Carnival said No to coctail party

antigualvr

At the cocktail party I arranged last year on the Spirit, at least 5-6 people who had pre-paid me for it did not show for whatever reason. It was the same the year before, so it's hard to believe there are problems with crashers.

Are you doing it again this year? Nudge nudge.

Just a thought but maybe the no had something to do with the tone of the person making the call? I bet if the person was demanding in any way, shape, or form they would be flatly denied. What's the old saying it's better to catch flies with honey not vinegar?

Why blame it on the person calling - clearly the person at CCL wasnt interested in helping.

.....on my past 4 cruises. Never had a problem booking them and always paid in full before the cruise. This time however, I must have called the wrong department. I was able to book it but I was not able to prepay it. It will now go on my S&S card.

No biggie, same difference.

wasiii

My last 3 cruises I've setup roll call get-togethers and no-one has shown up. Those things are a waste of time!

.....I've set up Meet & Mingles with CC members and a couple of them were flops, but for the most part they have been extremely successful. My current roll call was kind of slow for months, but now in the past two months, the roll call has been real active. We have a M&M, Cocktail Party and Slot Tournament that we are doing. On HMC, six of us have cabanas (there are only 15) and two other groups split the Private Oasis.

You have to keep the people motivated on the roll call to make it a success. Even though there are times that it is just futile.

:eek:

wasiii

Great info, thank you very much!!

She DID offer to book a meet and greet for us - with an open bar at regular prices.

Thanks to everyone who has answered!:)

I have also ordered lanyards for those who have paid to participate in my M&G. They have badge protectors and I will be making name tags to put into the badge protectors. This way Carnival staff will know who belongs and who doesn't.

I recall a time when CCL used to bend over backwards to make all passengers feel welcome.

This would not make me feel welcome at all.

I must disagree with Mach. I do think (and have felt it for a long time) that CCL is not fond of CC or it's members.

No, I don't think CC members should be treated better than any other passengers, but I don't think they should be treated poorly either.

I just got back from my cruise last week. I arranged the cocktail party for our roll call. I didn't call and speak with anyone personally. I arranged all the details through email with Patricia who is the group event coordinator. Just know in advance, before you email her, you have to have a specific number of people (at least 20). You also have to have your booking number, ship and sail date and tell her that you are responsible for payment of the entire amount. You have to give her the exact day and time that you prefer. She emailed me back within a day. The party was confirmed and the time we requested wasn't available but she gave me a new time. We were not even questioned about what kind of group it was or if we were associated with cruise critic. Her email is PVelazquez@carnival.com

We went on the Triumph this month. Did the coctail party also. I set mine up via email to... GroupEventPlanning@carnival.com

Told them it was family and friends. Most of us were. We had 6 cabins linked and added a few others from the roll call. I had to pay for 20. We only had 18 but I told them we had 20 and paid for the 20, no issues.

The contact on board met us in the designated lounge (Venezia) and waited to charge my S&S for the party until we were out in Intl. waters to avoid the sales tax. Our party was on Embarkation day during early dinner as we had late seating.

Best of luck to ya!

I recall a time when CCL used to bend over backwards to make all passengers feel welcome.

This would not make me feel welcome at all.

I must disagree with Mach. I do think (and have felt it for a long time) that CCL is not fond of CC or it's members.

No, I don't think CC members should be treated better than any other passengers, but I don't think they should be treated poorly either.

Agreed!

BUT CC members should not act poorly either! It seems SOME on here feel an entitlement and want to press their points and throw out the CC name like it gives them one. Just my .02

One of the reasons why CCL stopped doing the pre-arranged M&G is because they were being scheduled for 2:30pm on Embarkation Day. Had they arranged for the M&Gs to be scheduled for the first sea day at 2:30pm, they might have gotten a better response. JMHO and YMMV...

When I arranged a meet and greet on Princess, I initially was going to schedule it for embarkation day. The roll call folks unanimously had me push it back to the next day, which was a great call.

Sigh... what a pain in the posterior.

Once you get a firm number (and the money...) give groups a call and tell them that it's a bunch of family and friends. Do not mention Cruise Critic or they'll turn you down again.

There have been a number is instances where CC roll call parties like this have had many more folks attend than paid. Personally, I handle this by passing out specific colored wrist bands to all paticipants... no wrist band and you can't get in the door let alone get a drink...

:)

Hey Mach, I used name tags on the CC group cruise I ran and they worked great. No tag no drink. We had no crashers though so all was good.

Now to the other thing I was going to mention. We had 4 people that at the last minute could not do the cruise. One couple after boarding the ship had a sudden death in the family and had to leave the ship.

Another couple did not have the right paperwork to board. I tried to get their money back for the party and it was a no go per Carnevil....:(

Carnival's policy towards CC groups honestly sux on this point.:mad:

Agreed!

BUT CC members should not act poorly either! It seems SOME on here feel an entitlement and want to press their points and throw out the CC name like it gives them one. Just my .02

That is true of some passengers in general so I don't buy that as an excuse.

There are some people with that 'entitlement' attitude on Heald's blog...do you think CCL is going to ever treat Bloggers like they treat CC members??

I hardly think so.

Just how I'd want to start out my vacation: all stressed out trying to figure out how to put together a cocktail party.....so what, you can have an hour of cocktails with people you've never met? Your a better person than I, no thanks.

Just how I'd want to start out my vacation: all stressed out trying to figure out how to put together a cocktail party.....so what, you can have an hour of cocktails with people you've never met? Your a better person than I, no thanks.

Some of us like meeting other people and like arranging them and it really is no stress. I have arranged this with three different cruiselines and it is great and never got stressed. ;)

There shouldn't BE any stress...that's the point.

My last cruise our roll call arranged a M&G through CC roll call to meet at one of the slower bars inside (it was a cruise during spring break) on our first sea day.

We had about 8 people show up and most had one or two drinks. I like it because it was very casual and gave us a chance to put a face with a name. There were some there that could not drink because of medical reasons so it was good that we didn't try to arrange anything through Carnival.

No stress, no run-around with Carnival and no one had to keep track of payments from roll call members. . .just a suggestion:)

I now have life long friends that I have met through CC. It is not stressful to find kind hearted good people who enjoy your same addiction....cruising!

I understand that it is a paid party with open bar.

My point is that Carnival is treating CC people different than other lines. They will not book a CC group when OP is willing to pay the money for it... to the point that Host Mach says not to identify themselves as a CC group.

Why is Carnival anti CC? That is the question.

Other lines are providing space to the group for FREE (besides drinks obviously) with no guaranties that anybody is going to show up.

the difference here-- the meet and mingle on Royal is just a room-meeting place.

This 1 hour coctail hour features all you can drink in one hour.

Carnival loses money on these- people tend to hoarde drinks in that one hour. (not to even mention the crashers who do not pay but get freebies on the house.

You are not comparing apples to apples here

Certainly sounds like the OP is not having an easy time of it, and frustred by it. Hense the post here....

I agree...and I don't think organizing a cocktail party is supposed to cause stress.

I organized one for my friends and family. It was a piece of cake and it was a phenomenal party. CCL did a stand-up job with it. We paid for two hours and a DJ

I think it kinda sucks that if I cruise with a CC group, I may not get the same consideration....

Lie to get past it?? Claim it's just a group of friends?? Sure, anyone can lie, but isn't that kinda sucky??

If CCL seems to have 'issues' with CC groups, why is it just CCL that has the issues?? Other lines don't seem to have any issues.

It's just another of the changes under the new management that really is just plain stupid.

This 1 hour coctail hour features all you can drink in one hour.

Carnival loses money on these- people tend to hoarde drinks in that one hour. (not to even mention the crashers who do not pay but get freebies on the house.

You are not comparing apples to apples here

SO...if that's the case, why don't they raise the cost pp for the party instead of basically preventing CC members from having parties??

How do they prevent crashers when non CC members have private parties??

And not all CC members are total lushes for goodness sake :rolleyes:

It's all bull....They just really dislike CC.

IAnd not all CC members are total lushes for goodness sake :rolleyes:It's all bull....They just really dislike CC.

and you only need a few to ruin it for the rest.

I have done a few parties and each were great- I have used my own travel agent to set them up

and you only need a few to ruin it for the rest.

:confused: So, there are no non CC members out there that behave badly?? I don't understand CC members being singled out. This is what makes no sense to me.

You can't tell me that the only 'entitled', borish, drunken, nasty passengers that would take advantage of a private party are CC members can you??

That's what I don't get.

Sorry if my post made it sounds like I am stressed. Takes a hell of a lot more than this to stress me out, I was just looking for suggestions. You're right, I haven't met my other roll call members YET, but have been chatting for months I am looking forward to meeting them!

Archived