Time of Life Boat Drill

CrusinPaul

How does Silversea conduct its drills? We've cruised mostly on Holland America and have to report to our designated lifeboat location. Over the years, actually just recently, they stopped making us wear our life jackets and I don't recall them even taking a roll call this past March.

Aboard Silver Spirit they do it in the theater as a general rule. On our last four trips aboard Spirit we have not had to actually go to the lifeboats. Sometimes they do the briefing in the Bar rather than the theater. You have to carry your life jacket and put it on during the briefing.

Can anyone tell me what time the life boat drill is. I am sailing in November and I am arriving about 4 PM. and the Spriit sails at 11 PM? Thanks.

If the ship is not sailing until 11:00 PM then I assume the life boat drill would be the next day.

The cruise lines have 24 hours from the time the ship sails to conduct the drill.

Keith

Last September on the Spirit, we reported to the bar area around 4pm and had to just carry our life jackets. No roll call was taken and we did not go to lifeboats.

Side note::::: I was HIGHLY annoyed with a fairly large group on the boat, maybe 10-12 of them that obviously had sailed before. During the Drill they simply would not shut up, laughed, made jokes to the point of DH and I not hearing the instructions properly. Our 'stares' in their direction (and I'm a teacher, so I've go the 'stare' down) did not quiet them down. I was very surprised that this was allowed. One woman, who we dubbed Molly The Unsinkable, was the cliche "Loud Mouthed Broad" and talked over every instruction in a joking manner that was very irritating. We about died to learn that her cabin was right next to ours. We were delighted to learn that they left the ship early because her husband 'didn't like the movement' :)

To the OP...may I ask why you are interested in knowing the time?

Last September on the Spirit, we reported to the bar area around 4pm and had to just carry our life jackets. No roll call was taken and we did not go to lifeboats.

Side note::::: I was HIGHLY annoyed with a fairly large group on the boat, maybe 10-12 of them that obviously had sailed before. During the Drill they simply would not shut up, laughed, made jokes to the point of DH and I not hearing the instructions properly. Our 'stares' in their direction (and I'm a teacher, so I've go the 'stare' down) did not quiet them down. I was very surprised that this was allowed. One woman, who we dubbed Molly The Unsinkable, was the cliche "Loud Mouthed Broad" and talked over every instruction in a joking manner that was very irritating. We about died to learn that her cabin was right next to ours. We were delighted to learn that they left the ship early because her husband 'didn't like the movement' :)

To the OP...may I ask why you are interested in knowing the time?

Unfortunately some adults never grow up. Often it is the ones who do not pay attention who will panic if an evacuation was really required.

Of course I am a person who to this day listens to the instructions prior to a plane taking off. I have flown enough and read enough that I know that following the instructions including knowing precisely where the closest emergency exit is and being able to do this in total smoke or darkness may make the difference between life and death.

But people not following rules or not listening happens all the time from the classroom to most other aspects of life.

Keith

You got that right, Keith...some adults never have grown up/learn. I used to be surprised to have the parent/teacher interview with the parents of a student who was not behaving properly in my grade 2 class, and the parent would be late, rude, interupt etc. Gee, I wonder why their child is like that? I digres...

You are also very correct that those loud mouth/show offs were probably the ones that would need rescuing if need be. My husband is ex-military and one of 'those' people who alway seems to be able to get an emergency situation well under hand...about 20 SCUBA certifications etc. I looked at him as Molly the Unsinkable was kabutzing around in her loud obnoxious way and I said to him, "You realize that she's the one that you'll probably end up saving". LOL I think I was more offended with the groups attitude of, "look at us, we've sailed SS a million times before".

I am curious tho...why is it they do not take roll call? What is to stop someone from attending?

Anita

Can anyone tell me what time the life boat drill is. I am sailing in November and I am arriving about 4 PM. and the Spriit sails at 11 PM? Thanks.

Just curious,why would you want to know? You have to participate anyway !

Archived