Pre & Post Cruise Hotels - Istanbul & Barcelona

priddiscats

We loved our three-night pre-cruise stay in September 2008 at the Sirkeci Konak and also loved our three-night post-cruise stay in May 2010 at Hotel Jazz in Barcelona. The Sirkeci Konak provide the most-personalized service we ever have experienced from a hotel, as well as a lovely spa, including a Turkish bath, on the lower level. The Jazz was recommended to us on these boards. Just five minutes to Placa Catalunya, large rooms for Europe, wooden floors and even a small pool and bar on the top of the hotel.

The Sirkeci is a perennial top-rated hotel on sister website tripadvisor and the Jazz is in the top 10.

Both are well-located for first-time visitors to each city.

In Istanbul, we've stayed at the Intercontinental, which is very nice but far away from the city. We've also stayed at the Crown Plaza in town. It not too far from the Bazaar and Hagia Sofia but not a fancy hotel. They too have a shuttle to the airport and you can book it with the concierge.

How long are you staying in Barcelona? If it's overnight to catch a flight the next day, we stay at the Marriott. It's near the airport and they have a shuttle. If your'e staying in town, we've stayed at the AC Diplomatic. It's located off Las Ramblas and is a very modern, clean place.

I'm sure there are many more choices that you will hear from my fellow travelers, but the most important thing is to enjoy both cities, they are wonderful!

Last year we stayed at the Four Seasons on the Bosphorus which was an amazing hotel. It used to be a palace and everything about it was perfect. It was about a 15minute car ride to the city but we didn't mind that as we had just got off a port intensive cruise and we enjoyed being away from the crowds.

Within the past year, I've stayed at the Marmara Taksin Square in Istanbul and the Murmuri in Barcelona. I recommend both.

The Mamara is situated on an active square where we were able to enjoy nightly entertainment and great people watching. It is also at the top of the city's walking street with lots of shops and restaurants. Yet you could easily get to the old part of the city to see all of the sights.

Murmui is a boutique hotel located around the corner from some of the Gaudi buildings. In an upscale area, it was more relaxing and "local" than being near La Rambla.

Have fun!

Another vote for the Four Seasons on the Bosphorus. We had a private guide for the 3 of us and didn't have to worry about getting around anywhere. In Barcelona, I recommend the Hotel Claris not too far from Las Ramblas. It is quiet and elegant.

Another vote for El Palace in Barcelona. It's quite beautiful, just renovated, great service and extremely well located in Eixemple.

I also agree about the FS Bospherus but bear in mind that a few nights there could cost more than your cruise. If it's your first time in Istanbul and you're willing to go the FS route I'd prefer the one in Sultanahmet since it's right in the middle of all the sights.

Anybody know anything about Ayer Hotel Grand Via in Barcelona? That looks like where they put us for our pre-cruise night. We are cabin grade B4, and I understand the hotel assignments are ranked by cabin grade. Do they allow an upgrade for an additional fee?

Anybody know anything about Ayer Hotel Grand Via in Barcelona? That looks like where they put us for our pre-cruise night. We are cabin grade B4, and I understand the hotel assignments are ranked by cabin grade. Do they allow an upgrade for an additional fee?

The Ayer has rooms beginning at 80E/night. Even if you upgrade you'll beat the $500 that Oceania will refund for the night. Tahe the credit and book where you like.:)

The Ayer has rooms beginning at 80E/night. Even if you upgrade you'll beat the $500 that Oceania will refund for the night. Tahe the credit and book where you like.:)

$500? Really? I'll need to talk to my TA about that when things get a little closer. Thanks.

In Barcelona, the Hotel 1898 on Las Ramblas was excellent, with ultra-modern interiors and large bathtub with separate shower for under $300 per night...and a large indoor swimming pool. Restaurant was excellent and not overpriced, with a superb winelist.

Just remember to watch for pickpockets on Las Ramblas.

Being frugal I booked the White House in Istanbul. Great location - so much in walking distance. I found this hotel on trip advisor. It was quirky - no chair for the desk - view of the old guy in his apt. The room was clean and the plumbing worked. I don't like to spend a lot for a room that we use to clean up and sleep. I like location, things to be clean, and good service.

I am adding my 2 cents for those travellers who like to be close to the happening area and don't want to spend a lot for a simple hotel.

$500? Really? I'll need to talk to my TA about that when things get a little closer. Thanks.

Why wait? Haven't the posters convinced you that you are better off taking the credit and booking your own? You don't want to wait so close to the date that you can't get a reservation in the hotel you want!

I didn't see anyone touting the Continental hotels, so I will. They are 3 stars ... one right below Placa Catalunya, the other (somewhat nicer) above.

They aren't fancy but the locations are good. I actually prefer the location of the cheaper one but like the buffet better for the other one ... it has a bit more choices, but both are 24 hours. The cheaper hotel has lots of backpackers staying there (or did when we were there in November 2005) and the buffet is pretty much cold food. The higher end one has hot food most of the day.

http://www.hotelcontinental.com/web/

You remember, I did say NOT FANCY!

Mura

Archived