Connections..

Ms. T

Anyone experience any trouble using 3G/Wifi while cruising? Were you hit with usage charges? I was told using 3G/Wifi while cruising should have no problem access the internet nor should I be hit with charges.

Not sure if this will help, but here's some info I swiped from a past thread:

These are the Internet packages for the Dream, which you'd need to access wifi. Other ships are cheaper, I believe, though you'd need to confirm that.

One-time setup fee of $3.95.

Plan 1 is 8 hours for $159 and you get 20 minutes free... price/minute... $.33

Plan 2 is 4 hours for $89 and you get 15 minutes free... price/minute... $.37

Plan 3 is 2 hours for $59 and you get 10 minutes free... price/minute... $.49

Plan 4 is 45 minutes for $29 and you get 5 minutes free... price/minutes... $.64

You can still elect to connect without a plan... price/minute... $.75

Anyone experience any trouble using 3G/Wifi while cruising? Were you hit with usage charges? I was told using 3G/Wifi while cruising should have no problem access the internet nor should I be hit with charges.

Actually I was speaking of access the internet/email etc via my own electronic device.

Actually I was speaking of access the internet/email etc via my own electronic device.

You need to call your 3G provider. Wireless will go through Carnival, and they require payment. Even if you have international data set up, you need to call and ask about on a cruise ship, to the point of giving them the name of the ship.

You need to call your 3G provider. Wireless will go through Carnival, and they require payment. Even if you have international data set up, you need to call and ask about on a cruise ship, to the point of giving them the name of the ship.

I was thinking about purchasing a Kindle w/3G wifi. Was told with this feature I would not incur any charges while at sea.

I don't have a Kindle, but I'm pretty sure you're not going to get free wifi, no matter what device you use. We'll be bringing our iPad and, after a bit of research here, know we'll need to pay for the access.

When you're on the ship and try to get online, I believe you'll be prompted to set up an onboard account. No way around that.

Maybe someone with a Kindle will know for sure...

I was thinking about purchasing a Kindle w/3G wifi. Was told with this feature I would not incur any charges while at sea.

I would honestly be amazed if you can connect.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FSUDM4 - scroll down to "Kindle at a Glance" with the big picture. Under "Global 3G Coverage", they have a link to their coverage map.

Maybe they meant charges from your provider.

You will be charged to use the satalitte from carnival for sure.

btw who told you?? some slick salesman who probably never cruised who just wants to make a sale. get it in writing.!!!

You were told incorrectly. You can of course use your Kindle without charge, but you cannot access either the 3G or the wifi network without charge.

Archived