Price drops because of financial fears?

The economy isn't tanking...........

Whew ! Thanks ! I must be totally off my beam to have thought otherwise !!!!!!

Personally, Carnival IMHO stands in the very best position. Should be able to keep rates steady, if cruisers from higher-priced competition trade "down" due to budgetary concerns.

And cruising is one of the best value vacations available.

Don't think so. We usually go in October and book about 30 to 60 day's out . This year we can't seem to find any deals. Prices seem to be going up. I think the early saver fair is killing the deals. Were trying to get a 7 day outside for under $1000 total per room.

I see what your saying about 9-11.

I was just hoping the cruise lines would be motivated by a little financial fear and reduce pricing accordingly. I probably won't happen unless they begin to see a drop in bookings.

I am afraid they might actually raise prices... due to increased fuel costs, increase price of food, etc. My cruise is already paid for but that would definitely mean no price drops :(

Just think of the drop in oil prices as saving you from having to pony up fuel surcharges. And for Carnival stock holders, maybe an increase in quarterly dividends:).

The economy isn't tanking. It's just not growing, or growing very very slowly insome sectors.

Your joking right. In the last 2 years unemployment has gone from 6.3% to 9.2% the deficit has doubled in 2 years. small businesses have declined 18%. The economy is going down worse than it has it 50 years, the stock market had the 4rth worst day in history 2 days ago and is down big today. The only growing is the gov't and the deficit.:mad:

I don't think that you're going to see prices drop a lot. Hopefully people have enough common sense to not sit and listen to every word that we see on TV or read in the paper. Right now the media is doing more harm than good with all of this so called information that they are spreading around. While we are cautious, we are not cutting back on our plans. The worst thing that can happen is for people to quit spending money.

I was just hoping the cruise lines would be motivated by a little financial fear and reduce pricing accordingly.
Absolutely not. Pricing is driven by supply and demand, simple Econ 101. Prices will drop if a given sailing is not selling.

I am afraid they might actually raise prices... due to increased fuel costs, increase price of food, etc. My cruise is already paid for but that would definitely mean no price drops :(

increased fuel costs? Oil has dropped by $30 a barrell in the last month....

The most Iv ever paid for a 5 day cheapie cabin was $229 pp .. I just paid $279 for 5 days, X 2 for a solo cabin... and now I just saw the cheapest is $399, triumph, Nov 7th.

Hardly looks like prices are dropping to me to pay more than I have since 2006.

Inflation is low if you only go by the doctored government figures.

Go the the grocery store, gas station, pharmacy, building supply store, auto dealer, car repair shop, doctor, hospital, cruise line and on and on.

Then tell me there is no inflation.

I work in the hospitality industry (for a very large hotel company) and what we are seeing is that people are still taking vacations, and are even still willing to pay good money for them, as long as they believe they are getting a good value.

[quote name='firefly333']up year over year. One reason carnival cited for lower profits last qtr was the increased fuel prices.[/quote]

I just can't imagine they'd wait til NOW after oil has dropped to implement a surcharge or up the rates because of oil, I can't see that happening.

[quote name='elcuchio24']I just can't imagine they'd wait til NOW after oil has dropped to implement a surcharge or up the rates because of oil, I can't see that happening.[/quote]

?? Im not sure anyone else thought they would implement fuel surcharges here either.

Just saying the price of fuel is up year over year, which carnival cited as affecting the bottom line, so the recent drop should help carnival if the drop in oil lasts... just seems to have started.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Herbaltees']FYI: At $30 a share, and $200 OBC per sail, you would have to book 15 cruises to break even.

and the price of carnival stock is dropping fast, it was at $32 last Thursday.[/quote]

Not true as it is currently paying a 3.2x% dividend. They pay you to hold the stock while you wait for your next cruise! :D

Archived