Hoho bus info for London

Wanted to post info regarding hoho bus that may assist you. We took a hoho using the red line from our hotel in Hyde Park. The bus only runs in a clockwise direction and basically has only one route. This made it difficult for example to get from Buckingham Palace back to Picadilly Circus for example. The Original bus company has 5 routes and in some cases goes counter clockwise also making travel a little bit easier. Both tours include a canal ride that leave from the same place.

We used the Red company and was somewhat disappointed. The red line had either a tour guide or canned info on alternate buses.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment with the Red company. We hadn't heard of that one (unless it's the same as the Big Bus Company?) .

We used the Original London Bus Company and really enjoyed it. Two of our buses had the earpiece commentary and two others live tour guides. Only 1 of the 5 routes has the live tour guide (if I recall correctly).

Both guides were very good (and funny). Our last guide helped us figure out which stop would be closest to our hotel as the routing changed a little bit because it was one of the last buses of the evening. He also helped a lot of others figure out where they needed to get off. He was so friendly & personable.

We didn't have time for the canal ride 'cause we got a late start (it was pouring rain in the morning) but that was cool it was included.

I highly recommend this HOHO bus company.

We did not have time pre-cruise to get off the hop on hop off, so we could not actually see much, not Buckingham Palace for example. We spent our time at the Churchill WWII museum which was really good. We could see Parliament and Big Ben from the street. The Hop on for us was a waste of a lot of money. I would only go if I had time to hop off!

You want to know something.......you really don't need those Hop on Hop off buses. While I wouldn't characterize them as rip offs, with an oyster card, a quick study of a bus map, you can ride along on the regular London buses for as little as 4 quid for an entire day. True no commentary. True no open top deck (which might be an advantage if it rains)......but then again since I have come to know London fairly well, maybe I'm being unfair.

.........we could not actually see much, not Buckingham Palace for example. !

All ho-ho buses (and tour coaches) stop at the side of Buck Palace, by the Mews, you then have to walk round the corner to the front.

If a ho-ho driver took his bus to the front of the Palace, you would see him again next day - his head on a spike at Traitor's Gate :D

And if Stan calls Old Father Thames a "canal" again, his head may end up on the adjacent spike :D

Both companies - Original and Big Bus - operate two main & one minor routes, the main sight-seeing routes are virtually identical, and none of the routes of either company run both ways (there's plenty of gyratories & one-way-streets where that'd be fun), though there's frequent crossovers and common sections in an attempt to provide as comprehensive and flexible a system as possible.

There's pros & cons to both services, Original seems to get marginally better reviews.

To some extent you need to plan your day along the route, but I've always found good ho-ho services throughout the world. A simple & carefree overview of a city, plus the opportunity to dwell where you choose.

London would be better with twice as many ho-ho buses, wouldn't it, Globaliser? :p

JB :)

I also heartily recommend the HoHo buses. For the price you pay for a one day service, you can ride in the open deck of these touristy buses. after all, that's waht we all are tourists. It is a great way to see London. We sat out in the open and got some terrific pixs of many of London's most famous attractions. Plus, we learned something, that Churchill hated the statue of him put up around Westminster Abbey. Why, because all the pigeons rested on his head.

Anyway, a great way to see London, and do try and take that free Thames River cruise. A great way to end an exciting day.

PS, as I have said many times, you can also buy a discounted Fish and Chips meal at the Sherlock Holmes Pub, a great attraction in itself. For 3 Pounds, you get a decent meal, and get to enjoy the Pub.

Cheers

Len

Despite living only a couple of hours from London I don't go that often but when I do I nearly always do one of the Ho-Ho bus routes and find I learn something new every time - I would definitely recommend them. I think the commentaries are well worth the money. Not much to choose between the two companies.

Still wondering about that canal though...

• 6 months later...

I’ve been researching both of the HOHO companies but the problem I’m running into is the Big Bus is the only one I can find an actual map of the routes. Am I missing a link or does the Original Bus not have a map online? I see where it lists the locations, but for me that’s hard to tell how close a stop is to our hotel (Chancery Court on High Holborn).

Thanks for any info, Brenda

I’ve been researching both of the HOHO companies but the problem I’m running into is the Big Bus is the only one I can find an actual map of the routes. Am I missing a link or does the Original Bus not have a map online? I see where it lists the locations, but for me that’s hard to tell how close a stop is to our hotel (Chancery Court on High Holborn).

Thanks for any info, Brenda

http://www.theoriginaltour.com/uploads/files/E-Map2010.pdf

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
You want to know something.......you really don't need those Hop on Hop off buses. While I wouldn't characterize them as rip offs, with an oyster card, a quick study of a bus map, you can ride along on the regular London buses for as little as 4 quid for an entire day. True no commentary. True no open top deck (which might be an advantage if it rains)......but then again since I have come to know London fairly well, maybe I'm being unfair.

Couldn't agree more. London is such an easy city to navigate by using public transportation. We too had an Oyster card and everything we wanted to see was in zone 1.

We're going to be in London for couple of days and are interested in doing a HOHO tour. We're staying at the Crown Plaza in Kensington (Cromwell Rd.) and apparently there is a stop very close by - just wondering which line it is?

We also had an amazing day using the Original Bus Company..at one point the driver had a lull in schedule (we were the only ones on at that time) he told us where the closest restroom was and actually waited for us..He was so interesting for the short time we were with him..almost like having a personal guide...And like those that mentioned above we found the live guides to be almost like standup comedians....We loved this amazing way to get an overview, and then over the next few days took the tube (minding the gap) to get to the places we wanted to spend more time...And yes..as Len said ..do purchase the fish n chips option at the Sherlock Holmes Pub....

One of my favorite shopping days was which I must mention, the time we spent in Camden Town at the Camden Market :eek:..an all time favorite..

Can't wait to go back to "London" :D:D

For those in the know, would you recommend purchasing HOHO tickets in advance, or is it easy to obtain at the stops? Thank you for any assistance :)

Not necessary at all to purchase in advance..Just walkup and purchase as you get on even with a credit card..we used our Capitol One (no foreign fees)..just don't forget to add the fish n chips as they will offer it at that time...Enjoy !!

My advice for the Hop On/Hop Off buses is do not hop off. Stay on for the complete circuit or circuits. The buses run too infrequently to make good transportation between attractions. I waited a long time between routes and the driver sat for ages before starting his circuit.

I had to follow along with a map to get a feel for the layout of London. The buses will whiz past the most interesting sights and get stuck in traffic at the dullest spots.

How long would the entire tour take if we just stayed on the HO HO bus and didnt get off? Wondering if its best to get on earlier in the day, take the whole tour around, and then just figure out where you want to get off at?

• 2 weeks later...
We also had an amazing day using the Original Bus Company..at one point the driver had a lull in schedule (we were the only ones on at that time) he told us where the closest restroom was and actually waited for us..He was so interesting for the short time we were with him..almost like having a personal guide...And like those that mentioned above we found the live guides to be almost like standup comedians....We loved this amazing way to get an overview, and then over the next few days took the tube (minding the gap) to get to the places we wanted to spend more time...And yes..as Len said ..do purchase the fish n chips option at the Sherlock Holmes Pub....

One of my favorite shopping days was which I must mention, the time we spent in Camden Town at the Camden Market :eek:..an all time favorite..

Can't wait to go back to "London" :D:D

So it was because of you, we had to wait an extra 15 minutes for that bus to come. Finally, the truth comes out. :D:D:D:

Cheers

Len

So it was because of you, we had to wait an extra 15 minutes for that bus to come. Finally, the truth comes out. :D:D:D:

Cheers

Len

You Betcha..guilty as charged. :eek:

Cheers to you Len, and thanks for waiting :D

Archived