Transport from Albany to Bayonne NJ Port

moneypit

Haven't been on a cruise in 25 years and need to make plans now for 2012....anyway thinking about using RCL Explorer to Bermuda going out of NJ instead of going on NCL "Star" in NYC. (I was not able to find Bermuda reviews for Star as it appears to have been crusing Alaska for awhile)..therefore, does anyone have a recommendation on best transport option to use to get to Bayonne NJ?

How is it to drive to Bayonne? I am not sure if it is easy to navigate the area if you are not familiar with the area plus not sure if there is parking available for 7 days closeby .

I have never needed to use a train. Does Amtrak have something to get you close to the port? Would I go to Newark? or is there a better option? thanks

Edited by moneypit

moneypit - please post your questions on the East Coast Departures board. You will get a wider response.

If you can drive to NYC, you can drive to Bayonne - just cross the George Washington Bridge and take the NJ Turnpike to Bayonne. Parking is $19/day. By train you would go to Newark Penn Station and take a cab for about $50 each way. I think there may be a cruise bus option as well from Albany.

It makes no sense at all to travel to Bayonne from Albany via NYC.

The easiest way is taking the Thruway south to Route 287 South in NJ. Follow that to Route 78 Eastbound, take that to the NJ Turnpike to Bayonne. I think you need exit 14A onto 440 south, I'm sure there are signs or someone can give directions from there.

There's ample parking at the port.

Driving will take maybe three hours or so, and it's a very easy trip as long as you avoid rush hour in NJ. If you get to the Ramapo rest area before 7:30 am, stop and have coffee and wait an hour and you'll miss the worst of it.

Edited by ducklite

It makes no sense at all to travel to Bayonne from Albany via NYC.

The easiest way is taking the Thruway south to Route 287 South in NJ. Follow that to Route 78 Eastbound, take that to the NJ Turnpike to Bayonne. I think you need exit 14A onto 440 south, I'm sure there are signs or someone can give directions from there.

There's ample parking at the port.

Driving will take maybe three hours or so, and it's a very easy trip as long as you avoid rush hour in NJ. If you get to the Ramapo rest area before 7:30 am, stop and have coffee and wait an hour and you'll miss the worst of it.

It would be shorter to take the Thruway south to Suffern, and instead of I-287, take NJ 17 to Lodi, I-80 East to the New Jersey Turnpike south then as above...

It would be shorter to take the Thruway south to Suffern, and instead of I-287, take NJ 17 to Lodi, I-80 East to the New Jersey Turnpike south then as above...

Uh, have you traveled that route?

The extra five miles on the fairly rural and uncongested Route 287 is worth it's weight in gold.

Route 17 is hell on earth, and I avoid it at all costs, regardless of the time of day.

Not to mention you avoid NJT tolls :-)

Edited by ducklite

Our neighbors have taken the Yankee Trails bus for NCL cruises several times and have been pleased with the service.

However, I've driven this corridor for 28 years (I live near Albany but my family is in NJ) and Route 17 - depending on the time of day - is usually our preferred route. Admittedly, I prefer it on a Sunday (the malls are closed:p). I find 287 is just too far out of the way.

• 2 years later...

This appears to be an old board and I'm wondering whether there's any new information on this subject. There will be five of us with luggage traveling to Cape Liberty for a RCL cruise to Bermuda in September. None of us want to do the drive nor do we have a vehicle that can carry five women AND our luggage. Ideas??

Since this is 3 years old, you could have just posted a new question...

I thought there was a bus but I can't find any info on it..maybe Carol 138east may know

Otherwise, it looks like Amtrak is your only option, and I would come down a day ahead to allow for any service disruptions that often occur...

Hello Everyone...We live in Utica, NY, and I can tell you that YES, there is bus service to the pier in Bayonne, New Jersey (Cape Liberty) and, its wonderful.

My wife and I would never drive to this port because the traffic is nuts and too stressful. Nor, would we take the train because there is too much commotion to get to the port.

Go online to:

http://www.yankeetrails.com/

This company is Yankee Trails in Rensselaer, NY. It's just a few minutes from Albany. they are a very large travel agency and tour bus company. We use them all the time after finding out about them. They provide roundtrip transportation to the port and back for just $80 roundtrip per person, or $90 each with insurance added. It only takes about 3 1/2 hours to get to the pier. they drop you off right at the terminal, take your luggage and you just get off and check in. On the way back, you meet where they dropped you off, they load your luggage, and, you head back. The buses are very nice and comfortable, and, the ride is smooth for a bus. they have a link on their website for cruise transportation.

You cannot beat this deal or the service. If you live in New York State, do yourself a favor and check them out. You will save yourself a lot of time, money and, stress. If you have any other questions, just ask and I will try to answer as I check this site everyday.

Dave

I don't know how to post a new question.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

No prob...

When you're on the boards, near the top of the list of threads will be a button that says NEW POST or something..

Hit that, give it a title and you're all set!!!:cool::D

Sort of like what you did, but not exactly!!

Dave that is helpful info, unfortunately that company IS in fact a travel agency and the post will likely be removed and/or edited as we're not allowed to talk about specific agencies here so that's going to be a problem

BUT Nisky, perhaps you can look at buses in Rensselaer and you'll find the info

Dave that is helpful info, unfortunately that company IS in fact a travel agency and the post will likely be removed and/or edited as we're not allowed to talk about specific agencies here so that's going to be a problem

BUT Nisky, perhaps you can look at buses in Rensselaer and you'll find the info

Yankee Trails has been named as a bus service provider dozens of times on this board. I've never seen a post deleted. Just avoid mention of their travel agency services.

Edited by njhorseman

I used them for our January cruise out of the Manhattan port. I jusy checked and thei roundtrip rate isn't too bad at $90 round trip. Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yankee Trails has been named as a bus service provider dozens of times on this board. I've never seen a post deleted. Just avoid mention of their travel agency services.

the name is probably not the issue....the link may be....it is pretty obvious...

Sent from my Galaxy S3, somewhere in the galaxy