Harry's Bar -Venice - Bellini

eh2zed

A note to men, who may be thinking of going to Harry's Bar...

They have a strict dress code and won't allow men wearing shorts to enter.

It wasn't on my "must see" list, but our friends went last month when we were in Venice. The ladies were dressed in capris and somewhat dressy tops and no problem. One of the men in the group was wearing shorts. He waited outside, did some people watching and took great pictures!

Enjoy!

This is absolutely not true of Harry's Bar.

We were just there... AND if you are a customer, you may wear what you want. Both of my friends were in shorts (men) and so was I. We were helped with a smile and the bellinis were OH SO GOOD! Expensive but delish!

They do not, however, like people to come in and just take pictures. And who can blame them. The place is tiny.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with going into Harry's for bellinis. And nor am I a "sucker". They are really VERY good and no one makes them like Harry's. As I explained to my husband, if they didn't charge what they did people would be sitting there all day JUST drinking bellinis. Instead you have one or two and you move on. They price things just the way they want... and it appears they have been successful at what they do. It's really an unassuming place with a few good products. The waiters are awesome also. As most things are... you get what you pay for. NO ONE makes bellinis like Harry's.

This is absolutely not true of Harry's Bar.

We were just there... AND if you are a customer, you may wear what you want. Both of my friends were in shorts (men) and so was I. We were helped with a smile and the bellinis were OH SO GOOD! Expensive but delish!

They do not, however, like people to come in and just take pictures. And who can blame them. The place is tiny.

hylasgirl,

I assure you that was our friends experience when we were in Venice last month. I don't post comments that are untrue.

I sent the email below to Harry's Bar, to inquire about their dress code.

This email response is directly from Harry's Bar:

Dear

we ask clients not to wear shorts

Best regards

Giovanna

-----Messaggio originale-----

Da:

Inviato: martedì 16 agosto 2011 6.09

A: harrysbar@cipriani.com

Oggetto: Inquiry

Hello,

Please tell me what the dress code is for men.

Kind regards,

California, USA

Apparently your visit and experience at Harry's was different. Perhaps they bent the rules for you. You should explain your experience rather than make strong statements that are insulting to other CC members.

bobalink

NO ONE makes bellinis like Harry's.

Now how do you know that? Have you been everywhere? Now if you were to say no one charges as much for a Bellini I would believe that. That said I am glad you enjoyed your experience. It would just not be important to me.Imho it is just a big waste of money so you can say you have been there. That is my opinion but opinions obviously differ.

IF there's a next time in Venice try having a drink or some food outside at Cafe Florian in San Marco Square with the orchestras playing at sunset!!

EXPENSIVE(because you pay extra to SIT and hear the music) BUT an amazing experience!

Harry's has the name, but in terms of cafes/bars in Venice, Cafe Florian is really the place not to be missed. I guess Harry was a better marketer!

This is one of those "no right or wrong" issues. Either you value the experience or you don't. If it's the kind of thing that appeals to you, then no doubt the money is well spent and the memory is golden. If not, then no one can convince you it's worthwhile.

Personally, I find much of Venice to be a bit "precious" for me. I prefer big cities and if they are a bit rough around the edges, so much the better. I'd a thousand times rather be eating a good meal in a small family-run trattoria in Rome that no one's ever heard of than sitting in Harry's Bar in Venice. Come to think of it, there was that great Irish bar in Rome where I enjoyed myself a lot more (and I'd best leave it at that).

As they say, "your mileage may vary."

This is one of those "no right or wrong" issues. Either you value the experience or you don't. If it's the kind of thing that appeals to you, then no doubt the money is well spent and the memory is golden. If not, then no one can convince you it's worthwhile.

Personally, I find much of Venice to be a bit "precious" for me. I prefer big cities and if they are a bit rough around the edges, so much the better. I'd a thousand times rather be eating a good meal in a small family-run trattoria in Rome that no one's ever heard of than sitting in Harry's Bar in Venice. Come to think of it, there was that great Irish bar in Rome where I enjoyed myself a lot more (and I'd best leave it at that).

I feel exactly the same way. When I find a little treasure of a Rome restaurant I am very selfish and will never post the name on here. I don't want to ruin what makes it special to me.;)

I feel exactly the same way. When I find a little treasure of a Rome restaurant I am very selfish and will never post the name on here. I don't want to ruin what makes it special to me.;)

I don't think you need to worry about that here ... most day trippers don't have the time for a sit-down meal anyway. I wouldn't post about it on Trip Advisor, however, and pray that Rick Steves nevers finds out about it, because then it's all over!

I have been to Raffles in Singapore. Once I saw the silly price for the Sling, I just "walked on by" and found a great place by the river to people watch and chill.

When we go to Venice in October, we plan to do the same. Drop into Harry's and then go find a more interesting place for our memories.

Venice was the big disappointment of our Italian holiday last year; third time we've been there and now it looks like a theme park, full of those dreadful big billboards.

However each to their own. The world would be a boring place if we all had identical tastes.

We were told by a friend that we HAD to go to Harry's. The line was out the door, so we asked if we could just step inside and leave. People let us , so we told our friend we WENT there! We found a great affordable restaurant to eat with the locals and had an entire meal with great wine for the price of two drinks at Harrys.

Venice was the big disappointment of our Italian holiday last year; third time we've been there and now it looks like a theme park, full of those dreadful big billboards.

However each to their own. The world would be a boring place if we all had identical tastes.

So true. Although we have thought Venice was pretty much like an adult theme park for many decades. But, for those who want to escape the "theme park" atmosphere there are lots of options. For example, most tourists run to San Marco and the Rialto Bridge areas which are the two most popular theme park areas (with prices to match). But, there are many other parts of Venice that are more quiet and very charming. In some cases its just a matter of walking a few blocks off the well trodden routes. Probably our favorite way to escape the Venice hype is to simply take a vaporetto out to the island of Burano. Not only do you get a wonderful ride across the lagoon, but folks will discover that Burano is primarily a residential island with a few shopping streets, some nice restaurants and cafes, and very little of the "theme park" found in Venice.

Hank

Originally Posted by riffatsea viewpost.gif

IF there's a next time in Venice try having a drink or some food outside at Cafe Florian in San Marco Square with the orchestras playing at sunset!!

EXPENSIVE(because you pay extra to SIT and hear the music) BUT an amazing experience!

In 2008 on our way back to the ship we stopped,sat at a table and had 2 wines. With the above mentioned charges and an exchange rate of 1.60, it cost us $50.00:eek:.

We think that Harry's has become an overpriced tourist trap where they will gladly take lots of your money for a drink (or meal). If you want to spend lots of money then this is the place to go. You can then tell your friends you went to the famous Harry's (just ask at Harry's and they will tell you how famous they are) and smile proudly as you also tell your friends about all the money you dropped at this "famous" place. Just keep in mind that there are many restaurants around the world who are quite content to live on their reputation...which they try to enhance by charging outrageous prices.

Hank

+1

You got my vote.;)

Cheers

It really seems like a lot of people feel strongly about this. These are only oppinions about a bar. A lot of people sound like they had fun, I know I did, why would anyone not be happy that someone else was happy? I hope only the happy people are there when I arrive and that the others are somewhere less expensive, less crowded, drinking something other than the Harry's Bilini and especially not telling me I'm a "Sucker" for paying for what I like with a smile and actually feeling happy that I did.

Jeeze... and I thought we were having a good time. :confused:

Archived