Faux pas?

dpump

I've seen men turned away from the various dining venues if they did not have a jacket or blazer on formal night. They were directed to the Lido. Your husband should consider wearing a blazer on the plane so it would not need to be packed (that's what a lot of men do).

AMEN to that ! Dressing appropriately really takes no more room/weight than being casual. Just pack less shorts and t-shirts.

Those can be stuffed into the $ 20 laundry bag with no problem.

This world has become MUCH TOO casual. JMO.

To recap, a used, worn tux would be OK but a cashmere sweater would not....

Seriously - take a jacket/sportcoat. Funerals, weddings and cruise ships are the only times I wear mine but it does respect the tone of the formal night to at least wear a jacket and tie on those evenings. Like others have suggested, wear it on the plane if it will cause you to go over your weight limit for luggage or simply pay the luggage fee. If you're concerned about luggage weight, look at the shoes you're taking. Men can get by with two pairs and they will wear one of those on the plane. I'd suggest that women could get by with fewer shoes but I'm already going to be flamed for my opening statement.....

Seriously - take a jacket/sportcoat. Funerals, weddings and cruise ships are the only times I wear mine but it does respect the tone of the formal night to at least wear a jacket and tie on those evenings. Like others have suggested, wear it on the plane if it will cause you to go over your weight limit for luggage or simply pay the luggage fee. If you're concerned about luggage weight, look at the shoes you're taking. Men can get by with two pairs and they will wear one of those on the plane. I'd suggest that women could get by with fewer shoes but I'm already going to be flamed for my opening statement.....

Get out the asbestos suit, honey! Women NEED more shoes. :D

As for your opening statement, unless you throw out everything after one wearing, most of your wardrobe is likely to be "worn." Considering the number of times DH has worn his tux, it counts as "worn," although it's in excellent condition. A couple of men I know bought "worn" tuxes from a rental place and they look fine.

And for the cashmere question, does anyone think the maitre d' is going to say "Well, we'll bend the rules for you because the sweater is cashmere."?? They don't have time to go into details like that. I'm not even sure the maitre d' would know the difference. (DH couldn't tell a cashmere sweather from a fleece, which is why I manage the wardrobes.)

Given that you've stated that you've read many posts on this subject, what exactly were you looking to accomplish with your question? Were you really expecting some sort of unique answer that hasn't been posted previously by anyone? This thread of yours will provide the same range of answers that you've no doubt seen on every other thread about formal nights. IOW, some people will say yes and some people will say no and the thread will eventually devolve into the usual arguments.

Did you need to be sooo RUDE ?? Yes, the question has been asked and answered at least a thousand times but your response could have been less caustic.

I am surprised you posted this question because clearly you've already read posts about it and are pretty sure of the answer. I'm guessing you really are hoping for some validation, someone reliable who will say it's okay. But it's just not. A sweater on formal night is completely inappropriate and you run the risk of either being turned away or becoming fodder for forums like this one. Both are embarassing.

DH always balks about the jacket, but it doesn't really take up that much room and the rest of it is the same ... pants, a shirt, tie, no biggie.

From the HAL website:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

The choice to conform or not is up to you. Predicting how a Maitre d' on any HAL ship may react to your choice on any given night on any given itinerary is next to impossible.

Well, HAL could go a long way to clear up confusion and misunderstanding if they simply would put out a dress code, not just suggested dress and mention of what people usually wear. Based on what HAL publishes, it would seem that the dining room people really have no right to turn anyone away, be it a Smart Casual or Formal evening, unless they are clad in the forbidden apparel of tanks, shorts, swimsuits and t-shirts. That being said, we welcome Formal nights and adhere to what HAL says people usually wear.

Fred "Mister Rogers" was a very nice, polite and well-mannered man - if you are meaning your comment to be silly ---it wasn't.

10-7

Wasn't meant to be silly. Cashmere sweater is not formal. Don't know if he was a nice guy or not, never met him in person.

I suppose attire may depend on your cruise itinerary. I was on the 10-night partial Panama Canal cruise on Zuiderdam in April. I was surprised by the number of men wearing jackets/ties, suits, or tuxes. There were very few men not dressed appropriately.

One of our tablemates was an exception. He wore a striped, button-down shirt, no tie or jacket on the first formal night. He was definitely in the minority. We noticed a sign by the dining room door on the next formal night that "jacket and tie are requested in the dining room on formal nights." Our tablemates did not come to the remainder of the formal nights.

I was not sitting where I could see the doorway so I don't know if HAL was letting men into the dining room who were not wearing jackets and ties. I can't remember seeing any men without them, but I didn't examine everyone. We were at a table in the back corner of the dining room so it was difficult to see any tables other than the ones immediately surrounding us.

I've heard that Alaska cruises and shorter (7-night or less) Caribbean cruises tend to be less formal than other cruises. I haven't actually experienced those with HAL. I know on RC last year, our tablemate wore shorts to formal nights and nothing was said to him.

We just spent 14 days on Statendam AK Vancouver to Vancouver. When we were selected for meeting with Hotel Manager, Cruise Director, etc. I suggested that HAL should either relax stated dress code or show some indication of enforcement. Hotel manager didn't disagree and even made comment about possibly placing security at MDR entrance! While I am personally indifferent to whether folks are dressed properly, it was interesting that on a formal night in Pinnacle, I counted 10 groups entering. The ladies were always properly attired, but only 2 men had dark suits or tuxes. A couple with long sleeve shirts, most with sport coats, about half without ties. First time with HAL to AK, but on other itineraries, dress code compliance has generally been good, but those cruises were always long ones.

Ralph

I can't help imagining the OP telling her spouse that he needed formal wear and him not wanting to cooperate. So, knowing what response she'd get, she asked here.

Because no one who reads these boards would be unable to predict the outcome.

No one will hurt him for showing up in cashmere, but they probably won't feed him either; however, if the wife goes on and dines alone in her formal wear, she might meet someone nice - and well dressed!

My DH hates formal night attire but is willing to wear a jacket and slacks because that is the attire HAL expects and, yes, we have seen people turned away at the MDR for not wearing a jacket. However, we both find it amusing that we can dine in the finest on-land restaurants and he doesn't need a jacket.

Another option would be to cruise with the upscale cruise lines that understand formal nights are not necessary.

it was interesting that on a formal night in Pinnacle, I counted 10 groups entering. The ladies were always properly attired, but only 2 men had dark suits or tuxes. A couple with long sleeve shirts, most with sport coats, about half without ties.

Dark suits/tuxes are no longer required on formal nights, a jacket and tie will suffice. That makes about half of the men (the ones with ties and sport coats) compliant. Still not good.

I can't help imagining the OP telling her spouse that he needed formal wear and him not wanting to cooperate. So, knowing what response she'd get, she asked here.

Because no one who reads these boards would be unable to predict the outcome.

No one will hurt him for showing up in cashmere, but they probably won't feed him either; however, if the wife goes on and dines alone in her formal wear, she might meet someone nice - and well dressed!

I can well imagine some DH not wanting to dress up/co-operate on a Caribbean vacation-especially if said DH wears a suit and tie every day to work!

Fortunately, my DW would not only not ask me, but she would, and has suggested that we just go casual.

Did you need to be sooo RUDE ?? Yes, the question has been asked and answered at least a thousand times but your response could have been less caustic.

So, if I had merely used your words and stated that the question has been asked and answered at least a thousand times, that would have been less rude? :rolleyes:

To avoid packing, I've rented a tux. It's waiting in the closet in my stateroom when I board and I give it to my room steward after the last formal night. Neat, clean, affordable and NO hassle.

Do you recall how much it was? Also, how did you book it, through the My Account on Hal's website or calling the toll free number? I love the idea of not having to pack a tux.

My husband rented his tux in April. We used cruiselineformal dot com. There is a link on the HAL website in the dress code section. Hubby got the classic black tuxedo package for $85 but they have other options as well.

Hubby had a problem with the pants - I think they reversed waist & inseam sizes, but he was able to get a new pair of pants onboard. It's a good idea to try everything on to make sure that it fits. There is a limited selection onboard to make exchanges.

Bippie

I'm suprised that more women didn't throw gas on you for your comments about their shoes! :D Keep up that attitude and I'd recommend buying a new tux with fire extinguishers installed as standard equipment! :D

John

Do you recall how much it was? Also, how did you book it, through the My Account on Hal's website or calling the toll free number? I love the idea of not having to pack a tux.

The last time we had to fly to cruise (in 2005), DH rented a tux through cruiselineformals.com (I think they do all the ships) and he was so happy we did it. They provided everything and it was hanging in the closet when we arrived (shoes and all). For the 2 weeks it was quite reasonable thought I don't remember the amount. Came with 2 shirts.

It's a wonderful way to handle formal nights. He left the tux at home and got the valuable packing space.

You could always just pay for another piece of luggage. How much are we talking about, $50 round trip? If not, then just wear or carry the jacket on the plane.

An extra piece of luggage, on Continental Airlines, on an international flight, is $70. :eek: Each way. :eek::eek::eek:

And as for women and our shoes, my mother stuffs her carry-on with shoes. And she just got a new one with wheels :p

Too funny !!!! Can't be without our shoes !!!

I must be the oddest woman on earth, because I truly believe that if God wanted me to wear shoes, well... I would have been born with leather feet! :o

Barefoot is the best! :D

An extra piece of luggage, on Continental Airlines, on an international flight, is $70. :eek: Each way. :eek::eek::eek:

Actually it's now $100 each way for domestic US and Puerto Rico. $150 to South America. Europe, Asia, etc. are $200 each way.

Archived