Chef's Table Experiences

OK Rancher

I've read that the Carnival one is in a library somewhere? I would say that isn't worth the money, IMO. You can spend something similar in a very nice land restaurant and get a REAL chef's table (in the kitchen) where you can see some of the action, be able to communicate more with the chef as he is cooking, etc.

The dinner is supposed to be in the kitchen or the library, with a kitchen walk-through after a reception with an officer of the ship. It's a four-course meal and living where I do - in rural Oklahoma - there are no such things as Chef's Table dinners, just chain restaurants. This will have to do. I'm keeping a positive attitude.

Which cruise line? We've done the Princess Chef's Table twice and loved it (coming from New York where there is plenty of good food!). The social aspect is great as well. DO IT.

You'll love it.

I'm sad that I won't be able to do it again since becoming gluten intolerant :(.

We did the Chef's Table on Carnival (Glory, I believe it was) and it was great. First of all you go back with the chef and see the kitchen and how it works, which is really fascinating. You have some champagne and some horsdeurves (sp?). You watch them make chocolate melting cake as part of the tour. Then you go to a private room off the dining room and are served a several-course meal. With the exception of one wine/drink server (all the wine is included), all the other "servers" are the assistant chefs. They plate or make some of the courses right in front of you. The chef talks about the food, answers your questions. It is a small group, maybe a dozen people. The food is fantastic, the other people at the table are all foodies like yourself so you automatically have something in common. One of the desserts is the chocolate melting cake which you saw prepared. At the end you get a photo of the group around the table, a copy of the menu and a cookbook. Just really a delightful evening and one of the best experiences I've had on any cruise so far.

Thanks GatorMom,

I'm really doing this as a surprise for my better half. But also, having lived in a big city for the bulk of my life, I do really miss the fine dining that many have available to them year-round. It sounds like a great time, and I'll be on the Legend. And it sounds like I'll really have an even bigger smile on my face that evening!

We did our first Chef's Table in November 2011 with Princess, and it was a grand experience from donning chef's jackets, entering the galley for our champagne and 5 appetizers, to the large table in the restaurant adorned with a lovely bouquet and candles. Each participant had their own server and bus boy. The chef present a great meal...so much to eat ...followed with desserts, pciture with the chef and a cookbook. For us, it was well worth the extra money...the ambience, the pampering, the food, and the other guests...all made a magical evening.

I did this on Carnival - it is totally worth the extra price, IMO. Go in HUNGRY - the food is incredible and it just keeps coming - numerous appetizers, courses and desserts (and wines) - I have honestly never eaten so much at one dinner but I didn't want to miss even one dish. Most things are not on the main dining menu, except the famous Carnival chocolate melting cake. It's not just dinner, it's an unforgettable experience!

Unbelievable experience. Yes, it was in the library but we started in the galley with champagne and 3 or 4 appetizers. Every course was presented personally by the chef. and all the wine you could drink. Only 12 of us and worth every single penny!

We've done it twice and enjoyed it. I don't think I'd want to do it the third time but can go to the speciality restaurant for less money and have a little more choice of dinner.

Crown Princess "In the kitchen"

Moet Chandon Brut Champagne

Tuna tartar/ Mini quiche provencal/ Roasted new potatoes with sour cream.

Dinner started with Risotto with lobster tail and claw (TO DIE FOR).

Lemon Sorbet

then Roasted Veal Shank and Veal tender carved tableside. With Vegetable and Mousseline Potatoes.

Potted Stilton with port wine and walnuts. Rosemarry Biscotti.

Iced Amaratto Parfait vanilla and brandy.

Grand Princess in Athens

Blue crab margarita w avocado & mango,

Tuta tartar w wasabi and pickled ginger in Belgian endive.

Bistro mini cheese w truffle & cherry tomato.

Bliss red potatoes w sour cream & caviar.

Dinner started with Risotto Italian arborio rice w fruit of the adriatic.

Lemoon sorbet

Roasted Veal shank

You can see they were pretty much the same and we have two of the same cookbooks. We had a ball meeting new people the first time and we knew some people on the second cruise from Cruise Critic.

If you look up my reviews u may see more info.

• 5 weeks later...
Is it possible to do a Chef's Table with dietary restrictions? My wife doesn't eat meat and neither of us eats pork or shellfish.

Generally if you have such large dietary restrictions as you mention, then no - the Chef's table is not for you. They have a pre-set menu with wine pairings and I am sure you could ask about a special menu, but I doubt they could accomodate that since all the courses are closely paired with wine, cooked in small batches timed to arrive at close proximity serving times--it just puzzles me how such a specialized menu could be accoomodated. But hey, you can check--wouldn't be the first time I was wrong! (From my experience on RCI and Silversea)

We did the Chef's Table on Ruby Princess last year. We really enjoyed the tour of the kitchen. The appetizers served inthe kitchen were really good.

I even learned something. I didnt know that Steak Tartar was made from Prime Filet. It ended up being one of my favorite dishes now.

Dinner itself was great. I will 2nd the vote for the Lobster and risotto. Best I have ever had anywhere.

We were also given photos of the group and with the Chef. Plus a cookbook and the Ladies got a rose.

We also have reservations for the Chef's Table on Carnival Magic in September. Could someone tell me what the dress code is for the men and women? Thanks!:o

On Crown Princess last year consensus was coats/ties and cocktail dresses--formal wear would have been too much but too casual

wouldn't have done justice to the effort of the chef and his staff. Presume Carnival much the same. Great fun--for the little they make from it, they really go all out:)

I personally did not go on the Chef's Table adventure but my brother and his wife did. They Love it. As stated before, they began in the Kitchen and ended up with numerous grand items served to them by the various chefs. They could not stop raving about the service, wine and the food. This was on the Carnival Sensation last May. I will definately make this a priority my next cruise. I hope you have a grand time.

Trish

PS...I'm jealous!:)

• 2 weeks later...
Generally if you have such large dietary restrictions as you mention, then no - the Chef's table is not for you. They have a pre-set menu with wine pairings and I am sure you could ask about a special menu, but I doubt they could accomodate that since all the courses are closely paired with wine, cooked in small batches timed to arrive at close proximity serving times--it just puzzles me how such a specialized menu could be accoomodated. But hey, you can check--wouldn't be the first time I was wrong! (From my experience on RCI and Silversea)

Actually, they will accomodate special dietary requests. We did the Chefs Table on Carnival Legend earleir this year. My husband does not eat seafood, I do not eat beef, and my sister can not have nuts or seeds.. they were AWESOME about accomodating those oddities, making different dishes for those of us with dietary needs. There were a few others out of our dozen that had similar allergies to nuts & seafood. When you receive your reservation confirmation they specifically ask about any dietary restrictions.

• 2 months later...

Did the Chef's Table on the Carnival Pride in Feb. Could not recommend it more highly--quality, quantity, company...I was solo as my wife is not a foodie and I had a great time. They were accommodating of my nut allergy, no problem. Chef was very engaging and happy to answer any and all questions about sourcing, operations, etc. Definitely come very hungry and thirsty.

• 2 weeks later...

We did it on the on the star princess. It was awesome....food drinks company just great.....we got a picture, cookbook and a rose. Dont know if I would do it again but so glad we did it once.......you need to sign up with the mader de as soon as you can....they only take so many people.....

Archived