0, 5, 10, 15, 18%

We are used to tipping 10% for bad service, 15% for good, and 18% for exceptional.

If we do a pre-cruise stay in Au, should we tip a little or a lot???

I know our accent will give us away as Americans, so what should we do. (short of faking bad accents?)

Welcome Arizona, This is the guide lines I use in Australia others may disagree, Exeptional service 10% (at restraunts or Bars) round up with Taxi Drivers. Ok service pay the price on the bill and bad service pay the price on the bill and ask to see the manager :D

We are used to tipping 10% for bad service, 15% for good, and 18% for exceptional.

I know our accent will give us away as Americans, so what should we do. (short of faking bad accents?)

Hi Cruise Arizona,

There are many threads on the subject of tipping in Aus.

Being Aussie, we do not really tip at all. I myself will only tip if it is an expensive restuarant and the food and service was exceptional. Apart from that I do not tip. I am sure other will chime in on this.

Chez

Welcome Arizona, This is the guide lines I use in Australia others may disagree, Exeptional service 10% (at restraunts or Bars) round up with Taxi Drivers. Ok service pay the price on the bill and bad service pay the price on the bill and ask to see the manager :D

No more than 10% - I agree and only for good service. You will find some casual restaurants where tipping is so unusual that your change will rarely be sensibly broken up to facilitate tipping - no small notes or dollar / 2 dollar coins. We do not have notes smaller than $5 so tipping in the gold dollar and 2 dollar coins is quite usual. You may also see a jar or other container near the till for Tips - due to the common practice in Australia of pooling tips. Tips are "expected" in some high end restaurants but you will not be embarassed if you do not do the expected. Cabbies rarely expect a tip unless special service is provided - there are official extras charged for call outs and bag handling. Back in the good old days cabbies would even round down the cab fare to help them making change!

Enjoy and do not stress over tipping. You will not be hassled for tips or pointedly reminded that you have not as I recall happening in other places.

Welcome Cruise Arizona the advice given here is entirely appropriate...we follow convention in your country and we would ask that you follow ours please. Our wait staff etc. are paid very well compared to US rates..only in the most expensive of restaurants etc. would a tip be usual. Of course if you have a special request and that is satisfied then it would be appropriate to tip.

Enjoy your visit.:)

Tipping not required for Australia or New Zealand. Some people throw spare change on the table or round up the bill. However, it is not a overly common practice.

I don't tip in Australia. If I go to a country where there is a tipping culture then I adapt. I would expect visitors to this country to adapt too.

I would agree with nothing for average service, ask to see the manager for poor service. 10% seems like a pretty huge tip to me, so that would require really exceptional service. Above average / good service, the change goes in the tip jar. If you're ever unsure, you are always safe not to tip. A lot of upper end restaurants now leave a line under the bill for a tip if you are paying by card - these annoy me and I always leave them blank. I'd rather leave a cash tip if it was really worth tipping.

You never need to tip a tour guide, hairdresser, taxi driver, maitre d' ... Basically only waitstaff in a nice restaurant, and even then it's optional.

Our service staff are all on at least minimum wage, which here probably means close to $20 an hour + sick leave etc. Compare that to minimum wage in the US which can be $2,13 in some states and you can see why the tips are less important.

Also, don't be shocked - our food costs a lot more than yours, largely because of the higher wages.

As far as I was aware tipping encourages good service where the hourly wage is not that good. Here in Oz, wages are usually from $15 per hour or more. I don't know what the average waiters hourly wage is now but last time I spoke to someone in Canada a couple of years ago it was around $7 or $8. Therefore good service encouraged good tips, and you benefited. Having travelled in Europe and North America I am embarrassed by the service provided at the average restaurant etc here in Oz (and I have lived in several states). So unless the service is unbelievably goods Australians overall have a high enough wage they don't require tipping to supplement their wages. At least that is my opinion and I can guarantee I will have at least one person rip into me as a scrooge, but hey, each to their own.

Spot on Thornbird. The extra cost in the product covers the service and I have never been treated well enough at an Ozzie restaurant that encouraged me to tip.

Hi Cruise Arizona,

There are many threads on the subject of tipping in Aus.

Being Aussie, we do not really tip at all. I myself will only tip if it is an expensive restuarant and the food and service was exceptional. Apart from that I do not tip. I am sure other will chime in on this.

Chez

I'm with CHez - you may see jars on bars and counters for small change tips - I have always found tipping optional in Aus. Way back when I worked in a restaurant tips weren't a big deal - nice if you got them but never expected.:eek:

As you know we do not have a tipping culture, and I have heard this question asked many times before.

The problem is ...IMHO....... your accent. If I traveled around Aus and stayed in a hotel and had my bags brought to me and ordered room service, i would not tip.(nor would it be expected) On the other hand, if you were to do exactly the same, the staff would probably hesitate or wait for a tip, based solely on your accent.

The reason for this I presume is that many tourists from North America tip anyway because that is what you are conditioned to do and so it has become almost expected.

I have had friends come over from the USA and they said they still felt very obliged to tip. So the answer to your question is.... Try the fake accent.

I really have been no help to you, i'm sorry.

I'd say that tipping depends where you go. Particularly in Sydney as we get more tourists it is fairly common, and especially in nice restaurants. Other places not so much as it's more traditional.

As for amounts though, it's usually more a case of rounding up to some 5 or 10 amount, even in restaurants, rather than using a percentage calculation. Around 10% is a fair amount if you've enjoyed your experience. If you haven't though, nothing is required.

As you know we do not have a tipping culture, and I have heard this question asked many times before.

The problem is ...IMHO....... your accent. If I traveled around Aus and stayed in a hotel and had my bags brought to me and ordered room service, i would not tip.(nor would it be expected) On the other hand, if you were to do exactly the same, the staff would probably hesitate or wait for a tip, based solely on your accent.

The reason for this I presume is that many tourists from North America tip anyway because that is what you are conditioned to do and so it has become almost expected.

I have had friends come over from the USA and they said they still felt very obliged to tip. So the answer to your question is.... Try the fake accent.

I really have been no help to you, i'm sorry.

Oh, too funny, I can just see me running around Australia with a horribly bad fake accent. I not only have an American accent, but I have the Texas version which is where I lived for a good part of my life.

I suppose we could carry around a small amount of change and if someone is especially courteous and helpful, we could tip a little, but for the most part, from the answers above we could forgo the tipping.

So not tipping for cabbies or porters either? I am used to tipping $1 a bag.

We are very excited to finally get to visit your beautiful country, so I really appreciate all the help.

This is very useful information - thanks for posting. As this will be our first time in Australia we have been trying to learn as much as we can in advance of our visit. It sure sounds like the tipping practices in Australia are different than what we read in the guidebooks we bought.

Too funny - DH had to come over to find out why I was laughing so hard.

Thanks again.

This is very useful information - thanks for posting. As this will be our first time in Australia we have been trying to learn as much as we can in advance of our visit. It sure sounds like the tipping practices in Australia are different than what we read in the guidebooks we bought.

Too funny - DH had to come over to find out why I was laughing so hard.

Thanks again.

I can just see us running into each other and saying "G'Day Mate, you know I'm not really Australian, I just use the fake accent so people don't know I'm American and expect me to tip."

Who knows I may actually start to pick up an accent after only a few days. On one of my cruises, we spent a lot of time with a British couple and I found myself starting to pick up a British Accent.

Maybe I'll rent a few Australian Movies before the trip so I can work on my accent, any recommendations for good ones?

Or just don't tip! My Aussie friends make sure I don't screw it up for everyone by threatening bodily harm if I tip when we go out to eat - It seems to work for me arms and legs intact and servers not chasing me out the door as has happened in the good ole USA.

Maybe I'll rent a few Australian Movies before the trip so I can work on my accent, any recommendations for good ones?

Lantana, The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Strictly Ballroom, The last Days of Chez Nous, or for really dark Heath Ledger- Candy.

Lighter fare would include The Man from Snowy River.

And of course there is always , Australia.

I can just see us running into each other and saying "G'Day Mate, you know I'm not really Australian, I just use the fake accent so people don't know I'm American and expect me to tip."

Who knows I may actually start to pick up an accent after only a few days. On one of my cruises, we spent a lot of time with a British couple and I found myself starting to pick up a British Accent.

The best Aussie film for the accent IMHO would be a film call 'The Castle' I do not know if it called the same or if it is available in the US. Other may agree or disagree with me but I just love The Castle.

Chez

Why would anyone tip in Australia? Not only are all people on at least "Union award" wages - but everyone who has a job has to do their job properly to keep it. If I don't tip a clerk at the Post Office when I buy a postage stamp, why would I tip a waiter in a high priced restaurant?? Each is only doing the job that they are paid to do.

The problem I have with tipping in the US is the inconsistency of it all. Do people in the US tip the staff in McDonalds when they get a burger ? If not - why not?? If people in the US tip taxi drivers - do they also tip bus drivers. If not - why not??

I heard if you don't tip the Porters at U.S. ports such as Fort Lauderdale or San Pedro (LA), your bags are unlikely to even get on the ship, but if they do, they are likely to be damaged.

And forget about the $1 bills for tipping over there, they want the 5's and 10's these days. Inflation you see.

You tip 10% for bad service, are you kidding? Why tip for bad service?

Les

Yes - we had baggage sent to the wrong place in the US - after I didn't tip porters at Denver airport.

This was many years ago - when I was inexperienced in travelling and had no idea about "tipping" in the US

Barry

Just thought I would add some movies that in my opinion may help..Yes as stated "the Castle" is a good one, also try "Kenny" another older one with a heap of Auzzie slang would be "The Odd Angry Shot" not a bad Vietnam war flick either. And my personal favorite the first "Mad Max"..Ohh and any of the Crocodile Dundee movies.

I heard if you don't tip the Porters at U.S. ports such as Fort Lauderdale or San Pedro (LA), your bags are unlikely to even get on the ship, but if they do, they are likely to be damaged.

And forget about the $1 bills for tipping over there, they want the 5's and 10's these days. Inflation you see.

I was guilty of not tipping at San Pedro port and our bags made it onto the ship fine and in perfect condition. I wasn't being a scrooge either, I just didn't have any small notes when we got to the port and there was no way I was gonna tip $50 to a porter. I didn't feel too guilty though because it was no different than the ones from P&O - we were right where the other porters drop the bags off to go on the ship anyway ;).

Definitely Kenny! I'm sure you'd also get a laugh - although I'm led to believe Americans can sometimes be a bit funny about "restroom" humour ;)

Is this true? :(

Archived