Hawaii one way itineraries

Bxc53

For the cruises between the mainland and Hawaii, I understand that they must embark or disembark in Ensenada to satisfy some outdated law..

My question is, how does that work? Is there ground transportation to or from San Diego included?

We booked the Solstice for April 2013 for Hawaii- a really good price so we jumped on it. Yes it does end in Mexico, I have been reading trip reports on this and it looks like X provides a bus for all the pass to ride to San Diego. The cost is $90pp! We would love to see this outdated law changed regarding cruise ships, but I doubt it will happen.

It will be worth it to see beautiful Hawaii and go on another awesome Solstice class ship!

Bev

Too bad that Celebrity (which is my favorite cruise line) does not do what a few other cruise lines can do. They stop at Ensenada for a few hours then head home to San Diego or L.A. Seems absurd to have to get off in Ensenada and pay nearly $100 pp just for a bus back to San Diego. The bus ride can be slow and occasionally subject to extra inspections and baggage checks.

Too bad that Celebrity (which is my favorite cruise line) does not do what a few other cruise lines can do. They stop at Ensenada for a few hours then head home to San Diego or L.A. Seems absurd to have to get off in Ensenada and pay nearly $100 pp just for a bus back to San Diego. The bus ride can be slow and occasionally subject to extra inspections and baggage checks.

They do that on some cruises, but it only satisfies the PVSA on round trip cruises, not one way cruises as Mexico is not considered a distant foreign port. For one way cruises they must start or end in another country to satisfy the PVSA.

The PVSA is actually not an outdated law. It is the same law that protects U.S. airlines from having a foreign airline transport people from U.S. city to another (i.e. you can fly British Airways from New York to London, but not from New York to Chicago). The law has several applications other than pertaining to cruise ships.

Foreign flagged ships can only do this for a closed loop cruise to meet the Passenger Vessel Service Act requirements. For a one way cruise between two different US ports, which is what the OP is asking about, a distant foreign port must be called on to meet the PVSA regulations thus the need to sail from or to a near by foreign port.

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

• 3 weeks later...
We booked the Solstice for April 2013 for Hawaii- a really good price so we jumped on it. Yes it does end in Mexico, I have been reading trip reports on this and it looks like X provides a bus for all the pass to ride to San Diego. The cost is $90pp! We would love to see this outdated law changed regarding cruise ships, but I doubt it will happen.

It will be worth it to see beautiful Hawaii and go on another awesome Solstice class ship!

Bev

We just booked a 13-day cruise to Hawaii that ends in Ensenada. Called Celebrity today and was told our bus ride to San Diego is complimentary. You may want to contact Celebrity and inquire if it is the same for your cruise.

Previous Cruises:

Rhapsody of the Seas – Western Caribbean, 2002

Celebrity Mercury – Alaska, 2004

Freedom of the Seas – Western Caribbean, 2008

Carnival Splendor – Mexican Riviera, 2009

Mariner of the Seas – Mexican Riviera, 2010

Upcoming Cruises:

Carnival Splendor – Mexican Riviera, 2011

Celebrity Century – Hawaii, 2012

Golden Princess – Alaska, 2012

We looked into it also a few months ago and were told the transfers were $90 pp which is absurd. It's not like anyone is using Ensenada as their destination.

We've done it previously on Carnival and Princess. Some people hate the experience, but we didn't find the bus ride that bad. Sit on the left side and you'll have a scenic costal drive most of the way (once the sun comes up;)). You debark very early.

Six weeks from today until the Century! :D

I had my TA check with Celebrity after reading all of your helpful posts. I did end up with a free transfer from San Diego airport to Ensenada.

Can anyone give me suggestions on what to do on Nov. 11 since all flights to the East Coast are after 10 p.m.? I know there are tons of things to do, but since we will have our luggage, I'm not sure what to do with the day.

I had my TA check with Celebrity after reading all of your helpful posts. I did end up with a free transfer from San Diego airport to Ensenada.

Can anyone give me suggestions on what to do on Nov. 11 since all flights to the East Coast are after 10 p.m.? I know there are tons of things to do, but since we will have our luggage, I'm not sure what to do with the day.

Hi,

You should join our roll call for your cruise. It has a lot of tips there including the note about the free transfers. We also posted there the 2 price drops that occurred. Post here if you don't know how to find the roll call.

Ken

Why not rent a car from the airport for the day, and do some sightseeing? Can keep the luggage tucked safely away in the trunk. Adds to your touring of the city you are flying home from.

I'll second the rental car suggestion. Lots to do in the SD area. We especially like the La Jolla/Torrey Pines area. Spectacular scenery and many dining and shopping opportunities.

A question for all you PVSA experts. Could a cruise line market a cruise from Hawaii to Ensenada, then offer a 1-night B2B from Ensenada to San Diego? If transportation is required for most if not all passengers between point E and point SD, they have a big floating means of transportation right there. Plus, everyone gets an extra cruise credit or two for the second cruise.

We looked into it also a few months ago and were told the transfers were $90 pp which is absurd. It's not like anyone is using Ensenada as their destination

One way or another, somebody has to pay for the gas to get from Ensenada to San Diego, and Celebrity is not going to simply do it out of the goodness of their heart. If you're not paying for it directly, it's included in the cost of the cruise.

$90pp is ridiculous, though.

A question for all you PVSA experts. Could a cruise line market a cruise from Hawaii to Ensenada, then offer a 1-night B2B from Ensenada to San Diego? If transportation is required for most if not all passengers between point E and point SD, they have a big floating means of transportation right there. Plus, everyone gets an extra cruise credit or two for the second cruise.

Only if it's on another Ship. Or, a whole different set of passengers which would of course defeat the purpose. Otherwise it's still a Honolulu to San Diego cruise.

One way or another, somebody has to pay for the gas to get from Ensenada to San Diego, and Celebrity is not going to simply do it out of the goodness of their heart. If you're not paying for it directly, it's included in the cost of the cruise.

$90pp is ridiculous, though.

I'm no PVSA expert, but I suspect that if this was a legal option, the cruise lines would jump on it. After all, they have to sail an empty boat from Ensenada to San Diego under the current rules..

I'm no PVSA expert, but I suspect that if this was a legal option, the cruise lines would jump on it. After all, they have to sail an empty boat from Ensenada to San Diego under the current rules..

Well that would depend on where she's going next. If it's Alaska as suspected, she'll have to do a coastal from Ensenada to probably Seattle. So she won't be sailing to San Diego at all. If it's not Alaska then yes, she'll probably sail empty from Ensenada to San Diego.

Only if it's on another Ship. Or, a whole different set of passengers which would of course defeat the purpose. Otherwise it's still a Honolulu to San Diego cruise.

Why then would a Honolulu to Ensenada, followed by Ensenada to Seattle be legal? Cruise lines will market B2B cruises, some will even offer a discount for booking them together (are you listening, Celebrity?;)), but they're still two separate cruises and have two separate sets of paperwork for the government.

I assume there's a reason they can't do this or they would, just wondering what the reason is.

Well that would depend on where she's going next. If it's Alaska as suspected, she'll have to do a coastal from Ensenada to probably Seattle. So she won't be sailing to San Diego at all. If it's not Alaska then yes, she'll probably sail empty from Ensenada to San Diego.

They could maybe do Ensenada to San Diego, then San Diego to Vancouver or San Diego on a RT back to Hawaii.

Why then would a Honolulu to Ensenada, followed by Ensenada to Seattle be legal? Cruise lines will market B2B cruises, some will even offer a discount for booking them together (are you listening, Celebrity?;)), but they're still two separate cruises and have two separate sets of paperwork for the government.

I assume there's a reason they can't do this or they would, just wondering what the reason is.

They could maybe do Ensenada to San Diego, then San Diego to Vancouver or San Diego on a RT back to Hawaii.

Passengers would not be allowed to book both portions (the B2B). That would be against the PVSA.

No Vancouver for Solstice, she won't fit under the Lions Gate Bridge. If she's doing Alaska, it's either out of San Francisco or Seattle.

Passengers would not be allowed to book both portions (the B2B). That would be against the PVSA.

No Vancouver for Solstice, she won't fit under the Lions Gate Bridge. If she's doing Alaska, it's either out of San Francisco or Seattle.

Ah. So if I understand, one would not be able to book a Honolulu - Ensenada and Ensenada - Seattle B2B? If so, that would make sense why not Ensenada - San Diego.

As for Lions Gate Bridge, I wasn't thinking about the logistics of Solstice, necessarily, but possibly an M-class or Century doing that kind of itinerary.

Thanks!

Ah. So if I understand, one would not be able to book a Honolulu - Ensenada and Ensenada - Seattle B2B? If so, that would make sense why not Ensenada - San Diego.

As for Lions Gate Bridge, I wasn't thinking about the logistics of Solstice, necessarily, but possibly an M-class or Century doing that kind of itinerary.

Thanks!

Ah, if it were M Class or Century, they'd probably sail empty to San Diego and do a San Diego Vancouver Cruise.

I'm not sure what you're asking about they "why not Ensenada to San Diego". You could offer that as a cruise...but if the people stayed on from Honolulu they are technically doing a Honolulu to San Diego Cruise with no stop at a Foreign DISTANT port which is not allowed. And really?... are people going to actually pay to do a Ensenada to San Diego cruise that aren't already on the ship? doubtful. It's a giant PITA to get to Ensenada.

I'm not sure what you're asking about they "why not Ensenada to San Diego". You could offer that as a cruise...but if the people stayed on from Honolulu they are technically doing a Honolulu to San Diego Cruise with no stop at a Foreign DISTANT port which is not allowed. And really?... are people going to actually pay to do a Ensenada to San Diego cruise that aren't already on the ship? doubtful. It's a giant PITA to get to Ensenada.

Sorry, garbled language. What I meant to say was, "If so, that would make sense why Ensenada - San Diego is not allowed." Technically, it would be allowed, but as you point out, it would make no sense to offer it if those who just completed Honolulu - Ensenada could not book it. No, Ensenada to San Diego by itself would not be an attractive itinerary. The only reason for offering it would be to circumvent the PVSA restriction for erstwhile Honolulu - San Diego cruisers.

My assumption was that PVSA would look at each individual cruise on its own merits, and say Honolulu - Ensenada meets the US to non-US condition, and that Ensenada - San Diego would also meet the criteria since it's non-US to US. One cruise would have nothing directly to do with the other. A person could legally book either, so why not both? One cruise does not necessarily have anything to do with the other.

But my assumption now, based on what you said, is that PVSA would look at where you first boarded the ship and where you eventually got off the ship. If that is correct, then Honolulu - Ensenada and Ensenada - Seattle would not be allowed, even though they do make you get off the ship in Ensenada. Nor would a B2B of Seattle - Vancouver and Vancouver - Seward, correct?

But my assumption now, based on what you said, is that PVSA would look at where you first boarded the ship and where you eventually got off the ship. If that is correct, then Honolulu - Ensenada and Ensenada - Seattle would not be allowed, even though they do make you get off the ship in Ensenada. Nor would a B2B of Seattle - Vancouver and Vancouver - Seward, correct?

Exactly correct. That's why we get a lot of 1, 2 and 3 day cruises in and out of Vancouver. In the case above.. it would be a one day cruise from Seattle to Vancouver and then a Vancouver to Seward and no one could book them as a B2B.

Archived