Oceania Free Air

cruiseonly

Both US and Canadian cards are with the same company and come on one statement, yet require separate insurance. Something else to consider when calculating the value of holding a US card.

Interesting I did not know that

However I have 2 different bank credit cards (RBC & TD) so will pull out both agreements & have a read through

Or maybe hire a lawyer :D

Lyn

I would read what's covered VERY carefully when you are counting on trip cancellation or trip interruption (2 very different things) that is included with a credit card.

I just googled "Visa with trip cancellation insurance", and the card I looked at (RBC Visa Infinite)only covers up to $2500 in cancellation.

We always buy a separate policy for cancellation/interruption, after almost having to cancel our first cruise due to a health problem, and we wouldn't have been covered for 50% of the cost of the cruise.

Interesting I did not know that

However I have 2 different bank credit cards (RBC & TD) so will pull out both agreements & have a read through

Or maybe hire a lawyer :D

Lyn

Lyn is right, it would be easiest (and maybe cheapest in long run :p) just to hire a lawyer. :D

I have started to wade through our 52 page insurance agreement and already have a headache.

To make matters worse, some points have changed. When I pointed this out to the rep and asked to have him put it in writing, he said they cannot do this but all phone conversations are recorded and they have to honour what is said. :rolleyes:

I am going to try to see if I can email them with all my questions, so the answers will be in writing.

I just googled "Visa with trip cancellation insurance", and the card I looked at (RBC Visa Infinite)only covers up to $2500 in cancellation.

Ours is $2500 per person. Possibly yours is the same.

most( all?) O cruises cost more than that per person!

I'm certainly not an insurance know it all by ANY stretch of the imagination, but when I almost had to cancel, I sure learned a lot!

I also won't travel without trip interruption...having had a death in the family while we were away on a trip, requiring us to return. We were only in FL, so the cost wasn't horrific, but if in Europe, imagine the costs incurred to get home! And our parents are getting older, and accidents happen...

I don't even think about what coverage I may have on any of my 2 Canadian and/or 2 US credit cards, I just cover the trip on insuremytrip.ca now.

Just my 2 cents...

We always buy a separate policy for cancellation/interruption, after almost having to cancel our first cruise due to a health problem, and we wouldn't have been covered for 50% of the cost of the cruise.

I always buy extra as well

The CC one may cover some incidentals but for an O cruise we would need more coverage

Lyn

I always buy extra as well

The CC one may cover some incidentals but for an O cruise we would need more coverage

Lyn

I agree, Lyn. We also purchase additional insurance. At a cost of a little over $400 for a cruise costing $8,000, the peace of mind is worth the money, in our opinion.

We also purchase the insurance within 14 days of booking, so we're covered even if the cruise line should go bankrupt (who knows in today's crazy world?). If we change cruises, which we've done twice, the coverage is good for two years from purchase, so as long as the second cruise is within that time frame, you can transfer the policy. We even got a small credit the second time because the cruise we rebooked was less expensive than the first.

most( all?) I don't even think about what coverage I may have on any of my 2 Canadian and/or 2 US credit cards, I just cover the trip on insuremytrip.ca now.

Just my 2 cents...

Of course I am not talking about the minimal protection that you get when using a credit card, but additional travel insurance offered through the bank. Ours does include trip cancellation/interruption, lost baggage, etc.

It also protects us against bankruptcies.

The inexpensive policy gives us coverage 365 days a year, even if we are just enjoying a weekend out of town. Claims are easy and painless.

I am just saying that insurance is necessary, but it pays to check alternatives and to thoroughly check out the company you are dealing with. The more expensive policy is not always the best.

Make sure you understand what you have.

We have never had to purchase additional health coverage either. Our normal policy protects us when we are out of the country. When we made a substantial claim a couple of years ago, we sent it off electronically and within 2 or 3 days the money was in our bank account. I wonder how many Canadians have this same coverage but are unaware that they are already paying for it?

• 3 weeks later...

We just booked two weeks ago for Rome to Rio on Insignia, Nov 22, 2011.

We got Huntsville to Rome, with one stop (Charlotte) on US Air, and Rio to HSV with one stop (Atlanta) on Delta. Cost was $750 ("included fare") plus $199 HSV add-on, plus $100 for deviation (going two days early) A total of $1049 pp. (BTW, those were flights that Oceania picked. I just asked to go early.)

I went on-line and checked prices for one-way travel on the same flights. I got HSV-Rome @ $2296, and Rio-HSV @ $2255, for a total of $4551 pp.

I am quite adept at searching fares, and with a little bit of effort I was able to find a different routing which came in at a total of $3415 pp, making three stops in each direction. (Return flights included Copa Airlines via Panama and Nassau!) Yes, I am very pleased with the "free air."

Paul

We got Huntsville to Rome, with one stop (Charlotte) on US Air, and Rio to HSV with one stop (Atlanta) on Delta. Cost was $750 ("included fare") plus $199 HSV add-on, plus $100 for deviation (going two days early) A total of $1049 pp. (BTW, those were flights that Oceania picked. I just asked to go early.)

Paul

That is quite an upcharge for the flights

Did you request specific airlines?

I went on-line and checked prices for one-way travel on the same flights. I got HSV-Rome @ $2296, and Rio-HSV @ $2255, for a total of $4551 pp.

I am quite adept at searching fares, and with a little bit of effort I was able to find a different routing which came in at a total of $3415 pp, making three stops in each direction. (Return flights included Copa Airlines via Panama and Nassau!) Yes, I am very pleased with the "free air."

Paul

Think we need a further explanation for this Paul. Is the $750 (included fare) what Oceania would have given back to you had you done your own air?? Believe that is what you mean so you add on to the cruise fare would be the $199 for Huntsville and the $100 Deviation Fee?? In other words, no upcharge for the flights you are taking??

Think others are reading this to mean the $750 is an upcharge for the flights you chose. What you are doing, and it is the correct thing to do is compare your net cost for doing your own air vs. deviating?? In most cases, unless you are using Oceania's exhorbitant business upgrade, it is difficult to book your own air without FF miles at a cheaper rate than Oceania.

Think we need a further explanation for this Paul. Is the $750 (included fare) what Oceania would have given back to you had you done your own air?? Believe that is what you mean so you add on to the cruise fare would be the $199 for Huntsville and the $100 Deviation Fee?? In other words, no upcharge for the flights you are taking??

Think others are reading this to mean the $750 is an upcharge for the flights you chose. What you are doing, and it is the correct thing to do is compare your net cost for doing your own air vs. deviating?? In most cases, unless you are using Oceania's exhorbitant business upgrade, it is difficult to book your own air without FF miles at a cheaper rate than Oceania.

You are absolutely correct. Sorry that I didn't make it clearer originally.

May I ask which bank you are getting this kind of coverage through? Have you made a claim through this coverage?

As an FYI - I'm not aware of any cc that doesn't protect you against bankruptcies via chargeback and for most employers out of province coverage for medical is dirt cheap. Our coverage is a crazy $5M but the cost is a couple of bucks to which I have to conclude that most of our group don't travel out of province.;)

Of course I am not talking about the minimal protection that you get when using a credit card, but additional travel insurance offered through the bank. Ours does include trip cancellation/interruption, lost baggage, etc.

It also protects us against bankruptcies.

The inexpensive policy gives us coverage 365 days a year, even if we are just enjoying a weekend out of town. Claims are easy and painless.

I am just saying that insurance is necessary, but it pays to check alternatives and to thoroughly check out the company you are dealing with. The more expensive policy is not always the best.

Make sure you understand what you have.

We have never had to purchase additional health coverage either. Our normal policy protects us when we are out of the country. When we made a substantial claim a couple of years ago, we sent it off electronically and within 2 or 3 days the money was in our bank account. I wonder how many Canadians have this same coverage but are unaware that they are already paying for it?

You always need to compare your own situation before deciding to take O's air or arrange your own. We've never found any fares less expensive on our European cruises.

However, we're taking the 11/30 Panama Canal cruise from Miami to LA, and since we live mid-U.S. in an are served by Southwest Airlines, we waited for a sale and were able to save almost $600. The O air credit was $500 pp, plus we would have had to pay the $199 pp non-gateway city and we would have had to take the air deviation for $100 pp so we didn't have to worry about missing sailing if we had any air delays the day of departure.

So, it all depends on your situation. You've got to do your own research and make your own decisions.

May I ask which bank you are getting this kind of coverage through? Have you made a claim through this coverage?

BMO, $60 per year gives TRIP CANCELLATION, TRIP INTERRUPTION/TRIP DELAY

AND FLIGHT DELAY BENEFITS, plus baggage, etc.

We have made a couple of claims and they were easy and well handled.

When I was in the bank the other day, I mentioned to the service rep that I was disappointed I was not warned that my insurance would not cover the new $US card.

She was totally unaware. She thought it would cover any BMO cards. She promised to look into it and educate their staff.

Thanks for the info - prompted me to do a bit of digging with my own CC.

The one notable are the fairly low coverages - I check Amex for similar coverage to that of BMO - $5k per family member to a cap of $20k per family per year was $450 +/-. BMO is $2k per family member for $60. Interesting difference in the cost per thousand! :eek:

We have the BMO coverage and always bill our trips on separate cards in case there is a cap that we don't know about.

Have other out of country coverage on my husbands work policy that kicks in whenever we cross the border.

Other than that we self-insure, figuring all the premiums we have never paid will be ample to cover anything else.

My daughter has CIBC Visa that has great coverage for late/missing luggage. Almost every trip she takes she gets at least $500. Unfortunately on her 6 leg trip home to DRC last week, all her luggage made it with her!

Mo

Think I'll continue getting a separate policy for my cruise!

We have an annual TD policy that covers health, trip cancellation and trip interruption.

The year of our first cruise, 2007, I upped to their maximum coverage of $3000pp per trip.(we usually get $1000pp per trip, as that is all we need for our 3-4 trips to FL per year) Of course, the cruise cost more than $6000 for the 2 of us, but I figured:" we're young, we've never missed a trip, what could go wrong?"

KIDNEY STONES,and surgery that didn't go as planned, resulting in a week in hospital, 6 weeks off work. This happened 9 weeks before departure, and suddenly that uncovered $4000 became quite a concern, along with my health!

Having planned this trip for 18 months and travelling with friends, I just prayed everything would be okay, and found out 2.5 weeks before departure that I was okay to go.

I have looked into other insurance providers since then, but for our situation right now, the annual TD policy AND a separate policy for cruises is best.

We DO have health care coverage while outside Canada through our employers, but for the little extra it costs the 2 of us for medical, we get it. Often having that coverage means YOU don't have to pay up front for medical care, as we have NEVER had to on the 2-3 claims we have made.

My brother became ill while visiting us in FL last year, only had his employee

health care while outside Canada, had to put approx $14000 on his credit card. Took about 3 months to get it back.

Unfortunately, it often takes a real scare or actual event to make people take a good look at their coverage. Even with all my research, I wonder if we are okay!

It's a coin toss and whatever you are comfortable with, and if you have the resources to manage. So far we have never had to cancel and have had only minor ailments while travelling.

DH is very averse to insurance premiums, but I understand that for many people the peace of mind is worth it. We do insure cars, house and life a bit, but that has been scaled back as the retirement funds have grown, and the premiums have escalated with age. Even if we take a 20-30,000 hit we are still ahead by not paying the travel premiums all these years. We are far from wealthy and will not be cruising 5 times yearly in retirement. For us it works, your mileage may vary.

We take some meds with us which helps as when DD got attacked and bitten by the apes in Gibralter. And yes they were unprovoked and only backed off when DH caught up to us. Apparently something about male hormones floating around!

Mo

It's a coin toss and whatever you are comfortable with, and if you have the resources to manage. So far we have never had to cancel and have had only minor ailments while travelling.

DH is very averse to insurance premiums, but I understand that for many people the peace of mind is worth it. We do insure cars, house and life a bit, but that has been scaled back as the retirement funds have grown, and the premiums have escalated with age. Even if we take a 20-30,000 hit we are still ahead by not paying the travel premiums all these years. We are far from wealthy and will not be cruising 5 times yearly in retirement. For us it works, your mileage may vary.

Mo

Agreed, we never take additional insurance but do have a yearly medical travel policy for outside the USA. What we have saved in cruise insurance policies over the years will certainly pay for several long "suite" cruises or extendel land trips.:)

Well, you don't have to go up the mountain to the apes! There are other things to do in Gibraltar.

(On our first visit someone had that same problem, but usually visitors do NOT.)

Just be sensible ...

Mura

It does make you do a double take but then again it's more a function of your attitude towards insurance - I buy it to cover off catastrophic events not painful short-term hits ie. life, property, disability but not extended warranties on cars, electronics, etc. (or travel insurance so far ;)). If it was bundled into fees for a CC though it would be nice to have some cushion against a 100% loss.

Unfortunately, it often takes a real scare or actual event to make people take a good look at their coverage. Even with all my research, I wonder if we are okay!

We had taken the gondola up and were walking down the road. Near the bottom there were some apes sitting on the stone wall lining the road and one of them ran out and attacked her, jumping up and biting her on the arm.

I finally beat her off but she was not going to let us pass. My daughter and I were about 100 yards ahead of DH. He called out to us to wait for him and when he joined us she backed off and let us pass.

DD was menstruating at the time and I suspect that is what set her (the ape) off. It's sort of like when dogs won't leave you alone in that instance either.

Back at the resort the concierge didn't believe her until she showed him her arm. Apparently not a common occurance. Fortunately we had taken a broad spectrum antibiotic with us and that did the trick.

Note to self: Get some before we head out to Istanbul on Saturday.

Mo

Archived