Future Cruise Reservation On Board- Got beat by paying too much

This happened to us with our past cruise to Bermuda. Right after final payment, there were a lot of price drops. However, I was aware of their policy change when we had booked on board, but I wanted the reduced deposit and the OBC along with the cabin selection so I was fine with it.

I did continue to check for price reductions and found that a better cabin catagory had a huge price drop and was able to upgrade to that no problem.

I did book our upcoming cruise with them again. I will continue to look for price drops, but I do like not putting the full deposit down and I appreciate the obc no matter how much or little. Better keeping the money in my pocket than theirs. Who know, maybe I will be able to upgrade to a better cabin again. If not, I am very happy with our hump balcony cabin.

Well the OBC is the main goal here b/c you are fronting a small defined deposit rather than a larger one,but the larger one is due by the time the payments breakdwon anyway so eitehr way you are giving them the $ in advance for obc.That seems to be teh only real advantage here so give them $100 of YOUR money way in advance to get $100 OBC in future,and then you still ultimately pay your deposits as per the scheduled structure anyway

I think you are being a little dramatic here. Why waste all that time and energy? There is nothing you can do about it. :rolleyes:

I don`t believe its dramatic to tell those that are into cruising and want inside tips on everything else,how shady the Future Cruise stuff is ,all for a $100 OBC? Whats that,one session on a bingo machine and a labadoozie? lol

The vast majority of cruisers do not keep checking prices after they book. They book their cruise and just get on with their lives until it's time to cruise.

I would think its long a tradition to check if your cruise went down to lock in a better price.What does the `vast majority?` have to do with it?, I assume the `vast majority` of cruisers aren`t on cruise critic either. In a buyer`s market of poor ports, large inventory,and a desire to collect repeate clients,they should offer up better price adjustments.If i go to the store and buy a shirt for $89.00 last week and then its on sale this week for $49.00 I`m probably going back to the store to get a credit,its the same thing,except in this case, we haven`t stepped foot on the ship and they should be accomodating out of cust service. Again,I`m not slamming the product,we are still RCI fans, I just don`t like the idea that someone decides to go on a cruise today,and gets $600 less than my price and can be right next door! Believe me its not the cash I`ll take the adjustment out in labadoozies & lava flows..........

I think what you need to learn is there is some slow months for cruising in which most times the prices come down because ships aren't full, Those are the cruises you can afford to wait and book last minute.

On the months that are really busy though if you book early you will get the best price and best cabin selection, and those are the times it is best to book early because when there are fewer cabins left the price goes up.

After you have cruised for a awhile you will learn when those times are to better know when to book or wait it out.

Jimbo:)

Well said.

After reading most of the posts here, you have to understand a basic business model in action here. RCI is a business. They price their product. People purchase/reserve their cabins. Then, after final payment, some of the reservations go unpaid or cancelled, and now they are left with a certain number of cabins that either must get filled or will go unused and therefore generate NO income. So with the short timeframe now available, they discount the price in order to move the product. That doesn't mean you go back and re-price everyone who previously purchased your product! That makes NO business sense!

So if you buy a swimsuit for your summer cruise at the beginning of the summer (when the selection is at its peak), do you then go back to the store in the fall when they have a handfull left and they are marked down in price in order to move them and ask for a refund of the difference from your sale price? No, but that is what you are asking RCI to do for you.

You buy early, get the best selection, and the lowest regular price. We are all more then welcome to wait until the last minute, hope some cabins went unsold, hope again that they have one in the category and/or room configuration you need, and then hope that there are enough of them that the cruise line is discounting them to fill as many as possible.

I try to buy early because I need to have a specific selection of cabins. I have a larger family, limited vacation windows, and have to plan way, way in advance. I like the fact that I can use a future cruise cert and get a lower deposit and OBC. I think that's a heck of a nice gesture and I'm happy to take advantage of it.

I just don't get the whole "the-price-dropped-after-I-bought-my-cruise-and-now-they-owe-me" mentality.

Don't worry about what the cruisers across the hall paid. It's a cruise! Enjoy! (I'm probably gonna get flamed, huh...?)

I just don't get the whole "the-price-dropped-after-I-bought-my-cruise-and-now-they-owe-me" mentality.

It's not that it's "owed"", it's that the policy changed because it used to be common practice to rebate passengers when prices drop - and not just on RCCL but most of the major lines. RCCL couldn't keep up with the adjustments. It was a refund, then they gave OBC. But many times they couldn't get the adjustment correct for OBC and it wouldn't appear on the account (happened to me twice). I'm satisfied with the change and know that if I want the deep discount, I'll wait until the 30-60 day mark when they are trying to fill up the ship.

The only time I booked a future cruise on board was when it was a "Happy Hour" special. I noticed it online and went to the future cruise consultant on that Tuesday when it was available. She didn't even know about it but I printed out the pricing off the internet. I had not choice but to book it this way because the price was only valid on that day. They wouldn't even allow my request to have the booking transferred to my travel agent. I don't worry about the obc's because I am a shareholder and I prefer to request that obc which is usually more money since they are not combinable. I also had to pay for the full fare at the time I booked because it was past final payment due date. But I would never book a future cruise.

i have a question about final payment... how does final payment date determined? by months after your deposit on the cruise? or few months before your departure date?

because i paid my deposit on 08/03/12, my final payment is scheduled on 08/03/12, and i'll be sailing on 10/27/12

If your cruise is 5 nights or shorter, your final payment is due 60 days before sailing.

If your cruise is 6 nights or longer, your final payment is due 75 days before sailing.

If your cruise includes Christmas or New Year's Eve, your payment is due 90 days before sailing.

Your final payment date for a cruise that departs on 10/27/12 should be 8/13/12.

If you are using a travel agent, many of them give an earlier payment date just to be sure that the money gets to RC on time.

I don't see how booking on board is to blame. The same price drop would have occurred if you booked on your own on the RCI website or with a TA. We always book on board and it has never taken that much time out of our cruise to do so. Would you still have the same complaint if you had booked at home on your own? Telling your table mates on your cruise about this? I would not want to listen to a negative rant from my table mates while on a cruise. You are on vacation, it's about having fun and relaxing. If your not happy about the result. Chalk it up to lesson learned.

If your cruise is 5 nights or shorter, your final payment is due 60 days before sailing.

If your cruise is 6 nights or longer, your final payment is due 75 days before sailing.

If your cruise includes Christmas or New Year's Eve, your payment is due 90 days before sailing.

Your final payment date for a cruise that departs on 10/27/12 should be 8/13/12.

If you are using a travel agent, many of them give an earlier payment date just to be sure that the money gets to RC on time.

This is good info to know. :) Thanks :D

it,s called "Why Not Decide Later" and it works for me - took all of ten minutes from my vacation time.

This Tuesdays special includes Grand suites for $1999.00 per person

Just keep in mind that you can't use a 'Next Cruise Certificate" for a Tuesday sale.....Tuesday sales are for new bookings only and a NCC is considered an existing booking.

ah okay, thank you so much :D

That is what I was talking about earlier when I called it an 'unknown' future cruise.

Example...I am sailing on the Oasis next month. I know I will take another cruise on Royal but do not have a clue when & I choose not to book a particular cruise while onboard.

We usually book about 2 months before a cruise. Anyway, since I am not booking a particular cruise, I buy a 'next cruise certificate' for $100. It has no expiration date but does have a booking number.

When we finally decide on a cruise, I tell the TA that I have a Royal booking number & sign it over to them. The $100. I paid goes towards the down payment. I automatically get $100. on board credit. So because I had bought the certificate, I basically have doubled my money. I used the last one for this Oasis cruise.

While I am onboard the Oasis, I will front another $100. for another certificate for my next cruise.

I kinda look at it like getting my dinner wine for free with my on board credit :O)

I travel with DH, DD and DS if I purchased 4 Future Cruise Certificates would we receive $100 OBC each? That pays the tips plus a couple DODs.

I travel with DH, DD and DS if I purchased 4 Future Cruise Certificates would we receive $100 OBC each? That pays the tips plus a couple DODs.

NCC's are per cabin...not per person.....they can't be combined. You get the same OBC per cabin whether you have 1 person or 5 people booked in the cabin.

Maybe I missed it, but if your cruise is a short cruise, each cabin would only get $50, not $100.

Maybe I missed it, but if your cruise is a short cruise, each cabin would only get $50, not $100.

It's actually less than that.:(

OBC From Booking On Board

$25 for sailings of 3-5 nights

$100 for sailings of 6-9 nights

$150 for sailings of 10-14 nights

$200 for sailings of 15+ nights

Ok, so we are sailing Alure 9/11 and we want to book 4 cabins for next January... Would it be wise to wait until we are onboard to get the $100 per cabin? Could I transfer it to my TA or would I have to book with RCI? Thanks, biting my nails having to purchase four cabins and wanting to get best price!

It's actually less than that.:(

OBC From Booking On Board

$25 for sailings of 3-5 nights

$100 for sailings of 6-9 nights

$150 for sailings of 10-14 nights

$200 for sailings of 15+ nights

wow!!! I dont know I would bother for $25. Isnt stock credit $50 on short cruises?

thats terrible.

wow!!! I dont know I would bother for $25. Isnt stock credit $50 on short cruises?

thats terrible.

Yes it is.

Shareholder's OBC

$250 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 14 or more nights.

$200 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 10 to 13 nights.

$100 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 6 to 9 nights.

$50 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 5 nights or less.

What if your airfare drops after payment? They don't lower your price. Why should cruise lines? Book what you believe is a good deal, for you, and don't look back.

JMHO

Steve

I believe that Jetblue and Southwest still do honor price drops by giving you a credit towards another flight to use within a years time.

I believe that Jetblue and Southwest still do honor price drops by giving you a credit towards another flight to use within a years time.

Definitely true about Southwest. I do it all the time. The credit must be used within one year of when the flight was first booked. No change fees either.

That is what I was talking about earlier when I called it an 'unknown' future cruise.

Example...I am sailing on the Oasis next month. I know I will take another cruise on Royal but do not have a clue when & I choose not to book a particular cruise while onboard.

We usually book about 2 months before a cruise. Anyway, since I am not booking a particular cruise, I buy a 'next cruise certificate' for $100. It has no expiration date but does have a booking number.

When we finally decide on a cruise, I tell the TA that I have a Royal booking number & sign it over to them. The $100. I paid goes towards the down payment. I automatically get $100. on board credit. So because I had bought the certificate, I basically have doubled my money. I used the last one for this Oasis cruise.

While I am onboard the Oasis, I will front another $100. for another certificate for my next cruise.

I kinda look at it like getting my dinner wine for free with my on board credit :O)

Just wanted to clarify one little thing. The amount of OBC is based on the length of the cruise you book. I believe that 3-5 nights is $25, 6-9 is $100, 10-14 is $150, and 15+ is $200.

Archived