Dublin HoHo bus, how to get there from ship?

We are doing the TA onboard Jewel of the Seas which stops in Dublin on Sept. 7.

We want to do the Hop-on Hop-off bus tour, looking at the map, it seems as if the closest stop is still quite a distance from the port.

Does the port or the cruise ship usually offer some kind of transportation between the ship and the city?

Marc

There will be taxis on the pier and there is normally a shuttle bus service aswell, you will have no problem getting a taxi as there are 14000+ in Dublin at the moment. Most taxis carry 4 adults however if you look along the taxi ranks you will usually see one or two vehicles with larger capacity (mini vans or people carriers)

And no taxis here are not the same as the London Black cabs, they are just normal cars in various colours with a lightbar on the roof indicating that they are a taxi.

Enjoy your time here.

Toledo: I have done this 3 times (altho too afraid to drive on the 'wrong side' so always have a driver). This last trip we finally made it to Giants Causeway, Carrick a Rede rope bridge and up to Northern Ireland (Belfast and London/Derry). ALL were so worthwhile. We were 26 family members on a large rented bus and almsot everyone said Giants Causeway was a favorite. Also the Cliffs of Moher are a MUST. On other trips when we went further south, of course the Ring of Kerry and the Blarney Stone (just to say you kissed it). I would say of the very few "don't bothers" Waterford factory comes to mind. Tis a wonderful country, you will adore it!

-----------------

Helen

We want to do the Hop-on Hop-off bus tour, looking at the map, it seems as if the closest stop is still quite a distance from the port.

Does the port or the cruise ship usually offer some kind of transportation between the ship and the city?

Marc

When we disembarked, there were no cabs available and the freezing wind was blowing our hair off :eek:, so instead of waiting for cabs to return, we took Princess's shuttle into town ($6) and caught the HoHo there. We took a cab back to the ship.

Princess had a shuttle for $16pp one way. We had planned to share a taxi, but the taxi driver told us since it was rush hour, it would be $32 one way and take a long time. We took the shuttle. If you wait until a little later in the am, you can probably get a taxi for less than $32. It's a long way into the city.This was the last week of June, 2011.

Hello Ms Understood,

Thanks so much for the tips on touring Ireland. We will definitely stop at Giants Causeway!!!

A couple of other questions.

Have you been to both the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Penninsula? If so, do you prefer one over the other?

Have you been to the Aran Islands, Blasket Island or Skellig Islands and do you feel that it's worth the effort to get to any of them?

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Toledo

Toledo Cruiser, June 2010, my aunt and I did a 10 day driving tour of Ireland. It was an absolutely wonderful trip. I did a lot of research beforehand and had information on all the places we wanted to stop and made reservations at B&Bs. Driving was a bit scary on the first day, but I got the hang of it quickly. Left side driving really wasn't a problem. Narrow roads, fast drivers, and roundabouts gave me the most concern. Would definitely recommend getting an automatic shift car. It is hard enough to keep your mind on the driving without shifting with your left hand and downshifting on all the hills and curves. It is a bit more expensive, but definitely worth it. Our GPS was also a BIG help.

My very favorite spot was the Gap of Dunloe in Killarney National Park. Don't try to drive it yourself. There is a great tour that you can pick up in Killarney that takes you on a small bus to the Gap, then you ride through the Gap on touring carts (loved that!), then you come back through the lakes on a motorboat.

I kept a journal of our trip. I would be happy to share it with you if you send me your email address. Mine is gshering@aol.com.

Toledo, Ohio? I was born & raised in Ohio and am a Buckeye through and through, though I have lived in the Northwest for 26 years now.

I have not been to the Islands but after we left, my niece stayed on for a few days and went to the Aran Islands, She loved although she did say it was really cold there. (This was just a few weeks ago) If I had to choose I would pick Ring of Kerry. It is a spectacular drive. Have a great trip!

-----------------

Helen

Marc

I would check and see what the ship is offering as far as transport. We were there in June and the Princess shuttle was $$$. We walked out of the port and down the road (towards the "eye"...ferris wheel by the O2) and took the light rail into the center of Dublin. The walk was around one mile. Some folks walked into the center,too.....4 miles. HOHO was good!

The light rais system is The Luas - the red line services The Point Village/02 area where the ferris wheel is. Alternatively if you walk out of the port you should not have any difficulty hailing a taxi - but its the most scenic of ports with a huge high amount of container traffic etcso be careful if walking. If you choose to get the Luas to the City Centre you will need to get off at Abbey Street and follow the track a hundred yards or so and you will be on O'Connell Street with the GPO and Spire in full view.

http://www.luas.ie/luas-red-line-stops/

• 2 weeks later...

We decided to sleep in that morning so it was 10 AM by the time we decided to head into town. There were Princess shuttle busses just waiting at a price of $16 round trip, of course, you had to sit on the bus for a while until it filled up. There were 4 of us at the time so we consulted with a taxi driver and he took us straight to Trinity college for 13 Euro. It was the cheapest method at the time, other than walking.

We had planned to catch a cab back but ended up walking instead. One thing about walking back, FYI, is that you really need to know which port/dock your ship is at because that is what the signs direct you towards, not any ship line. We were not the only people confused.

Another FYI, we had planned on doing the hoho bus but before we bought the ticket we noticed that there were lines of people at the bus stops waiting and no space for them on the bus. It could have been the time of day or because it was mid July (7/25/2011) or a fluke but we decided to just walk around the city. We had a great lunch, saw a few sights & did a little shopping. It was a good low key day for us but, if I ever go again I would line up a private tour ahead of time.

Have a Great Time!

Archived