Back from Carnival; will stay loyal to RCCL

Just off the Carnival Sensation on the 28th of July. I have been on RC six times (3 on Mariner, 1 on Navigator, 1 on Freedom, and 1 on Oasis) and this past cruise was just my third with Carnival. I have to say that RC is a much better cruise line over all...hands down!! Even though we were on the Oasis last year and this year went to a much smaller ship, I was prepared for it. However, the shows, food selection, excursion choices, etc. are so much better on RC (especially the shows). I also found the staff to be much more friendlier on RC than Carnival.

I am not planning on sailing with Carninval again in the very near future; however we have already booked the Allure for June 2012! Can't wait!!

Just sayin'...

Just off the Carnival Sensation on the 28th of July. I have been on RC six times (3 on Mariner, 1 on Navigator, 1 on Freedom, and 1 on Oasis) and this past cruise was just my third with Carnival. I have to say that RC is a much better cruise line over all...hands down!! Even though we were on the Oasis last year and this year went to a much smaller ship, I was prepared for it. However, the shows, food selection, excursion choices, etc. are so much better on RC (especially the shows). I also found the staff to be much more friendlier on RC than Carnival.

I am not planning on sailing with Carninval again in the very near future; however we have already booked the Allure for June 2012! Can't wait!!

Just sayin'...

Welcome back to Royal. I hope you have a great cruise on the Allure.

Just sayin'...

I am truly looking forward to my TA on RCI....but I have to say that comparing any of the RC ships you mention to Carnival Sensation is like comparing the Queen Mary to the S.S. Minnow. Sensation is at least 10 years older than any of the ships you mention, and also unlike those, Sensation makes the 3/4 night runs to the Bahamas - you could fairly say she's been ridden hard and put away wet. To have the same expectations for Carnival Sensation as you would have for Oasis is just silly.

Carnival Legend is a fantastic ship, and RC will have to go some to show me a better time or feed me better food than I've had on Carnival Freedom.

Can't say for sure about Carnival "cutbacks"....which in any event should mean nothing to someone who hasn't previously cruised Carnival....but I've read at least as much complaining on these boards about RCI nickel-and-diming as I've read about cutbacks on the Carnival boards.

Summing up everything I've read, people who've cruised on both (and who are not cheerleaders) seem to think there are far more similarities than differences between Carnival and RCI.

I'll know for myself in about 459 days. :D

I am truly looking forward to my TA on RCI....but I have to say that comparing any of the RC ships you mention to Carnival Sensation is like comparing the Queen Mary to the S.S. Minnow. Sensation is at least 10 years older than any of the ships you mention, and also unlike those, Sensation makes the 3/4 night runs to the Bahamas - you could fairly say she's been ridden hard and put away wet. To have the same expectations for Carnival Sensation as you would have for Oasis is just silly.

Carnival Legend is a fantastic ship, and RC will have to go some to show me a better time or feed me better food than I've had on Carnival Freedom.

Can't say for sure about Carnival "cutbacks"....which in any event should mean nothing to someone who hasn't previously cruised Carnival....but I've read at least as much complaining on these boards about RCI nickel-and-diming as I've read about cutbacks on the Carnival boards.

Summing up everything I've read, people who've cruised on both (and who are not cheerleaders) seem to think there are far more similarities than differences between Carnival and RCI.

I'll know for myself in about 459 days. :D

I never understand the nickle and dime comments. First you don't have to pay for a single thing on RCI other than ordering room service after midnight. If you want free ice cream then head to the Windjammer or go and purchase a higher quality product at Ben and Jerry's. Want a free burger? Go to the Windjammer or pay for one at Johnny Rockets. Want a steak? Head to the main dining room. Want a better steak? Head to Chops. Having been on NCL and Cafrnival which are also mass market lines, RCI does not nickle and dime you any more than those two lines. They just give more options and that is different than forcing one to purchase something. One is not charged for the Flowrider, ice skating, rock wall, carousel, etc. RCI is the only cruise line out of those three that does not automatically charge gratuities to your on board account unless you select My Time Dining. RCI also treats past guests and suite passengers much better than Carnival. Two more reasons that we left Carnival after cruising with them for eleven years.

I agree that one should not compare the Sensation against some of RCI's newest ships but RCI clearly has the better ships. While RCI made the decision over a decade ago to push the envelope in ship building, Carnival took the back seat and continues to turn out the same ship design over and over with nothing new. There is no comparison in this area.

Its a pretty hard comparison to compare carnival's oldest class ship to some of the newest RCL ships.

If I was comparing Majesty to Sensation, I probably would pick Sensation in the lower categorys just because of the cabin size comparisons.

I never understand the nickle and dime comments. First you don't have to pay for a single thing on RCI other than ordering room service after midnight. If you want free ice cream then head to the Windjammer or go and purchase a higher quality product at Ben and Jerry's. Want a free burger? Go to the Windjammer or pay for one at Johnny Rockets. Want a steak? Head to the main dining room. Want a better steak? Head to Chops. Having been on NCL and Cafrnival which are also mass market lines, RCI does not nickle and dime you any more than those two lines. They just give more options and that is different than forcing one to purchase something. RCI is the only cruise line out of those three that does not automatically charge gratuities to your on board account unless you select My Time Dining.

Very well said!!! I never feel nickled and dimed on a cruise because I enjoy the included options and rarely buy anything with an upcharge. Our Sea Pass bill at the end of a 7 day cruise is usually less than $100 for 4 people, not including tips and excursions. We always have a wonderful time and never feel deprived because we choose to stick with the included items.

Regarding Carnival, we sailed on the Miracle and once was enough for us. Our issues was the less favorable space to passenger ratio, making the ship seem much more crowded. The hideous decor and awkward layout of the ship, particularly that the Lido Buffet is between the pool and the aft bank of elevations, so people would walk through the restaurant in wet swimsuits and other various states of undress while diners are trying to eat. (It's the same set-up on Princess ships, but the people do NOT walk through unless they are dry and properly covered up). As well, the kid's club was in an out-of-the-way location in the front of a deck of passenger cabins instead of up on the pool/sports deck, making it underutilized and resulting in kids running about the ship without being positively occupied. My kids thought Carnival's program for tweens and teens was very lame - they love RCI and Princess' programs.

Service was horrendous on our Carnival cruise. Our wait team had 6 tables and 48 diners (3-4 times more than on any RCI or Princess ship we've been on). Our steward was responsible for 27 cabins (double the RCI/Princess workload). No matter how hard they worked, they were spread way too thin to be able to provide attentive and personal service.

I prefer the better food and no nickel and diming but lets face it cruise ships have cut back due to the economy and costs of food and such I have no problem in paying for the extras if I want them. In fact next month we are going to dine in Chops two nights and another two nights in Portofino's all worth the extra money to us. Nothing is like it used to be and this includes cruises.

Very well said!!! I never feel nickled and dimed on a cruise because I enjoy the included options and rarely buy anything with an upcharge. Our Sea Pass bill at the end of a 7 day cruise is usually less than $100 for 4 people, not including tips and excursions. We always have a wonderful time and never feel deprived because we choose to stick with the included items.

Regarding Carnival, we sailed on the Miracle and once was enough for us. Our issues was the less favorable space to passenger ratio, making the ship seem much more crowded. The hideous decor and awkward layout of the ship, particularly that the Lido Buffet is between the pool and the aft bank of elevations, so people would walk through the restaurant in wet swimsuits and other various states of undress while diners are trying to eat. (It's the same set-up on Princess ships, but the people do NOT walk through unless they are dry and properly covered up). As well, the kid's club was in an out-of-the-way location in the front of a deck of passenger cabins instead of up on the pool/sports deck, making it underutilized and resulting in kids running about the ship without being positively occupied. My kids thought Carnival's program for tweens and teens was very lame - they love RCI and Princess' programs.

Service was horrendous on our Carnival cruise. Our wait team had 6 tables and 48 diners (3-4 times more than on any RCI or Princess ship we've been on). Our steward was responsible for 27 cabins (double the RCI/Princess workload). No matter how hard they worked, they were spread way too thin to be able to provide attentive and personal service.

Would you say that Royal is more like Princess then? Haven't sailed Princess but their ships look nice and they have some great itineraries.

I don't think that cruising on an older ship should be an excuse for poor service, poor food selection, or just about any other complaint that is validated on the older Carnival ships. Service standards should be the same across any company. It is corporate culture and expectations that dictates whether or not service is given with a smile, not the age of a ship. As far as food, menus are usually the same fleet wide. You don't need a new ship to offer the same food. Royal Caribbean has always been updating and retrofitting its ships so that they are up-to-date in entertainment, decor, food, activity, and stateroom offerings.

I do not agree. I have many, many cruises on both lines and I do not think they are similar at all. They are 2 entirely different companies with 2 entirely different focuses. RCI strives to put the best ships on the water with the most options, and is successful at it. CCL's success, on the other hand, is putting the same thing over and over again on the water with no real new innovations.

I don't think that cruising on an older ship should be an excuse for poor service, poor food selection, or just about any other complaint that is validated on the older Carnival ships. Service standards should be the same across any company.

I agree 100%. I'm sure anyone with any common sense can see the physical Sensation is not comparable to any of the new physical RCI ships, and I'm sure the OP knew that. However, that is no excuse for substandard service. Service should be an industry standard, not an exception on certain ships.

Getting ready for our 4th Carnival cruise and we like it just fine! The staff has always been great, food has been wonderful (and is some cases better than on RCI). The decor of Carnival ships is not elegant like on RCI but I don't really care about that.

We're Diamond on RCI so we are happy with their cruises but would not hesitate to cruise Carnival.

Kitkat, yes RC and Princess very similiar only there are more activities and its more active past 11pm on RC than Princess ships. Other than that food, service, entertainment very similiar.

I put Carnival on the bottom of my list and stay with the ones that continue to offer me decent food, service and entertainment, Carnivals buffets are full of all fast food!

Dixieva I not understand how you can say Carnivals food is better but we all eat differently I guess I will explain:

Carnivals buffet breakfast sausages, bacon so greasy and eggs runny

RC offers you that ham carving fresh and their other meats not sitting in grease like Carnivals

Carnivals pool deck party is only of limited mexican type food, tacos, chips, chopped beef and such...RC gives you that outdoor fresh bbq of steaks, chicken, pork, suckling pig, etc.

Carnival after 10pm only offers pizza, hot dogs, fries, hamburgers...RC shiops have Cafe Promenade that also offer you desserts, sandwiches, salads, cookies, in addition to their grill offering the same items as Carnival.

Carnival in the main dining room offers you nightly Flat Iron Steak a tough shoulder piece of meat...RC offers you either NY Strip or Sirloin a much better cut of beef!

Carnivals lunch buffet offers you sandwiches, wok (meat is all tough), fish n chips (to me its like chicken fingers only seafood), then they offer you the burgers, fries, hot dogs, chicken fingers, mac and cheese, only one vegetable, one potato offering, one type of meat dish and one seafood dish and a meat carving.... their salad bar has cut down to very small...the tomatoes are always very soggy, they do offer maybe a potato salad, but it is very limited.

RC offers you a variety of all types of hot dishes that includes chicken, turkey, lamb, pork, beef, ethinic cuisine and with many choices of vegetables and rice and potato dishes along with two different meat carvings...choice of 3-4 soups too....along with the "fast food type foods" as Carnival gives. They even have a cold salad bar that usually has greek salad and other nice cool salads with cheese platters. and blocks of cheese.

I have cruised many carnival ships in the past and have always found the service a hit or miss...nothing really excellent.., on RC service overall is excellent.

The shows on Carnival are cheap type shows and cheesy types..game show, that juggler, etc. RC offers you production type shows.

lyndamr,

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. We sailed on Carnival Dream in April and the food was far better than it was on our Freedom of the Seas cruise last year. Dream has a pasta bar that is absolutely wonderful as well as Indian food.

Also, when we were on Freedom last year, I didn't see any BBQ with steak, suckling pork etc. As you are going on Freedom before we do, will you please post what night this was and if they are still serving what you described? All I remember was some kind of fruit buffet.

I do agree that Cafe Promenade has good sandwiches but for day time sandwiches, I think Carnival's deli beats the cafe by a mile.

As far as shows, Dream has one of the best production shows I've ever seen. (Dancin' in the streets) I also think their comedy clubs are a lot of fun.

Royal Caribbean has the most beautiful ships and I think Carnival's overall decor is way over the top--especially Miracle, but if you haven't sailed on Royal in a few years, things have changed a lot from what they used to be. JMO.

Its ok Katiel we all like differnt types of food, I for one not eat fast food so those burgers, fries, hot dogs, pizza, chicken nuggets and such are just not for my family and myself. We also eat better cuts of beef, its like a roast, some like the rump, others the bottom then there is the top then I like the eye round lol we all different thats all. But I have found that carnival has cut back the most drastic when it comes to its food mainly in the buffets. RC has indian food I seen it the times I taken RC, as for the pasta bar its not for my family and I we not eat plain regular pasta unless its lasanga...I also feel they added pasta bar as an addition is nice but do you realize the cost of pasta, its cheap...just another item they added that really has no nutritional value and keeps their cost down. (my opinion)

If you go outside to the pool deck party that is where they have the grilled meats, we also took the Monarch (smallest of their ships) in December and had those very same meats. They usually do the pool deck party usually on western caribbean right about the time they sail out of Cozumel and forgot which night they do this on eastern but yes I will let you know when I get back. The suckling pig was always to die for lol

About the sandwiches again to me just another way of cutting costs but people seem to like them, but the meat if you actually take it off the bread is full of fat. I had a sandwich on the FAscination last year and well I didn't want the bread part so took the meat off well needless to say it was way too fatty...the turkey was fine but other meats were not. You may be correct that Carnival offers you more deli meats than RC but RC offers more hot type foods than Carnival does.

I feel the better shows are only shown on Carnivals newest largest ships not the older smaller ships, I can say this from experience as you can see all the carnival ships I have taken in the past. There have been other cruises I taken just didn't update my signature...

Comedy clubs in both are good to very good depending upon the comedian, what I do like about Carnival is that they have that rock n roll band playing to the wee hours and I love the viking crown lounge on RC ships.

As far as deco I think Carnival has its own taste (I not hate it its just different and colorful) where RC is more elegant, but Carnivals newest ships have toned down some. :)

As far as bedding I like them both not prefer one over the other but I do prefer the shower doors on RC newest ships such as the LOS and FOS have these shower doors.

Cocktails are less espensive on RC where Carnival is more expensive....Carnival has better pizza....RC offers you fresh water larger pools Carnival has smaller salt water pools they just two different cruise lines.

I will give a lenghtly detail of my cruise when I get back for all.

Would you say that Royal is more like Princess then? Haven't sailed Princess but their ships look nice and they have some great itineraries.

In our experience, the two cruiselines are very similar. There are some things we liked better on Princess, and other things we thought RCI did better, but it balanced out to an equavalent crusing experience. We prefer RCI because the things that they do better are the things that are important to us, but we love Princess too and wouldn't hesitate to sail on them again.

You can click on the links in my signature for both of my reviews of the Caribbean Princess for a more detailed comparison.

OP,

Knowing what you prefer is good. Congrats!

For many of us though, we enjoy 'em all, just different.

My Knit-picks:

1. RCI...no carry on wine allowed.

2. Carnival...gaudy decorating, and after a few Merlots it is no better.

3. Princess...BYO Wine is OK but no ice rink, rock wall.

IMHO:

1. RCI...best ships by far. Let me re-state that, BY FAR.

2. Carnival...Steakhouse; best aged prime steaks on any ocean, period.

3. Princess...Elegant, relaxing and our choice if it fits the schedule.

If it's a new port and a new excursion of interest, I book whichever

line can get me there. Haven't decided to hang with just one, just yet.

:cool::cool:

My favorite ship was the Miracle, Least favorite was the Triumph, This will be our first Royal cruise, and I have read hundreds of reviews, I suppose is all about preference. My daughter did back to back cruises for her honeymoon last year, Carnival Liberty, dodged hurricanes and bad experience, second cruise was a 3 day Disney, she said by far it was the best cruise she has been on. We are planning a 7 day on the new Fantasy Sept 2012. Just love cruising.

Getting ready for our 4th Carnival cruise and we like it just fine! The staff has always been great, food has been wonderful (and is some cases better than on RCI). The decor of Carnival ships is not elegant like on RCI but I don't really care about that.

We're Diamond on RCI so we are happy with their cruises but would not hesitate to cruise Carnival.

AGREE!

I sailed Carnival Spirit last May and I LOVED it. I thought the food was outstanding! (and I am a foodie) I really enjoyed the entertainment as well.

To each their own ...

Totally agree. My first 3 cruises were with Carnival as I hadn't spread my wings yet. Once we sailed on Royal, we all realized what we had all missed all those trips. We were flabbergasted.

We will not sail on Carnival again. (actually we had a 4th Carnival back in 07 as I ended up winning a cruise. We went with an open mind determined to have a great week but there were still things that went wrong (not normal things and yes we did speak up/complain) and we didn't get any resolution).

We are loyal to Royal and plan on Celebrity and perhaps Princess one day in the future.

Archived