Over promotion

Keefy

I have sailed on Regatta, a great experience . My last 4 cruises were on Azamara. For the last few months at least I have been deluged with expensive promotional material from Oceania. Its a standing joke at home when the post is delivered. Today I got 5 glossy brochures with all sorts of discounts plus 2 e mail circulars all from Oceania. I get at least 5 a week.

Are sales so bad that this expensive marketing exercise is taking place?

If I could get the same experience on Oceania I get on Azamara I would maybe return but this constant delivery of brochures, featuring the same information and photos in each (White haired man, no socks) that I feel the company is on the skids.

How can one get off their mailing list?

Keefy

I have sailed on Regatta, a great experience . My last 4 cruises were on Azamara. For the last few months at least I have been deluged with expensive promotional material from Oceania. Its a standing joke at home when the post is delivered. Today I got 5 glossy brochures with all sorts of discounts plus 2 e mail circulars all from Oceania. I get at least 5 a week.

Are sales so bad that this expensive marketing exercise is taking place?

If I could get the same experience on Oceania I get on Azamara I would maybe return but this constant delivery of brochures, featuring the same information and photos in each (White haired man, no socks) that I feel the company is on the skids.

How can one get off their mailing list?

Keefy

So let me understand this. You won't sail on Oceania because you get too much mail from them?

Keefy--Just wanted to let you know that the white-haired with no socks does not appear in the brochure that I recieved in today's mail. He must have gotten tired of cruising and went on to something else!!! Those same people have been in the brochures for years. Keep an open mind about all the offerings Oceania has. It is a fantastic cruiseline with great food and fantastic service.

And if you truly object to the mail that you get from Oceania, you can always give them a call and someone in the Customer Service department will be glad to help you.

Bobi

Wonder if all that promotion is working? Haven't been able to get on their website all afternoon! Tried Regents, just to see, and couldn't get on theirs either. Don't really need to, but was just going to check on something.

Keefy--Just wanted to let you know that the white-haired with no socks does not appear in the brochure that I recieved in today's mail. He must have gotten tired of cruising and went on to something else!!! Those same people have been in the brochures for years. Keep an open mind about all the offerings Oceania has. It is a fantastic cruiseline with great food and fantastic service.

And if you truly object to the mail that you get from Oceania, you can always give them a call and someone in the Customer Service department will be glad to help you.

Bobi

Calling Customer Service to change mail preferences is, unfortunately, not as easy as it sounds. I have been trying to change my mailing address with Oceania for 2+ years, from office address to home address and they still don't have it right. I've written and called them numerous times and they haven't

changed it yet.

So let me understand this. You won't sail on Oceania because you get too much mail from them?

You obviously didnt understand, that was in no way one would draw a conclusion from my remarks.

I get far too much expensive direct mail from Oceania, I have sailed on them but now prefer the routes and value of Azamara. Constantly sending glossy brochures wont change that. Better routes and the smaller ships on them might effect a change, bigger ships like Marina dont work.

I guess it's all subjective. I have sailed on both AZ and O and enjoy both. Each has its own strengths, but both offer wonderful cruise itineraries. However, DH and I find ourselves on O more often because of the itineraries, what you may be calling routes. We board the Regatta on Aug.14 for Alaska, Canada and northwest, ending in San Francisco. AZ doesn't offer that. In Feb. we will again be on the Regatta in Australia and New Zealand. AZ doesn't go there either. And if I didn't receive brochures, I wouldn't have known about those itineraries. I also love receiving the brochures as I cut them up so my travel journals are now illustrated ~ but, o.k., that's just me.

Harriet

Up to a couple of years ago, we got nothing but the rare (once every other year) flier (a few pages, and not brochures) from Oceania despite having sailed with them in 2004 and again in 2008. Only recently do we start to get several books a year. We (as on this board) have always been anonymous to all cruise lines, so they couldn't have known our postings.

...we've cruised NCL, Celebrity and Oceania, we cruised NCL in 2006 and still get literature and online offers from them, same with X, and the same with O. If you cruise with any of the companies and they have your home address and Email address, you're fair game for sending out flyers and catalogues...

...interesting thing to note, when we were on one of the X cruises we talked to one of the on-board travel planners about Azamara, and now we get stuff from them as well, I'd say we get at least three items of cruise related information each month. We've also received stuff from Regent, Seven Seas and Seaborne, so I do believe they read each others mail from time to time...

cheers,

the Imagineer

To remove yourself from the mailing lists click on the bottom of your next email from Oceania where it says update profile. On the next page it says Unsubscribe From All. Click there and see what happens. I'm not sure what you do then since I don't want to click it in case it causes you to be automatically removed. But on other sites it is very easy and very effective. Give it a try.

Too bad there is not a way to OPT OUT of some mailings but keep others

I would like to get the regular brochures but do not need that many sale brochures, I get the emails as well.

Looks like it is all or nothing on the profile page

They could save some money on printing & postage & use the extra funds for better entertainers ;)

Lyn

In the marketing world, advertisers (or their mail houses) sometimes fail to vet one mailing list against another. The result is that one recipient may receive multi mails (snail or e-mail) of the same offer which is annoying to say the least. Even if the advertiser runs one list against others the result is not fool proof. There can be differences in formating the name and address on the lists which will fail to excluded duplicate mailings.

An advertiser doesn't want to annoy prospective customers but these things do happen in this less than perfect world.

In the marketing world, advertisers (or their mail houses) sometimes fail to vet one mailing list against another. The result is that one recipient may receive multi mails (snail or e-mail) of the same offer which is annoying to say the least. Even if the advertiser runs one list against others the result is not fool proof. There can be differences in formating the name and address on the lists which will fail to excluded duplicate mailings.

An advertiser doesn't want to annoy prospective customers but these things do happen in this less than perfect world.

All the sale brochures I received were different

I think they go by the Oceania member number as they all had that on the mailing label

Lyn

Archived