Harry's Bar -Venice - Bellini

eh2zed

Anyone else do the Harry's Bar Bellini drink. It was good but really expensive. I guess that is because it was invented there. National Geographic has Harry's on their "must visit" list so we did.

We got a Singapore Sling in Singapore at Raffles Long Bar but not near as expensive.

Anyone else do the Harry's Bar Bellini drink. It was good but really expensive. I guess that is because it was invented there. National Geographic has Harry's on their "must visit" list so we did.

We got a Singapore Sling in Singapore at Raffles Long Bar but not near as expensive.

Been to Raffles too, not expensive. Waldorf Astoria NY--$18 for a Manhattan-expensive. Paris-14euro for a cocktail-expensive. So how much was the Bellini?

Rick

A note to men, who may be thinking of going to Harry's Bar...

They have a strict dress code and won't allow men wearing shorts to enter.

It wasn't on my "must see" list, but our friends went last month when we were in Venice. The ladies were dressed in capris and somewhat dressy tops and no problem. One of the men in the group was wearing shorts. He waited outside, did some people watching and took great pictures!

Enjoy!

Been to Raffles too, not expensive. Waldorf Astoria NY--$18 for a Manhattan-expensive. Paris-14euro for a cocktail-expensive. So how much was the Bellini?

Rick

Two alcoholic and one non alcoholic Bellini with auto gratuity and taxes was equivalent to 70USD. Just had to do it. Lots of olives though.:):D

A note to men, who may be thinking of going to Harry's Bar...

They have a strict dress code and won't allow men wearing shorts to enter.

It wasn't on my "must see" list, but our friends went last month when we were in Venice. The ladies were dressed in capris and somewhat dressy tops and no problem. One of the men in the group was wearing shorts. He waited outside, did some people watching and took great pictures!

Enjoy!

Can't remember if I had shorts or not but I also know you cannot take pictures inside. There is a sign. However, I asked the waiter if he would take a picture just of our table and he obliged.

It has to be done. It's Harry's, It's Hemmingway, it's the Chiprianis. If you have to ask how much you can't afford it, as they say. I love it, been many times with different friends and just pick up the tab for the lot and call it early Christmas. I've spent more on less and had a lot less fun doing it. I say, "Drinks on me!! And Merry Christmas to all... remember this moment around the holidays because this memory is your Prezzy this year!" Works like a charm and it beats the heck out of shopping.

Cheers!! ;)

It has to be done. It's Harry's, It's Hemmingway, it's the Chiprianis.

Yep, I just had to on my first trip to Venice. I thought the Belinis tasted pretty nasty personally, but at least I gave it a shot. Our then six-year-old had the most expensive hot chocolate on earth at Harry's, but she still remembers it ten years later. Just the memory of the look on her face when they poured out a cup and left the rest of the pot on the table ... a little kid in chocolate heaven.

IF there's a next time in Venice try having a drink or some food outside at Cafe Florian in San Marco Square with the orchestras playing at sunset!!

EXPENSIVE(because you pay extra to SIT and hear the music) BUT an amazing experience!

RMorningglory ~ love, love, love your attitude!!!!!!

2008 - Harry's - bellini - photo - and met the "ugly American" couple who had just returned from a cruise, docked in Venice, and complained that there were no buses to his hotel! They had never even heard of Harry's!!!

But it was worth everything for that experience - we still talk about it often with a good laugh!!!

DITTO.... one of the worse, it was even warm ..... not frozen as I like them... LOL

Well, an authentic Bellini is NOT frozen. It is supposed to be a combination of a special white peach puree, a touch of raspberry puree and prosceco. The prosceco is the last thing added.

I wonder if the peaches for the puree were out of season and not enough sugar added to the puree mixture.

Any decent barista in Italy (or the UK come to that) can make you a Bellini. It's traditional to drink it at Harry's, but I don't know that they're really any better there than other places.

Maybe not. But it is where it was first concocted that somehow makes it special in addition to Hemingway's influence, etc.

We think that Harry's has become an overpriced tourist trap where they will gladly take lots of your money for a drink (or meal). If you want to spend lots of money then this is the place to go. You can then tell your friends you went to the famous Harry's (just ask at Harry's and they will tell you how famous they are) and smile proudly as you also tell your friends about all the money you dropped at this "famous" place. Just keep in mind that there are many restaurants around the world who are quite content to live on their reputation...which they try to enhance by charging outrageous prices.

Hank

We have walked past it many times.

Frankly, I am not quite sure why people would travel thousands of miles to experience a different culture/land only to head straight for an overpriced clip joint that is trying to be similar to the bars at home. Great for the proprietors I guess.

Some things just have to be done despite the cost: Bellini at Harry's Bar, Singapore Sling at Raffles, top of the Great Wall of China, bridge climb in Sydney, top of the Eiffel Tower, a show in the West End of London... Everyone of those was chock full of (other) tourists but I would not have skipped it for anything! Happy travels to all.

---------------------

Helen

I would put Harry's Bar in Venice so far down on the list after the Great Wall, a show in the West End, being on top of the Eiffel tower, sitting outside the Sydney Opera house on a warm evening, or visiting the the bird and jade markets in Hong Kong, it would never, ever make it to the surface. It would remain just under vistiing the bar in Havana where Hemmingway drank...even though we have passed that one by several times.

Some things just have to be done despite the cost: Bellini at Harry's Bar, Singapore Sling at Raffles, top of the Great Wall of China, bridge climb in Sydney, top of the Eiffel Tower, a show in the West End of London... Everyone of those was chock full of (other) tourists but I would not have skipped it for anything! Happy travels to all.

---------------------

Helen

I agree.. 21 century travel is a mix of experiences, some places over visited and a few still unexplored...

As long as you're a traveler and not tourist there no such thing as a tourist trap

Srpilo

---------------------

Helen

I would agree with all the above except for a Bellini at Harry's. When P.T. Barnum said "there is a sucker born every moment" he must have been thinking about the patrons of Harry's :)

Hank

I would put Harry's Bar in Venice so far down on the list after the Great Wall, a show in the West End, being on top of the Eiffel tower, sitting outside the Sydney Opera house on a warm evening, or visiting the the bird and jade markets in Hong Kong, it would never, ever make it to the surface. It would remain just under vistiing the bar in Havana where Hemmingway drank...even though we have passed that one by several times.

I feel exactly the same way.I have been to Venice 3 times and have never had the slightest interest in Harry's Bar.I like to think I am not a fool.

Archived