Upgrades on HAL?

HALrunner

We booked an interior cabin (Cat J) on the Niew Amsterdam 9 months before the sailing date. I checked the yes option for "open to upgrades" but now am having second thoughts. We are traveling with two toddler (all cruised together before), and I am nervous we could end up getting upgraded "too much". We are not comfortable with a verandah/balcony when cruising with toddlers. Any advice? Has anyone actually been upgraded that far?!? Thanks:)

The way I understand upgrades is that if you book a guarantee you basically loose control over your stateroom selection. I always choose a stateroom and mark no upgrade because the location of the stateroom is more important to me than the room itself. A room that may be considered a higher catagory by HAL could end up being less than desireable for me which appears to be similar to your situation. I've heard of people getting some pretty good upgrades, but I don't know if anyone could say for sure that you wouldn't end up with a verandah.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I would say the chances of them upgrading you for free from a inside to a balcony is so slim that you dont need to worry about it happening.

If they were regularly upgrading from insides to balconys for free, they would not be able to sell balconys for more money.

I assume you booked a specific J cabin on Main deck, because I don't see any other J cabins or, indeed, any other inside cabins for four. All cabins below suites will be smaller than those J cabins on Main Deck. I would remove that upgrade option. EM EM

Just so you know...I spent 32 days in an OV cabin on Oosterdam...Then I did an inside gty on Westerdam for a 14 day cruise, and got one of the K cabins on Main deck. MUCH more space than the OV. I liked it so well that I have booked the same K inside but on the Nieuw Amsterdam, 24 days in the Med. EM

I'm going to agree with Essiesmom. We have had a J-Main Deck on Noordam and our next cruise will be a K-Main Deck on NA. It is one of the biggest cabins on the ship below suite level and would book it for any cruise. A 'no upgrade' for sure.

Unless you get upgraded to a Suite, I would absolutely/positively in no uncertain terms STAY with the J inside. It is a MUCH larger room than any other category - other than a suite. I traveled in a G oceanview with 2 adults and one child and it was 'tight'. With the little ones, you will be SOOOOO much happier with the space on the J inside, there is enough room for them to bop around a bit without bumping onto anything. Contrary to what most cruisers, we actually DO spend some time in the cabin, especially since we have a toddler too and there are naps and well, just breaks. I would stay with the J for sure. Good luck!

Archived