New Balcony Partition Policy

I appreciate all the replies. I would agree it depends on the ship and Captain still and not what corporate is saying to customers. I have seen this question many times on CC and should have just notched it as another statement said during booking that isn't always true.

AND want each other to have access to the others rooms, what is the security issue?? We are adults. Can't we decide for ourselves if we want people in another room to have their balcony connect to ours and assume the 'risk' of them coming into our room?

Mom and I cruise together but can't sleep in the same room. (insomnia, snoring, and differences in temperature control for comfort) We can't always get staterooms in the location that we want that are connecting, so we book cabins next to each other. If the balconies open, we would be connected that way. However, RCI wouldn't open them because of safety/security issues on our last cruise!!!! Ridiculous! We want access to each others space! How is there a safety issue? The balconies are safer if they are smaller or divided? What about all the larger balconies in suites? Are suite guests taking their lives into their own hands? If so, why can't we?

If we could get a two bedroom suite where both bedrooms are equal (not one better than the other and both with balconies by the bed and separate temperature controls) then we would stay in a suite. With single supplements, we often spend more than we would in a suite. But no suite privileges! We are comfortable at night though, so you do what you have to do.

It is frustrating, however, to not be able to be together because of some arbitrary rule!

"Please ..... all it would take (like pretty much anything on a cruise ship) is the right tip slappd into the right hand to get that balcony divider cranked open.

It is NOT a security issue if you are travelling with the people in the cabin next door (and those passengers are there to verify it ) to have the balcony opened up.

Please .... a security issue? Try again. "

I didn't think of offering a tip. It's never been a problem before, and I always tipped after it was done. Just not used to using a tip as a bribe rather than a reward.

How much would it cost to get the dividers open, do you think? I need to try this next time.

TIA

Depends on the ship. That's only true on Oasis and Allure.

So you are telling me if my wife and I are out on the balcony for an extended period of time the AC turns off completely?

Or do you mean if the door isn't shut all the way? and the locking of it doesn't matter at all?

Jimbo:)

AND want each other to have access to the others rooms, what is the security issue?? We are adults. Can't we decide for ourselves if we want people in another room to have their balcony connect to ours and assume the 'risk' of them coming into our room?

Mom and I cruise together but can't sleep in the same room. (insomnia, snoring, and differences in temperature control for comfort) We can't always get staterooms in the location that we want that are connecting, so we book cabins next to each other. If the balconies open, we would be connected that way. However, RCI wouldn't open them because of safety/security issues on our last cruise!!!! Ridiculous! We want access to each others space! How is there a safety issue? The balconies are safer if they are smaller or divided? What about all the larger balconies in suites? Are suite guests taking their lives into their own hands? If so, why can't we?

If we could get a two bedroom suite where both bedrooms are equal (not one better than the other and both with balconies by the bed and separate temperature controls) then we would stay in a suite. With single supplements, we often spend more than we would in a suite. But no suite privileges! We are comfortable at night though, so you do what you have to do.

It is frustrating, however, to not be able to be together because of some arbitrary rule!

"Please ..... all it would take (like pretty much anything on a cruise ship) is the right tip slappd into the right hand to get that balcony divider cranked open.

It is NOT a security issue if you are travelling with the people in the cabin next door (and those passengers are there to verify it ) to have the balcony opened up.

Please .... a security issue? Try again. "

I didn't think of offering a tip. It's never been a problem before, and I always tipped after it was done. Just not used to using a tip as a bribe rather than a reward.

How much would it cost to get the dividers open, do you think? I need to try this next time.

TIA

If what is being said is correct and the rule comes from the captain, do you really think any amount of tip is going make a crew member disobey a direct order from the captain? Would be career limiting, I would think. It would be a shame if a passenger tried to pressure a crew member into disobeying an order.

There was a thread over at the Carnival board a few weeks ago about teens climbing over balconies and breaking into staterooms to steal booze from the mini bar. I'm wondering if this might be the security issue. After all if baconies are open, if someone did climb onto someone else's balcony that was open to the next cabin, they'd have access to two cabins instead of one.

Anyway the reason doesn't really matter if it comes from the captain as he is the master of the vessel. The only thing you can do is take it up with corporate.

There was a thread over at the Carnival board a few weeks ago about teens climbing over balconies and breaking into staterooms to steal booze from the mini bar. I'm wondering if this might be the security issue. After all if baconies are open, if someone did climb onto someone else's balcony that was open to the next cabin, they'd have access to two cabins instead of one.

Anyway the reason doesn't really matter if it comes from the captain as he is the master of the vessel. The only thing you can do is take it up with corporate.

I read this too and the boys did TRY to get into 2 rooms..they climbed over the partition to balcony 1 and got in because guest didn't lock their balcony door. THEN they climbed over onto the other balcony but they had their balcony door locked. Personally if this is the reason it's a poor excuse since these guys climbed onto 2 balconies with the partition closed..security is more with locking you balcony door than opening the partition IMO.

So you are telling me if my wife and I are out on the balcony for an extended period of time the AC turns off completely?

Or do you mean if the door isn't shut all the way? and the locking of it doesn't matter at all?

Jimbo:)

In our boardwalk cabin on Oasis, we discovered much to our dismay, that if one of us was out on the balcony while the other remained in the cabin, the AC would SHUT OFF!!!! I would need to lock DH out on the balcony in order to keep the room cool. Crazy. One evening our steward had the door closed incorrectly. The room was super hot and stuffy. The a/c did not run again until we reopened, shut and locked the balcony door. Took us a while to figure out what the problem was.

Additionally, don't use the master switch by the cabin door; it shuts off the a/c as well as the cabin lighting.

Fortunately, Allure's a/c does not seem to be affected by the balcony door. We had a Central Park balcony on our last cruise and could leave the door latched but unlocked with no ill effects. On Oasis it had to be locked. Kudos to RCI for recognizing that this "feature" of Oasis was not popular with their passengers.

If what is being said is correct and the rule comes from the captain, do you really think any amount of tip is going make a crew member disobey a direct order from the captain? Would be career limiting, I would think. It would be a shame if a passenger tried to pressure a crew member into disobeying an order

I fail to see why the captain would even concern themselves over such a minor issue as opening balcony dividers for people travelling together. Don't they have more important things to focus on ?

I find it hard to believe that RCI would allow something like this to vary from ship to ship and not have a firm company policy on it.

And if there is a company policy that it is permissible to open up the balcony dividers between two cabins - where the guests are all travelling together, then that is what should be observed and the captain should not be permitted to over rule it -- no matter this "master of the vessel" crap. RCI OWNS THE SHIP, the captain is their employee who's drivin it! Actually not even so much - the computers, the GPS and the other crewmembers who man the bridge are really driving it. These young pretty boy captains (many of whom are in their 30s even!) seem to be there more as PR figureheads for handshaking and for photos and mingling anyway.

Having a consistent policy across the fleet is what should prevail - not stroking some captain's ego.

I just spoke with a Royal Caribbean Representative inquiring about balcony partitions on Oasis and if they could be opened between adjoining balconies. I was told that as of August 3rd, 2011 all RCCL ships with balcony partitions that are able to be opened will now remain closed except for maintenance reasons. The reason given was due to security reasons after the partition is opened, guests would be able to enter other rooms besides their own via the balconies. Has anyone heard this? We have been on two different ships with adjoining balconies and it is one of the reasons we even get balcony rooms.

Comments?

This is a policy they had years ago, and it was also for fire hazard reasons. I got flamed so many times for posting it, I just gave up.

They really aren't nuts about the open area being enlarged out on the balconies: fire can spread, and bad guys, too!!

Hadn't heard that one. If you're sailing with the friends or family in the adjoining cabin, I wouldn't think their entering your cabin would be such a "security" issue. The cabin attendant leaving the cabin doors open while they clean is more of a security risk.

Just ask your attendant when you board. Or call RCI back, and see if you get a different answer.

The security risk that they are concerned about is that if the dividers do not get re-locked between cruises. And it is a very likely scenario that it could accidentally happen w/ staffing ratios being stretched.

Then again in the future one could see this become a "for fee service"

"If what is being said is correct and the rule comes from the captain, do you really think any amount of tip is going make a crew member disobey a direct order from the captain? Would be career limiting, I would think. It would be a shame if a passenger tried to pressure a crew member into disobeying an order."

As I'm reading this, I'm thinking this same thing.....I'm glad somebody brought it up. The housekeeping supervisors do inspections during the week. If the policy was.....don't open the dividers under any circumstances, I don't see where $10 or $20 is going to be enough to have that person risk their career.

The other thing came to mind....why would anybody want the divider open if the person in the next cabin is a stranger??? makes no sense.....

Security issue??? Horse-hocky !! If you leave your balcony door open and by some real odd chance somebody risked their life to crawl over the railing to get to your cabin, well then shame on you for leaving it unlocked.

How about this?? Have a form that is signed by the 2 cabins involved...you say that you want the divider open and shame on me if something happens because I asked to have that divider open...thoughts?

Add-on....I just read about the issue of maybe forgetting to lock it between cruises....that's a legimate concern. I got a pretty easy fix for that. In their work area, have a grease board with an area entitled: "unlocked cabin dividers"...then below you'd have like say "8240 and 8242" etc....then on turn around day, you'd check that board and it reminds ya which ones to lock back up

Actually not even so much - the computers, the GPS and the other crewmembers who man the bridge are really driving it. These young pretty boy captains (many of whom are in their 30s even!) seem to be there more as PR figureheads for handshaking and for photos and mingling anyway.

This is an insulting comment.

Do you honestly believe that "driving" the ship is the captain's responsibility on any vessel of size? Figure head? Keep thinking that if you have a "medical emergency" and need a decision made.

The ultimate decision is up to the Captain. He da boss.

A common post on here, but I think the Captain has much more to worry about and this is inconsequential to anything of his concern. I'm sure a few of you have been told his by your cabin stewart, but I have a hunch its what they say when they don't want to do it.

"If what is being said is correct and the rule comes from the captain, do you really think any amount of tip is going make a crew member disobey a direct order from the captain? Would be career limiting, I would think. It would be a shame if a passenger tried to pressure a crew member into disobeying an order."

As I'm reading this, I'm thinking this same thing.....I'm glad somebody brought it up. The housekeeping supervisors do inspections during the week. If the policy was.....don't open the dividers under any circumstances, I don't see where $10 or $20 is going to be enough to have that person risk their career.

The other thing came to mind....why would anybody want the divider open if the person in the next cabin is a stranger??? makes no sense.....

Security issue??? Horse-hocky !! If you leave your balcony door open and by some real odd chance somebody risked their life to crawl over the railing to get to your cabin, well then shame on you for leaving it unlocked.

How about this?? Have a form that is signed by the 2 cabins involved...you say that you want the divider open and shame on me if something happens because I asked to have that divider open...thoughts?

Add-on....I just read about the issue of maybe forgetting to lock it between cruises....that's a legimate concern. I got a pretty easy fix for that. In their work area, have a grease board with an area entitled: "unlocked cabin dividers"...then below you'd have like say "8240 and 8242" etc....then on turn around day, you'd check that board and it reminds ya which ones to lock back up

On any ship I've been on, all dividers, that are able to be opened, have been opened on turnaround day by the people who pressure wash the balconies.

My husband and I booked an aft-wrap on the Brilliance and were going to book our 2 daughters in the aft-balcony next to us. I asked the CSR if the partition could be opened and she said "NO, they do not open". So we booked them an inside down the hall. For the extra $500, if they could open the partition I would book the aft next to us for them, but not if they can't open it.

My husband and I booked an aft-wrap on the Brilliance and were going to book our 2 daughters in the aft-balcony next to us. I asked the CSR if the partition could be opened and she said "NO, they do not open". So we booked them an inside down the hall. For the extra $500, if they could open the partition I would book the aft next to us for them, but not if they can't open it.
Yes, some dividers, including those on Brilliance are not made to be removable.

This is an insulting comment.

Do you honestly believe that "driving" the ship is the captain's responsibility on any vessel of size? Figure head? Keep thinking that if you have a "medical emergency" and need a decision made.

I don't understand your comment, really. But in any case, decisions made about any thing serious are made by corporate offices in Miami. The captain IS a figurehead, IMO.

I fail to see why the captain would even concern themselves over such a minor issue as opening balcony dividers for people travelling together. Don't they have more important things to focus on ?

I find it hard to believe that RCI would allow something like this to vary from ship to ship and not have a firm company policy on it.

And if there is a company policy that it is permissible to open up the balcony dividers between two cabins - where the guests are all travelling together, then that is what should be observed and the captain should not be permitted to over rule it -- no matter this "master of the vessel" crap. RCI OWNS THE SHIP, the captain is their employee who's drivin it! Actually not even so much - the computers, the GPS and the other crewmembers who man the bridge are really driving it. These young pretty boy captains (many of whom are in their 30s even!) seem to be there more as PR figureheads for handshaking and for photos and mingling anyway.

Having a consistent policy across the fleet is what should prevail - not stroking some captain's ego.

Captains are called Masters of the vessel for a reason (what they says goes). And you're completely uninformed if you think many captains are in their thirties. I haven't checked IDs, but I think the youngest captain I've ever seen was in their forties.

Captains are called Masters of the vessel for a reason (what they says goes). And you're completely uninformed if you think many captains are in their thirties. I haven't checked IDs, but I think the youngest captain I've ever seen was in their forties.

Really? You might be surprised to see that this young guy is still under 40. Captain Zini -- He is the Captain on Liberty now ... and according to his interview, he became the Captain on Grandeur at age .. 34 ..

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/behindTheSmiles/profile.do?INTERVIEWID=4

More on Capt Zini proving his age

http://beyondships.com/LOS-Ziniinterview.html

Oh .. and read this clip from Wikipedia re: the Captain on Monarch -- the one who died on board the ship:

Captain's death

38 year old Captain Joern Rene Klausen was found dead in his stateroom aboard the Monarch of the Seas early the morning of January 30, 2006. The ship was returning to Los Angeles from a three-day cruise to Ensenada, Mexico.[11] According to reports, the death appeared to be of "natural causes".[

Completely uninformed ?

Really? You might be surprised to see that this young guy is still under 40. Captain Zini -- He is the Captain on Liberty now ... and according to his interview, he became the Captain on Grandeur at age .. 34 ..

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/behindTheSmiles/profile.do?INTERVIEWID=4

More on Capt Zini proving his age

http://beyondships.com/LOS-Ziniinterview.html

Oh .. and read this clip from Wikipedia re: the Captain on Monarch -- the one who died on board the ship:

Captain's death

38 year old Captain Joern Rene Klausen was found dead in his stateroom aboard the Monarch of the Seas early the morning of January 30, 2006. The ship was returning to Los Angeles from a three-day cruise to Ensenada, Mexico.[11] According to reports, the death appeared to be of "natural causes".[

Completely uninformed ?

If Captain Zini was 34 in 2002, then he would be over 40 now at 43, and he is currently Captain of the Worlds Largest Cruise Ship, Allure of the Seas.

That's one problem with the internet, things stay forever, so what may seem current is very often years old

Archived