Wow. Just wow!

Our family of 12 just returned today from the 7-day Society Island tour. This was the first cruise for my wife and I, and first time to F.P. Below are some random thoughts.

There aren’t enough superlatives in the English language to describe the beauty of these islands and the total overall fantastic experience we had on the P.G. It was the experience of a life time.

Service? You haven’t experienced service until you sail the P.G. It was unreal. We are a high maintenance-picky family and the staff did a fantastic job; the maids, bartenders, waiters, everyone, helped make our cruise a memorable lifetime experience. (Cesar and Marivic were wonderful).

Biggest Surprise: The service of ATN. They did a great job, leg room notwithstanding.

Best Meal: Rack of Lamb at L’Etoile (we ate dinner there 3 times). Le Veranda was a bit too fancy and French for my taste.

Best Drink of the Day: “Bora Bora Lagoon.” Second Place: The Cosmopolitans at the poolside bar.

Worst Sorbet of the Day: It was some sort of sour cheese flavored sorbet served at L’Etoile. The look on the faces on those who tried it was priceless.

Best Desert: Everything besides the sour cheese sorbet

Best Pastry: Almond Croissants from La Pollete (spelling?).

Best Beach and View: Bora Bora Motu. Do not miss it!!!

Most Embarrassing Moment: Getting dragged up on stage at the Grand Salon and having to do Polynesian dances – without my shirt and the cameras of my family rolling.

Most Overrated Beach: Matira Beach on Bora Bora. It just wasn’t as good as I expected.

Saddest Sight: All of the stray dogs – everywhere.

Best Experience: Happy Hour at La Pollete (spelling?) with a beautiful sunset sailing towards Moorea.

We did the Sting Ray and Jet Boat excursion around Bora Bora. I really liked it but being surrounded, and I mean surrounded, by stingrays was a bit unnerving knowing what happened to Steve Irwin. However, the ride around Bora Bora and snorkeling at the coral gardens was amazing.

I could have done without Raiatea. We hiked to the top of the hill near port for a fantastic view, but I would have preferred that day have been added to either Bora Bora, or Moorea.

The Raddison on departure day was a very nice setting, but I could have done without the $25.00 cheeseburgers. Service was shockingly poor.

I have come to the conclusion I do not have the self-discipline to go on an all-inclusive cruise such as the P.G. Way too much great food,booze, available 24/7 and I overindulged. That being said I can’t wait to go back!

without my shirt and the cameras of my family rolling.

I do hope that you're a boy! ;)

Seriously, thank you for the review. My partner has been considering PG for next year, our second cruise and the first PG, so it's good to read a review from a first timer.

They used to have a topless area on the PG when I first sailed on it!
There were a few topless beauties on our PG cruise earlier this year. We (credit to DH) spotted them sunbathing and swimming on MM as well as on the BB motu. There was also a lovely French woman who went topless on the ship, mostly around the pool and nearby loungers. People gave her nary a glance - at least not obviously. I did, however, notice that the crew clamored to offer service whenever she was close by. LOLOL.

• 2 weeks later...
There were a few topless beauties on our PG cruise earlier this year. We (credit to DH) spotted them sunbathing and swimming on MM as well as on the BB motu. There was also a lovely French woman who went topless on the ship, mostly around the pool and nearby loungers. People gave her nary a glance - at least not obviously. I did, however, notice that the crew clamored to offer service whenever she was close by. LOLOL.

Glad I read about that little detail now rather than being surprised by it once onboard. I'd have looked like a country rube for certain and probably gotten a few cheerful whacks from my gf as well. :D

Chalk it up to different cultures and keep right on cruising.

What a great little summary! Glad you had such a wonderful time.

BTW, it's "La Palette". Sigh, wish I was there right now!

You aren't the ONLY one! The FP flu just gets worse every sailing. I really have a monkey on my back after last month!

What say we all go back in 2013?

Wendy we need to get away from the cold hence Jan/Feb. I have been in both and while it is more muggy it is not really bad. April May starts being windy.

Jan/Feb is also low season so the ship is not as full. This year in June there were 345 people in a 325 ship and L'Etoile was packed every night. The water was lovely but a bit cooler than I would like. But not much humidity though which is nice.

I totally understand, Emdee. We never had the option to do that, except that one trip in April when David wasn't teaching. Now we're retired and can go when we like, but Jan/Feb is less incentive for us since we'll be in Florida and the Caribbean beckons a lot more cheaply. Some day.

Archived