Dover to Switzerland to Southampton

In early June, we will be disembarking the Ocean Princess in Dover and boarding the Queen Mary 2 in Southampton a week later. We want to spend some of that week in Switzerland. What form of transportation would you recommend? Ferry to Calis and then a train? Do the trains connect Dover and Southampton or would it be best to go through London to get to Southampton? We have no interest in London this trip as we will be back in August to sail the Prinsendam out of Tilbury.

In early June, we will be disembarking the Ocean Princess in Dover and boarding the Queen Mary 2 in Southampton a week later. We want to spend some of that week in Switzerland. What form of transportation would you recommend? Ferry to Calis and then a train? Do the trains connect Dover and Southampton or would it be best to go through London to get to Southampton? We have no interest in London this trip as we will be back in August to sail the Prinsendam out of Tilbury.

Dover-> fly to Switzerland; Depending where in CH you want to go, would depend on which London airport works best, but LCY, LGW and LHR are your three closest.

Switzerland -> Southampton; FlyBE operate from both BRN/Bern and GVA/Geneva to SOU/Southampton -- a big timesaver vs flying into LHR/LGW and transferring

Dover-> fly to Switzerland; Depending where in CH you want to go, would depend on which London airport works best, but LCY, LGW and LHR are your three closest.

Switzerland -> Southampton; FlyBE operate from both BRN/Bern and GVA/Geneva to SOU/Southampton -- a big timesaver vs flying into LHR/LGW and transferring

Eurostar to Paris and then train to Basel. We did this last year and it was very straightforward including the transfer between stations in Paris. It was, however, booked by a travel company who organises these journeys regularly.

- Are you talking June 2012?

- Where in Switzerland do you want to visit? One location, or travel around?

If travelling around, my inclination would be to use the train. You can easily make Dover > St. Pancras (London) > Geneva/Basle/Zurich in the day... Once in Geneva/Basel/Zurich; you can use Swiss Rail to move around and open-jaw for the return.

Only 'downside' is that you can't book more than 3/4 months ahead of time. You can play with timetables here...

Swiss Rail is here...

Good general European rail information can be found on Seat61 here...

Good luck...

Thanks, all, for the feedback.

Yes, I'm talking about June and August 2012. I had not thought about flying because of the luggage issue -- we'll be getting off of a 28-day voyage and, although we could manage the luggage on the train, I am not inclined to pay to fly that much luggage around. We will pick a city in Switzerland and use it as "home base" for day trips. We've has a Swiss Rail Pass in the past and it worked great.

Can I get EuroStar out of Dover or would I need to go into London to catch it? Also, how is the transfer in Paris done? Is there a shuttle or would I need a taxi?

Can I get EuroStar out of Dover or would I need to go into London to catch it? Also, how is the transfer in Paris done? Is there a shuttle or would I need a taxi?

Eurostar leaves from London St. Pancras. The good news is that the train from Dover arrives at St. Pancras; so no massive transfer time. You do need to allow at least 30 minutes before Eurostar departure to clear immigration & boarding...

Eurostar arrives at Paris Nord. Dependant on your destination, trains for Switzerland depart Paris Est or Paris Lyon.

Paris Est is a 10 minute walk, or a short taxi ride.

Paris Lyon is a 2-stop transfer on the RER, or a taxi-ride.

Taxi is probably a better option with luggage.

NOTE - in either event you'll need €uros!

HTH

Eurostar leaves from London St. Pancras. The good news is that the train from Dover arrives at St. Pancras; so no massive transfer time. You do need to allow at least 30 minutes before Eurostar departure to clear immigration & boarding...

Eurostar also leaves from Ashford? which is much nearer to Dover.

Archived