Single supplement question

wizard-of-roz

I do apologize if this has been asked & answered. I can't find it anywhere.

I want to cruise by myself. I've heard that HAL has the most accomodating Single Supplement fares. Can you tell me what they are? I hope they're not 200%! :( And, have any of you tried it?

I just go to whatever cruise or cruise line I'm interested in and search for a cruise for two.

Write down the prize.

Go back and do the same cruise for one.

I've found the cruise lines all do it differently.

I've also had people tell me that a certain cruise line charges 200 percent for a single. But, I've priced it out and it wasn't 200 percent for the one I wanted. It was about 150 percent.

I've heard there are a few sailings where there isn't a single supplement. Not sure if that's all the time, or for last minute deals. Perhaps someone who is more familiar will chime in.

I suggest you just price them out online to see what you can find.

I've been primarily booking a single supplement for over a decade of several cruises a year. I book an inside cabin, and generally pay 150% of the per person, double occupancy rate. My understanding has been that outside cabins have the same rate, but I have also seen the 190% figure posted. Veranda cabins are generally 200%.

I have also seen some people get better rates on some cruises; worse rates on others. Guess it just depends on how well any given cruise is selling at the time one is booking.

I have also seen it posted that HAL will withdraw single occupancy availability regardless of rate at some point---again, if the cruise is selling well, or almost sold out. I have never been denied a booking, so can't speak from experience on that one.

I want to cruise by myself. I've heard that HAL has the most accomodating Single Supplement fares. Can you tell me what they are? I hope they're not 200%! :( And, have any of you tried it?

They used to have good rates but they are changing that. I've found further out you'll likely get a better rate. The exception seems to be Alaska and Bermuda. I paid 200% for Bermuda and booked it well over a year ahead. I think you'd be better of comparing total price. I got a good price on a balcony on Celebrity for Nov.2012. I'd generally pay more for the same cruise on HAL at 150% in an oceanview room.

Roz, if you want a roomie, let me know. I'll be yours and Brenda's (or new furbaby's) cabin mate! :)

Roz, if you want a roomie, let me know. I'll be yours and Brenda's (or new furbaby's) cabin mate! :)

Of course, you'd be a great roommate! :) Unfortunately, when you travel with a Service Dog she is the roommate. She doesn't allow for much "wiggle-room" when it comes to potty, feeding and grooming time. So, vacationing with her can be like taking "Granny" or the neediest child on vacation with you.

Thanks Marcia. I was thinking of doing a "make-up" cruise if I couldn't complete my September 24th cruise because of "Team Training" with a Successor Dog. Boy, that would be one way to initiate a new dog, on a cruise ship!!!!!

My life is at a "standstill" until I hear from CCI one way or the other. And, I don't dare butt-in too much!!!!

They used to have good rates but they are changing that. I've found further out you'll likely get a better rate. The exception seems to be Alaska and Bermuda. I paid 200% for Bermuda and booked it well over a year ahead. I think you'd be better of comparing total price. I got a good price on a balcony on Celebrity for Nov.2012. I'd generally pay more for the same cruise on HAL at 150% in an oceanview room.

Thanks for the info.

I've been primarily booking a single supplement for over a decade of several cruises a year. I book an inside cabin, and generally pay 150% of the per person, double occupancy rate. My understanding has been that outside cabins have the same rate, but I have also seen the 190% figure posted. Veranda cabins are generally 200%.

I have also seen some people get better rates on some cruises; worse rates on others. Guess it just depends on how well any given cruise is selling at the time one is booking.

I have also seen it posted that HAL will withdraw single occupancy availability regardless of rate at some point---again, if the cruise is selling well, or almost sold out. I have never been denied a booking, so can't speak from experience on that one.

This is all good to know, thanks.

I have discussed this with the FCC on my last trip, he told me that HAL will allocate a certain percent of cabins to a lower Single Supplement, exactly how much that supplement is depends on the cruise. However once this allocation is sold you will expect to pay 200% single supplement. So the earlier you book, the better off you will be in getting a better rate.

FYI there is a super useful CC search feature in the tool bar just to the right of the logout icon. Once it's opened you can click on "Advance Search" to narrow your search down to just the HAL forum and search for common keywords or phrases such as "single supplement".

Happy sails. :)

We are taking a single friend on a cruise for his 75th birthday. We went into the 'Cruise Finder' section of the HAL site and input the appropriate info, stating '1 passenger'. When the rate was calculated it was the rate with the single supplement already applied...so we knew what the true cost would be.

We are taking a single friend on a cruise for his 75th birthday. We went into the 'Cruise Finder' section of the HAL site and input the appropriate info, stating '1 passenger'. When the rate was calculated it was the rate with the single supplement already applied...so we knew what the true cost would be.

Now, that's truly helpful. Thank you!

I read, somewhere, that the Prisendam has two single cabins. Can anyone else verify this? :confused:

Actually, the Prinsendam has three single cabins---the only single cabins in the fleet. There are two outside cabins, far forward on I forget which deck. It may be Upper Promenade.

There's also a single inside on Dolphin Deck, starboard side, just aft of the forward elevator bank. I have stayed in this cabin, and think it's great for one. Lots of room!

The thing to watch out for when looking at those single cabins is the price, compared to the single supplement in another cabin. Sometimes it costs less to choose a cabin you prefer and pay the supplement.

HAL does have a single rate (150%) and a single share plan, where they will try to match you with a same-gender, same smoking preference person. I have done both. On the share, there was not a match for me, so I got the room at single occupancy cost.

On the share, there was not a match for me, so I got the room at single occupancy cost.

To be more clear, I think you mean the "per person, double occupancy" rate.

I've done the guaranteed share three times on cruises of 33, 34, and 35 days. Two out of three were great experiences; the third one was :eek:.

While on the Oosterdam this past April/May I booked a Back/to/Back Alaska cruise for 2012. The Single rate is now 200% for ocean view. Doubt I'll take it at a totaql U.S. price of $4044. That's highway robbery.:mad:

I booked the Statendam, Southbound from Seward to Vancouver, CAT "L-500" SOLO 9/4/2011! I assumed the Single Supplement Rate was 150%. Seeing the Post's on "CC" regarding SOLO Rates, I checked with my Internet TA and it was 200%. Whenever I have sailed on the Ryndam or Statendam, this Cabin has always been 150%! I was "shocked", and cancelled my cruise, and bit the bullet! Luckily I had HAL's "CPP" Insurance! Learned a lesson the hard way = don't assume anything anymore!Just another "Senior Moment"!:mad:

Actually, the Prinsendam has three single cabins---the only single cabins in the fleet. There are two outside cabins, far forward on I forget which deck. It may be Upper Promenade.

There's also a single inside on Dolphin Deck, starboard side, just aft of the forward elevator bank. I have stayed in this cabin, and think it's great for one. Lots of room!

The thing to watch out for when looking at those single cabins is the price, compared to the single supplement in another cabin. Sometimes it costs less to choose a cabin you prefer and pay the supplement.

Yes, it looks like it stateroom R 501 on Dolphin Deck. According to the HAL website, this stateroom appears to contain TWO single beds! :D

While on the Oosterdam this past April/May I booked a Back/to/Back Alaska cruise for 2012. The Single rate is now 200% for ocean view. Doubt I'll take it at a totaql U.S. price of $4044. That's highway robbery.:mad:

Well why not book an interior stateroom as do I, & go to an outside deck to enjoy the view! :confused: A 200% single supplement is overpriced for an ocean view, with the only difference between the two categories being a tub & a window! Big deal! :mad:

Well why not book an interior stateroom as do I, & go to an outside deck to enjoy the view! :confused: A 200% single supplement is overpriced for an ocean view, with the only difference between the two categories being a tub & a window! Big deal! :mad:

I think the inside are also 200% so not a huge savings.

Yes, it looks like it stateroom R 501 on Dolphin Deck. According to the HAL website, this stateroom appears to contain TWO single beds! :D

It contains ONE single bed. That's why it's called a "single cabin". :rolleyes:

Archived