Would an offer of double latitudes cruise credits get you to book a cruise?

Starry Eyes

Would double cruise credits encourage you to book a cruise during a promotion?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Would double cruise credits encourage you to book a cruise during a promotion?

• Yes, I could be much more likely to book a cruise if I would get two credits.
    • Maybe, maybe not. I would consider booking.
    • No, an extra cruise credit would not matter at all.

Royal Caribbean just announced they will have "Diamonds in December" again this year. During December RCI will give double cruise credits to their mid and upper level loyalty members as well as offering some token gifts. This program seems to motivate many loyalty members to book cruises in December, including the relatively slack times in early December. I am curious whether latitudes members could be so easily motivated.

If NCL were to offer double cruise credits, would you be motivated to schedule a cruise during the promotion?

Royal Caribbean just announced they will have "Diamonds in December" again this year. During December RCI will give double cruise credits to their mid and upper level loyalty members as well as offering some token gifts. This program seems to motivate many loyalty members to book cruises in December, including the relatively slack times in early December. I am curious whether latitudes members could be so easily motivated.

If NCL were to offer double cruise credits, would you be motivated to schedule a cruise during the promotion?

How long have you worked for the NCL marketing department?

Just kidding....

To answer your question no...Rewards from the cruiselines anymore are not worth a hoot....;)

This would not affect my choices.

Having been Platinum for many years I find the main benefit is that it has allowed us to meet a number of people on board which have turned into friendships thus presenting me with some nice perks over time. How people use (or abuse) this potential access is up to them.

I really think that the cruise industry as a whole should be looking at their rewards programs to entice cruisers to their line. Latitudes is worthless, other then a better/faster check in line, IMO. However, if they were to add a couple of things, like maybe a welcome back sign and a couple of balloons, or a coupon for a free soda or maybe a plate of goodies in your room with a coupon for a 2 for 1 specialty dinner coupon, I think that people would stop and take notice. If the company did it right, it could be a reward as well as a possible upsell opportunity. ;)

Not sure. I am an avid NCL cruiser but I don't cruise for the perks.

With that said, NCL will probably be the first cruise line where we achieve any type of loyalty status. But to book a promo - it would depend on the itineraries and ships available during that promotion. We like new ports and new ships so if it were only open to say the E./W. Caribbean on the Star/Sun/Spirit - we would pass. However, the Epic in the Med, or a New England or Bermuda itinerary - maybe.

I am Diamond on RCI and I know many are rabid RCI loyalist just because of those booking perks. I jump around and consider myself an equal opportunity cruiser but many will refuse to book anything but RCI for fear of losing perks.

Maybe NCL should take a look at their loyalty plan and see if there is something that should be tweaked?

The repeat cruisers on RCI are, I'm sure, high.

I'm Diamond plus on Royal caribbean and the perks are great. Love the special touches free drinks every night, $225 off balcony's etc. Am about to take my first cruise on Norwegian. Hope I'm not disappointed.

You won't be if you are booked in a suite. :D

I don't understand all the comments about the Lattitudes perks being worthless. I have been platinum for quite a while, and think the perks are great !!!

Have those who make the negative comments experienced the perks, or are the comments just sour grapes rants ??

I forget what the $$ amounts are, but since a cruise will cost a few thousand, the extra incentive is nice, I will take it. But, to think I would run out and book just because of that - I don't think so.

I'm Diamond plus on Royal caribbean and the perks are great. Love the special touches free drinks every night, $225 off balcony's etc. Am about to take my first cruise on Norwegian. Hope I'm not disappointed.

Well, you are bound to miss the free drinks, private lounge and other D+ perks. If you are in a full suite, NCL will give you some nice perks and special attention. If you are not in a full suite, try to go in with an open mind and try not to compare it to the D+ experience. Royal has a much better loyalty program (i'm diamond). NCL is a casual, fun, easygoing line, and I hope you have a nice cruise. I enjoy both lines, different styles for different cruises, just like I enjoy having jeans and dresses in my closet.

I forget what the $$ amounts are, but since a cruise will cost a few thousand, the extra incentive is nice, I will take it. But, to think I would run out and book just because of that - I don't think so.

I always book in the best price months which are SEPT -DEC so it's been nice the last 3 yrs to be rewarded in Dec.

How long have you worked for the NCL marketing department?

Just kidding....

To answer your question no...Rewards from the cruiselines anymore are not worth a hoot....;)

HeeHee. I am not in NCL's marketing department, but maybe they should take notice. So far The poll suggests that a significant number of cruisers would consider booking simply for an extra cruise credit; in certain circumstances that might be a cheaper incentive for NCL to offer than a price drop. In this age of email advertising, they could even make such a marketing offer to selected cruisers to fill underbooked ships rather than as a blanket offer. The cost would be low. While Jessemom and many Platinum cruisers would decline such an offer, others would probably accept.

No, because even the platinum level rewards are insignificant.

I feel exactly the same way.

I stopped cruising Carnival after 9 cruises with them. I was one cruise away from platinum (or whatever they call it) but it does not matter because the perks are not that great and Carnival's product has gone downhill.:(

...and when I advance to gold the perks are the same ones I get in a suite, so that would not interest me much. But if I needed just two more to advance to platinum I would be tempted because those perks are worth over a hundred bucks on every cruise!

I met a retired doctor on the Star who cruised so much they made him super platinum (not sure that's official:D) and he was granted Cagney's privileges even when in a mini suite. He took the MR cruise every other week! I wonder what he'll do now???

I don't understand all the comments about the Lattitudes perks being worthless. I have been platinum for quite a while, and think the perks are great !!!

Have those who make the negative comments experienced the perks, or are the comments just sour grapes rants ??

When I was at the Silver and up Latitudes wine and cheese party on the Jade we talked to a few platinum members who were a little less then happy about their latitudes perks. I'm only silver but I have spent some serious coin with NCL and I think the return on the money is a little lacking.

That said their fares are among the cheapest, so I guess you get what you pay for.

The most important element of booking a cruise is price, itinerary and ship, anything else is just gravy. You would have to be very specific of what you mean by, "Cruise Credits".

HeeHee. I am not in NCL's marketing department, but maybe they should take notice. So far The poll suggests that a significant number of cruisers would consider booking simply for an extra cruise credit; in certain circumstances that might be a cheaper incentive for NCL to offer than a price drop. In this age of email advertising, they could even make such a marketing offer to selected cruisers to fill underbooked ships rather than as a blanket offer. The cost would be low. While Jessemom and many Platinum cruisers would decline such an offer, others would probably accept.

Your middle question on your poll said maybe maybe not so take that one is out because it is moot. Seems almost dead even without that middle fuzzy poll question.

I'll take the better pricing without the perks because the perks amount to nothing on most lines I have cruised unless you book an upper end cabin. Which I have done. For the general cruiser it means nothing.

Booked the Dawn with NCL's upgrade promotion a few months ago and got a great balcony for $1300. Can't beat that....Keep the perks and give me a great price and I am happy....

No, it would not. However, I think NCL should chamge the loyalty program. I don't think its fair that a four night cruise is as much worth as a 17 night cruise. Maybe one point every seven night or something would be better. Double up if in a full suite.

Your middle question on your poll said maybe maybe not so take that one is out because it is moot. Seems almost dead even without that middle fuzzy poll question.

I'll take the better pricing without the perks because the perks amount to nothing on most lines I have cruised unless you book an upper end cabin. Which I have done. For the general cruiser it means nothing.

Booked the Dawn with NCL's upgrade promotion a few months ago and got a great balcony for $1300. Can't beat that....Keep the perks and give me a great price and I am happy....

You have a good point. then again, any hypothetical question is apt to be a bit fuzzy, and, in the end, all hypothetical questions are moot. I was a bit curious if extra latitudes cruise credits would influence people's booking decisions. So far about 1/3 say it likely would, another 1/3 say it might and 1/3 say it would not. Since I am 2 cruises from platinum, the offer of an extra credit could hypothetically easily influence my own decision, but I am surprised how many other people on these boards might also be influenced. The results might explain why RCI is utilizing this tactic in again in December. If it works, it seems like a cheap way to sway people who love to cruise, probably cheaper than dropping prices on poorly selling cruises, and it provides the additional benefit of inspiring continued loyalty.

Archived