Update Oases conceierge lounge 7/23

teajak

No ban on shorts after 5:00 in this lounge. Crowded with people coming back from port all in shorts and such.When I asked the concierge if the rules had changed he said no, then why all of the shorts even on formal night? Some people dressed nicely on formal nights at happy hour but the majority in shorts.His answer was it is too difficult to enforce and guests are on vacation.

Just another example of rules being different on each ship so we don't know what to expect.:eek::(

No ban on shorts after 5:00 in this lounge. Crowded with people coming back from port all in shorts and such.When I asked the concierge if the rules had changed he said no, then why all of the shorts even on formal night? Some people dressed nicely on formal nights at happy hour but the majority in shorts.His answer was it is too difficult to enforce and guests are on vacation.

Just another example of rules being different on each ship so we don't know what to expect.:eek::(

The concierges are in a tough position. On a recent trip the concierge tried to enforce the no shorts policy and there was a mild uprising.

Quick question...was the concierge Ricardo or Allan? Wondering if Ricardo has returned from vacation. Thanks.

Quick question...was the concierge Ricardo or Allan? Wondering if Ricardo has returned from vacation. Thanks.

As I recall, Ricardo was pretty laid back. I really can't see him enforcing the rules.

Having said that I also wonder what is so difficult in obeying the rules and not wearing shorts? What's the big deal? To me the CL, especially on Oasis, is a special place. Surely, we can take 5 minutes to change out of the shorts.

As I recall, Ricardo was pretty laid back. I really can't see him enforcing the rules.

Having said that I also wonder what is so difficult in obeying the rules and not wearing shorts? What's the big deal? To me the CL, especially on Oasis, is a special place. Surely, we can take 5 minutes to change out of the shorts.

My thoughts exactly.We asked if the suites were informed of the rules and he said a welcome letter was left for them about the lounge.It was Ricardo.

When we were on the Oasis there were kids in the CL at 5:00 and nothing was said! I think that there are so many high end suite people on the Oasis that they can dos they please so they will sail again.

It sounds like more people want to use the lounge dressed in shorts than those who want to dress formally. The concierge has merely accepted what most of his patrons want. The Concierge lounge is there for these people to be happy in. if they want to wear shorts, so be it.

It is sometimes sad but the wishes of the majority do normally win against the wishes of the minority, regardless of who is right.

C'est la vie!

i agree with you 100%. the sign on the door of most CL says "proper attire after 5 pm". that's a no brainer. because we choose to---my wife and i never wear shorts anywhere on the ship after 5 PM. again this is our personal choice....

My thoughts exactly.We asked if the suites were informed of the rules and he said a welcome letter was left for them about the lounge.It was Ricardo.

I agree Ricardo is laid back but I will say that when we had an issue Guest Services pretty much blew off he got it taken care of.

Thanks. I was wondering if he was back.

It sounds like more people want to use the lounge dressed in shorts than those who want to dress formally. The concierge has merely accepted what most of his patrons want. The Concierge lounge is there for these people to be happy in. if they want to wear shorts, so be it.

It is sometimes sad but the wishes of the majority do normally win against the wishes of the minority, regardless of who is right.

C'est la vie!

Why would you go to a room in shorts when it is posted on the entrance and you have received a letter in your cabin telling you about proper attire after 5. I will say that some people came in with children, they were allowed to get some food to take out then had to leave, but it was the wait staff that told them they could not stay not the concierge.

It sounds like more people want to use the lounge dressed in shorts than those who want to dress formally.

Nope, it is a minority that want to wear shorts after 5PM.

In addition, it isn't a choice between shorts or "formal" wear... somewhere between casual and smart casual would be more accurate.

Why would you go to a room in shorts when it is posted on the entrance and you have received a letter in your cabin telling you about proper attire after 5. I will say that some people came in with children, they were allowed to get some food to take out then had to leave, but it was the wait staff that told them they could not stay not the concierge.

i was taught to obey the rules or don't play the game. apparently "some of" this new generation lives by different rules.:eek:

When we were on the Oasis we had Reyno and Fernando in the Concierge lounge, and they turned away men wearing shorts after 5 PM. I don't understand when someone gets a letter telling you of proper attire, why they can't adhere to what it says.

People are allowed to wear just about anything in the MDR, so why should it be different for a lounge?
Because these are the rules set by by the cruise line for the concierge lounge for diamond,diamond plus and suite guests.This is not a topic about DR dress codes, we don't need another one of those.:eek:

Because these are the rules set by by the cruise line for the concierge lounge for diamond,diamond plus and suite guests.This is not a topic about DR dress codes, we don't need another one of those.:eek:

Minor correction - Diamonds are no longer allowed in the CL, but have either a Diamond Lounge or Nightly Diamond Event.

Gosh. Didn't know there was a dress code in concierge lounge. That must have passed me by.

By shorts do you mean sports shorts (athlete type) or longer knee length fabric (linen shorts)?

I would imagine that longer length linen shorts would be seen as acceptable by most Europeans on a cruise to a hot destination.

But then those ships have topless sunbathing as well! (not in the cl lounge!)

When we were on the Oasis there were kids in the CL at 5:00 and nothing was said! I think that there are so many high end suite people on the Oasis that they can dos they please so they will sail again.

When we were on Oasis, back in May, the shorts issue was discussed, but some guests decided that they wanted to wear shorts, anyway. At the end of the cruise, no tips for the concierge, and bad comments on the survey card!!!!!!!!:eek:

I know, that young kids were NOT allowed: a father was having a drink and some chicken wings, and he was told, by the concierge person, that his child was not allowed to be in there after 5 pm; the guy was very nice: he got up and left......

That its what's holding the concierge people back from enforcing the rules: not tips (well some people dont tip them, anyway:D) but what hurt them the most, are the comments at the end of the cruise. :(

Some guest think that they could do whatever they want, and they dont care about other guests: we will never go to the concierge or DR or restaurants dressed less then properly!!!!! :D

Gosh. Didn't know there was a dress code in concierge lounge. That must have passed me by.

By shorts do you mean sports shorts (athlete type) or longer knee length fabric (linen shorts)

Me either.

Have worn shorts in the CL. My husband and I always look neat and presentable. No one ever said a thing.

You are correct. I saw our concierge on the Adventure send someone back to their cabin to change one night. She caught them a few feet in from the door and explained that after 5:30 in the evening there was a no-shorts dress code in (her) CL.

Me either.

Have worn shorts in the CL. My husband and I always look neat and presentable. No one ever said a thing.

It's your choice, of course, but now you know that you can be asked to go change into something else if you want to use the CL in the evening.

Hit or miss, but it might happen.

And, yes, it is clearly stated in the letter you get in your cabin at the beginning of the cruise.

Gezzz..I know this isn't about the MDR. I was just saying since they don't enforce the dress code in the MDR then why do they enforce it for a lounge? It would seem to me they would care how people dress for dinner than sitting at a bar having a drink or snack.

We were on the Allure in June and shorts were allowed. Basically they have given up trying to make people dress accordingly. Too many complaints from suites guests and D+ back to RCI. I was told that they bascially look the other way now.

This really places the concierge in a no win situation. You have rules in place but no one at corporate backing them up. Face it, this is what mass market cruising has become.

We were on the Allure in June and shorts were allowed. Basically they have given up trying to make people dress accordingly. Too many complaints from suites guests and D+ back to RCI. I was told that they bascially look the other way now.

It was the same situation on the Adventure in March.

This really places the concierge in a no win situation. You have rules in place but no one at corporate backing them up. Face it, this is what mass market cruising has become.

I totally agree,it must be tough on the concierge when corporate won't back them up.I don't have any idea how many tip them.Because there was a different wait staff we tipped them at night and breakfast.We really liked the made to order breakfast each day, no fighting the crowds in the Windjammer.

This definitely seems to vary from ship to ship. This past April Carlos Ortiz on the Explorer had no problem telling two couples who were D+ and in Owner's Suites to go change when they came in the CL wearing shorts after five.

Archived