Passport Card vs Book

erin6494

Good morning,

I am renewing my family's passports and was thinking of just getting the less expensive card version for my minor children (as they are only good for 5 years anyway and are significantly cheaper). Can anyone confirm that they would be valid documentation for a RT Panama Canal Cruise. The State Department website says they are valid for entry at seaports but I just wanted to make sure they would work on Princess too.

Thanks,

Erin

You are on the Island Princess with stops in both Central and South America; Princess requires a FULL passport for this itinerary, the cards are not accepted.
Correct. You don't have an option on this itinerary regardless of whether you might need to fly or not.

And from what I understand, they're only good for Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.
Even then, they can't be used for flying. For the Panama Canal itinerary, you won't be allowed to board without a full passport, even if you don't plan to get off the ship in Central or South America.

Is the passport card good on southern caribbean, like Aruba and Curaco?
Yes, as those two ports are part of the official list of Caribbean nations. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis_pa_tw_3256.html

Not that I would recommend it, but one could also just use a certified BC and ID for that itinerary. It makes little sense to buy a passport card just for that trip.

Archived