions. I have always tipped the recommendated amount even if I had bad service. They deserve this.

There seems to be a group that thinks they have the "job from hell", and actually feel sorry for them. Many in their home countries think they have the golden jobs. After all they only have to work long hours, not do any dangerous job. They get two months off each year. In many of the countries of origin they make 5 to 10 times more than the average person from their home towns including the police and fire personel.

At $6,600 projected per month for a waiter, at 10 months, that would produce a range of $60,000 plus per year. They make more than coal miners. They make more than America's military in combat. This is within $10,000 of a Construction manager, and within $15,000 of the medium average of an attorney/lawyer in the USA. They make over $10,000 more than the medium average of a registered nurse that works 52 weeks a year.

I would not do their job, but they are greatful for it. I would not be a coal miner either.

Further I would speculate that 80% give the recommended tip. 10% give more and 10% give less, so they probably make the recommended amount in their 6 month contracts. I fall in the 80% group. They should not be slighted in tips. Yes they earn their money, and compared to many jobs in this world, it ain't a bad job.

Archived