Any updates on Christchurch?

We leave in November and were notified of our change in port about a month ago.

Yes, I had heard that, which is why I got to wondering what's happening with ours. I heard another line was also doing Akaroa. Perhaps I need to have more patience, and just wait and see:D

Jen

From a Press Release from the Port...

31 May 2011

CUSTOMER NOTICE

LYTTELTON PORT OF CHRISTCHURCH

2011 – 2012 CRUISE SEASON UPDATE

Lyttelton Port of Christchurch wishes to advise that it will be accepting cruise bookings for the 2011 – 2012 cruise season.

At present 64 cruise vessels are scheduled to call at Lyttelton over the 2011 – 2012 cruise season. This will be set to be Lyttelton Port’s busiest cruise season, despite some early cancellations as a result of the February earthquake.

The cruise season will begin with the arrival of the Sea Princess on Wednesday 12 October 2011 and will run through to the end of April 2012.

The growing popularity of New Zealand to the cruise market means that this is an important trade for the port to accommodate. The cruise market remains a large and growing presence in Canterbury tourism and we appreciate how difficult the current environment is for tourism operators.

Despite the substantial damage the port has sustained from the September and February earthquakes, the company will be working hard over the next four months on its urgent repair programme to ensure passengers receive a warm welcome and get the most out of their stay in Canterbury.

Lyttelton Port will continue to advance its plans for a new purpose built cruise berth over the next 12 months. This new facility is expected to be ready for the 2012 – 2013 season.

We would like to thank our cruise customers for their understanding and patience in what has been a challenging time over the last three months.

Kind regards

PETER DAVIE

Chief Executive

Hi David,

Thanks. I had seen that, and noticed it was dated 31st May, and couldn't remember if they had had more (other than the expected grumbles) since then. They certainly need the tourist dollars.

Glad to see you are getting back on track....bet you are looking forward to your Dec cruise!

Jen

Hi David,Thanks. I had seen that, and noticed it was dated 31st May, and couldn't remember if they had had more (other than the expected grumbles) since then. They certainly need the tourist dollars.Glad to see you are getting back on track....bet you are looking forward to your Dec cruise!Jen

Hi Jen, I noted the date , but also cheked , and there have been no updates since then. It did say that some cruise ships have cancelled. Guess they will go to Akaroa.

Re My cruise... had to cancel today . The cruise would OK, but its the flight back home that could be a bit dicey, so bit the bullet and cancelled before final payment is due.:mad:

Theres another year coming up, and lots of new ships to look forward to when I'm back up and running again:D

Smart move David. Besides with extra ships coming our way, who knows, could be a few deals coming too! So start researching for 12mths time, tis an order. All the best mate!

Jen

Who are you cruising with? Hope you don't mind me asking. We are with Princess.

The Volendam.

Holland America have updated our itinerary on their website, to show the ship calling at Akaroa, and have listed some different excursions.

Good to see Kiwi Kruizer is back. Your wisdom and manners were missed, David.

re Christchurch / Akaroa, we are booked on the Sun Princess, due in Lyttleton in early January. We have not received any news from Princess, yet

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/business/christchurch-business/5333654/Fate-of-cruise-berths-undecided

"Fate of cruise berths undecided Last updated 20:32 25/07/2011

Akaroa could be the winner and Lyttelton and Christchurch the losers if Lyttelton port cannot quickly repair vital wharf infrastructure to allow 40,000 tourists easy onshore access.

Port chief executive Peter Davie says it will take two or three weeks of further investigation of Cashin Quay 2, a wharf that normally takes cruise ships during the spring and summer berthing season, to see if earthquake repairs can be made in a timely manner to allow access.

Otherwise the cruise industry will use its own life boats to get the passengers to shore from the harbour, or divert the ships to Akaroa as an alternative, Davie says. "

Full story, by Alan Wood, at above site.

Regards, Ann

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon everyone

just passing through and thought I would comment rather than just lurk.

Our Dec/Jan Celebrity X cruise now stops at Akaroa instead of ChCh/Lyttleton.

sounds like Akaroa is going to be a bustling little town this summer.

Sea Princess sailing 30th October has updated to Akaroa on the cruise personalizer...

Also MargoK posted this link in another thread (Akaroa or Lyttleton? December 2011)

"Akaroa takes over cruise ship business." from stuff.co.nz

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/new...-ship-business

Thanks for posting this again on a different post - I get confused where I have posted what sometimes!!!:eek:

Hello all NZ and Aussie cruisers:

We were notified this week, that our ship Celebrity's CENTURY, out of Auckland Jan 20 2012 will be using AKAROA ...can anyone advise is what this may mean as first time visitors to the area? Any ideas or suggestions for tours? We were really hoping to be able to support Christchurch area....

We were notified this week, that our ship Celebrity's CENTURY, out of Auckland Jan 20 2012 will be using AKAROA ...can anyone advise is what this may mean as first time visitors to the area? Any ideas or suggestions for tours? We were really hoping to be able to support Christchurch area....

Akaroa is a destination in itself. A small beautiful 'french' town, with stunning scenery from the surrounding mountains and bays. It is approx 1 hrs drive from ChCh, and there will be tours for you. The trans alpine train I know is one tour, that normally goes from ChCh, but the ship will have a connection to this, as other ships do. A suggestion for private tour is the Akaroa Mail Run, but this only goes Mon to Fri. Have a look at http://www.akaroa.com and click on tours pic, as it is listed there. The information site also has an email http:// info@akaroa.com. They should be able to offer advice on all tours/things to do.

This port is a tender, and one that certainly has plenty to do/see without tours if you so wish. We have driven there from ChCh, just for the day. It is a popular weekend getaway for locals apparently. I love this place, so much charm and character. You will not be disappointed.

Jen

We have been to Akaroa before and its a lovely little township. Its an odd (nice "odd") little outpost of colonial France nestled in an area of interesting geography. We are calling in when we pass by on Celebrity Century about three weeks before you.

While I haven't spoken to my other half about what we might do that day I am tempted to lobby for a tour to see the rare Hector's Dolphins that live in the harbour. Last time we were there it was May and the average temperature that day was 4deg which was not particularly comfortable for us used to tropical temperatures.

http://www.blackcat.co.nz/swimming-with-dolphins.html

If I can't convince the rest of our troupe to check out the dolphins then I think I will hit the shops in Akaroa for a while.

http://www.akaroa.com/fpnew/fastpage/fpengine.php/templateid/372

Now I am sure I could do something to tidy up those links but I am meant to be working at the moment so won't linger :D

We have been to Akaroa before and its a lovely little township. Its an odd (nice "odd") little outpost of colonial France nestled in an area of interesting geography. We are calling in when we pass by on Celebrity Century about three weeks before you.

While I haven't spoken to my other half about what we might do that day I am tempted to lobby for a tour to see the rare Hector's Dolphins that live in the harbour. Last time we were there it was May and the average temperature that day was 4deg which was not particularly comfortable for us used to tropical temperatures.

http://www.blackcat.co.nz/swimming-with-dolphins.html

If I can't convince the rest of our troupe to check out the dolphins then I think I will hit the shops in Akaroa for a while.

http://www.akaroa.com/fpnew/fastpage/fpengine.php/templateid/372

Now I am sure I could do something to tidy up those links but I am meant to be working at the moment so won't linger :D

Jacinta - post on our Roll Call - you may get a few interested. I for one would love to but.... as it is a tender port it may be tricky for me as I will need to see if I can tender & take my collapsible power chair.

Jacinta - post on our Roll Call - you may get a few interested. I for one would love to but.... as it is a tender port it may be tricky for me as I will need to see if I can tender & take my collapsible power chair.

Lol Margaret.... I will work on Robert first. :D. I foresee an issue with the swimming part of the swimming with dolphins activity. You will think we are sooks but living in the tropics has softened us up in terms of our tolerance for cool water. :D

as it is a tender port it may be tricky for me as I will need to see if I can tender & take my collapsible power chair.

Hi Margo

We were on Sun Princess on the Northern Explorer Cruise back in 2009 and we had a number of tender ports. The Sun Princess (and crew) were able to look after disabled and wheelchair passengers very professionally.

There is a dedicated lift to take you to the embarkation deck and they look after you well in getting on and off the tender craft.

Go for it

cheers

Archived