Faux pas?

dpump

Almost afraid to ask this question after all the posts I've read concerning formal nights. Would my husband be out of place if, on formal nights he wore a cashmere sweater, nice shirt and tie with dockers? With weight restrictions we just don't want to bring a suit. Yes, we are aware that there is a buffet, but that's not my question.

Thanks

Almost afraid to ask this question after all the posts I've read concerning formal nights. Would my husband be out of place if, on formal nights he wore a cashmere sweater, nice shirt and tie with dockers? With weight restrictions we just don't want to bring a suit. Yes, we are aware that there is a buffet, but that's not my question.

Thanks

Hi dpump -

Personally I would not suggest a sweater for formal night- even if it's luxurious cashmere...But that's just MHO...

Happy Sails!!

I've seen men turned away from the various dining venues if they did not have a jacket or blazer on formal night. They were directed to the Lido. Your husband should consider wearing a blazer on the plane so it would not need to be packed (that's what a lot of men do).

I suppose attire may depend on your cruise itinerary. I was on the 10-night partial Panama Canal cruise on Zuiderdam in April. I was surprised by the number of men wearing jackets/ties, suits, or tuxes. There were very few men not dressed appropriately.

One of our tablemates was an exception. He wore a striped, button-down shirt, no tie or jacket on the first formal night. He was definitely in the minority. We noticed a sign by the dining room door on the next formal night that "jacket and tie are requested in the dining room on formal nights." Our tablemates did not come to the remainder of the formal nights.

I was not sitting where I could see the doorway so I don't know if HAL was letting men into the dining room who were not wearing jackets and ties. I can't remember seeing any men without them, but I didn't examine everyone. We were at a table in the back corner of the dining room so it was difficult to see any tables other than the ones immediately surrounding us.

I've heard that Alaska cruises and shorter (7-night or less) Caribbean cruises tend to be less formal than other cruises. I haven't actually experienced those with HAL. I know on RC last year, our tablemate wore shorts to formal nights and nothing was said to him.

My DSiL was allowed into the dining room of the Zuiderdam with a jacket but no tie ... which surprised me. Another maitre d' on another night have turned him away. I don't think dockers on formal night are appropriate.

From the HAL website:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

The choice to conform or not is up to you. Predicting how a Maitre d' on any HAL ship may react to your choice on any given night on any given itinerary is next to impossible.

How about a nice dark blue blazer with a shirt and tie and dark pants.

He could also wear the blazer to travel in to save on weight limits.

I really like this idea, maybe I will try wearing my TUX jacket on the plane, the pants, shirt, bow tie & cumberbun all would pack very easily without the jacket. The only thing on a tux that really takes up space is the jacket. Also, the plain black tux pants can be worn by themselves on a couple of causal nights with a colored shirt and no one would catch on. Tuxes are cheap if you buy them out of rental, they sell the ones off that are starting to show a little wear. Check with some local tux rental outfits and you will probably find someone with a tux that they want to get rid of in your size for the price of a cheap sportcoat. I have found they will even sell you the accesories & shirts out of rental for next to nothing, they are used clothes afterall but originally high quality.

I really like this idea, maybe I will try wearing my TUX jacket on the plane, the pants, shirt, bow tie & cumberbun all would pack very easily without the jacket. The only thing on a tux that really takes up space is the jacket. Also, the plain black tux pants can be worn by themselves on a couple of causal nights with a colored shirt and no one would catch on. Tuxes are cheap if you buy them out of rental, they sell the ones off that are starting to show a little wear. Check with some local tux rental outfits and you will probably find someone with a tux that they want to get rid of in your size for the price of a cheap sportcoat. I have found they will even sell you the accesories & shirts out of rental for next to nothing, they are used clothes afterall but originally high quality.

???

How about a nice dark blue blazer with a shirt and tie and dark pants.

He could also wear the blazer to travel in to save on weight limits.

My DSiL was allowed into the dining room of the Zuiderdam with a jacket but no tie ... which surprised me. Another maitre d' on another night have turned him away. I don't think dockers on formal night are appropriate.

My father, who never owned a tux, showed me a trick many years ago, you buy a cheap black bow tie (which are supposed to be coming back in style this year so should be easy to find) and you just wear plain black pants (any kind of fabric but summer weight cotton works great) and you wear a plain white shirt (even short sleave works) with a black sport coat or a white or even off white sport coat. Forget the cumberbun & suspenders and be comfortable and your black bowtie & white shirt will get you into any "white collar" event.

My father, who never owned a tux, showed me a trick many years ago, you buy a cheap black bow tie (which are supposed to be coming back in style this year so should be easy to find) and you just wear plain black pants (any kind of fabric but summer weight cotton works great) and you wear a plain white shirt (even short sleave works) with a black sport coat or a white or even off white sport coat. Forget the cumberbun & suspenders and be comfortable and your black bowtie & white shirt will get you into any "white collar" event.

Done that a few times myself

I agree with those who commented they have seen men without jackets and ties turned away from the dining room on formal night.

We all travel under the same luggage rules if we have to fly to the port.

Thanks

A cashmere sweater may feel quite nice, but it is no more "formal" than a cotton, wool or polyester sweater as formality is determined by the item, not it's retail value.

For evening attire, traditionally white tie was formal, black tie was informal and a blazer, casual. These days, I think a cruise line will settle for blazer on formal nights and just hopes you will turn up dressed on the remaining nights......

I do not wear a tux or a suit. I'll pack dark gray trousers, a white shirt, black jacket, and a tie. I can wear the dark gray trousers on some smart casual nights as well as formal nights so they do double duty. If needed the white shirt and trousers can be cleaned in between formal nights. This seems to keep me in "in compliance" and everyone happy while still saving room and weight in the luggage.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

You could always just pay for another piece of luggage. How much are we talking about, $50 round trip? If not, then just wear or carry the jacket on the plane.

My method is to bring a garment bag as my carryon luggage. Plenty of room for my suit.

igraf

Thanks

Would my husband be out of place if, on formal nights he wore a cashmere sweater, nice shirt and tie with dockers?

Yes, he would be out of place. The smart casual code does not extend to formal nights.

Thanks

To avoid packing, I've rented a tux. It's waiting in the closet in my stateroom when I board and I give it to my room steward after the last formal night. Neat, clean, affordable and NO hassle.

Given that you've stated that you've read many posts on this subject, what exactly were you looking to accomplish with your question? Were you really expecting some sort of unique answer that hasn't been posted previously by anyone? This thread of yours will provide the same range of answers that you've no doubt seen on every other thread about formal nights. IOW, some people will say yes and some people will say no and the thread will eventually devolve into the usual arguments.

I do not wear a tux or a suit. I'll pack dark gray trousers, a white shirt, black jacket, and a tie. I can wear the dark gray trousers on some smart casual nights as well as formal nights so they do double duty. If needed the white shirt and trousers can be cleaned in between formal nights. This seems to keep me in "in compliance" and everyone happy while still saving room and weight in the luggage.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

and I bet you look great :D

You will probably feel out of place in a sweater if they let you in. On our first Alaska cruise, we were seated with a family who came casual to formal night. He was dressed in a long sleave cowboy shirt and jeans. The rest of the family was dressed similarily. I had my tux on and my DW and DD were dressed to the 9's. I felt uncomfortable for them. After about two or three nights coming casual, they started dining in the Lido.

John

Archived