rafinmd is returning in stile from the Arctic

rafinmd

The ride to London was about 2 hours and very comfortable. I arrived at Kings Cross Station about 2:40 and went into the underground. The walks at each station seemed quite long. Once I arrived at the proper platform my first ride was only one stop to Euston, but then I found the Northern Line which would have taken me directly to Waterloo was closed and the signs said "use alternate routes" but there was no map of the network anywhere in sight. I had to wander the station looking for a system map and then returned to my original platform to continue 2 more stops to a new connection point where there were more long walks to the connecting train. Fortunately, when I finally arrived in Waterloo there was only a long escalator ride to the train station.

Roy

Roy, unfortunately arriving in London at the weekend you will often encounter engineering works on the tube and also the overhead railways. The walks, stairs and escalators are mostly long due to the depths that the tunnels have had to be set at because of the extensive network of other lines and utilities that need to be avoided. There used to be lifts at these stations so you can imagine the delays in rush hours during the week. I hope that you enjoy your crossing and that the weather does what you want it to do.

Roy - I am a QM2 addict and as usual I am counting the minutes to boarding. I fly to Soton first thing in the morning which means a very early rise - no problem there I doubt I will sleep tonight with excitement - I never did grow up!

Hi Norine, Have a great time on QM2, I'm also an addict. Lets us know all about your trip when you get back.

Catherine

Hi rafinmd, Have caught up with your adventure, wow what a journey. Looking forward to what you have to say about QM2. I have to wait until next year before we will be onboard again.

I love to read all the live posts from the capn, it makes you feel as though you are onboard.

Not to long now and you will be embarking, lucky you.

Catherine

I rose about 5:30 with Queen Mary 2 sitting 2/3 mile outside my window. Internet and breakfast at the Holiday Inn are both quite expensive so I made a visit to McDonalds with good results, and stopped in town to buy some soda. I enjoyed the view of some of the city walls and the Bargate which now stands in the center of Southampton.

I did some extensive repacking putting the light items in the small pack I wear on my chest and the heavy ones in the back pack with much more volume in the smaller pack. The weight was the same but the load carried much easier with that packing. I left the Hotel about 10:30 and was at the bag drop about 10:55. The walk to Ocean Terminal was about .85 miles compared to 1.5 for the QE2 terminal, and while the heavily laden walk was tiring it went surprisingly easy.

This is my first voyage at the Cunard World Club Platinum level. This carries 2 significant advantages, priority embarkation and 4 hours of free internet. While I have only 47 nights they also give credit for the number of cruises, 7 in my case. While I checked in immediately checkin for less "experienced" Cunarders did not begin until 11:45. I was one of the first to board as actual embarkation began just after 12.

Cunard does not normally open the main dining room on embarkation day. Since this crossing actually began 2 days ago in Hamburg, this was treated as a port call and the dining room was available. I had planned to drop my carryon in my room and go to the dining room for lunch but noticed that the Boardwalk Cafe was open. While the Boardwalk Cafe seems like a good idea it is in an exposed position and after 5 previous QM2 voyages had never seen it open, so I diverted there. It was a perfect afternoon. While the ScanDisplay listed the temperature as 12/53 it felt like at least 24/75 and sunny.

When I reached my room my luggage was outside my door and unpacking became the order of the afternoon. My room is small but actually configured for 4 with 2 upper berths recessed into the ceiling, and 4 life jackets taking up much of the cabinet space. There's still enough room for my stuff but it seems like with 4 people storage (and living space) would be quite challenging. While small, the room is quite comfortable. I have a fridge (cooler and larger than on the Prinsendam) and 5 electrical outlets (including 1 "hidden" by the TV and 2 with UK plugs).

The muster drill was held at 4. On Cunard it is held in common rooms on deck 7. Mine is in Kings Court and has comfortable waiting space. Some lucky people get to muster in the Grills while others are assigned to the fitness center which has very limited seating. The lifeboats are right outside the door and are close by if needed. I like the common area muster stations where they are practical. As the Commodore says in his speech, "The emergency signal is NOT the signal to abandon ship" and if an investigation of an emergency must done, I'd much rather have it in a sheltered area than out on deck perhaps in stormy, rough weather. We do take our life jackets to the orientation. It has some advantage in practice of putting them on but also a risk; I saw one passenger returning from the drill with a strap dangling 5 feet behind her.

Sailaway came quite promptly as scheduled. Commodore Rynd (Commodore is Cunards chief Captain) announced imminent departure and by the time I got on deck (4:40) the lines were gone and the stern was just edging away from the dock. Unfortunately, a late afternoon drizzle made the sailaway a little less festive.

I am at a table of 8 and this evening everybody showed up. Marty and Sara Jane are from Florida. Bob and Micky are from Hawaii. Lucille and Gene are from the Chicago, and Mike is the lone Brit from London. All of us have just embarked in Southampton. I have requested copies of the next night's menu and as usual Cunard has promised to supply them to me. Kira and Michael are our waiters. Things were a little slow tonight but that should be just disorganization typical of embarkation day and Kira and Michael were very apologetic. My room steward is Leh. The master is Commodore Rynd and the Entertainment Director is Paul O'Loughlin.

The Evening entertainment was a variety show with a few numbers by the Royal Cunard Singers and Dancers and a preview of the musical, dramatic, and enrichment activities planned for the coming week. Paul O'Loughlin announced that out clocks would be set back tonight but that wasn't listed in the Daily Programme, so I'll see in the morning.

As a parting shot, I face the evening with a mixture of anticipation and sadness. With some sadness I realize the adventure is drawing to a final week and I feel this great ship is for me a step down from the intimacy of the Prinsendam, but it is still a fabulous voyage.

Roy

This post comes to you live from the Queen Mary 2

Cap’n, I agree with the necessity of the engineering work but it would be really helpful if there were more system maps, preferably on each platform, to help in easily finding alternatives. Of course it would also help if I could force myself into a little more packing discipline.

Also as a note to Cunarders, I read responses to this thread offline via email so it will take me a day or so to respond,

When I rose this morning the ScanDisplay was still on London time. It was quite windy on deck and overcast as I began my walk about 5:15. About an hour later the clocks again showed 5:15, so apparently the time change did happen but was recorded a bit late. The sun "rose" at 5:15 but it never appeared through the heavy cloud cover. I completed my walk just before 6, and got to my room just as Paul's morning started. He interviewed tonight's comedian and Marine Biologist Dan Menelly, one of today's Cunard Insights enrichment speakers.

One change I have noticed from my last QM2 crossing (Nov 2010) that I do not find welcome is the signage in Kings Court. There are 4 separate venues and each maintains it's own serving hours. In the past there have been signs at the entrance announcing the specific opening ours each meal of each venue. These signs have been repurposed to advertise the $10 a la carte dinner offerings, leaving us to wander around Kings Court trying to locate the venue that's currently open.

There really wasn't a lot of interest today in the early morning activities (making it not the best day to be up an hour earlier than intended), so I took a little time to meet with Yoyo in future voyages. I am booked on a northern transatlantic cruise from Dover for September 5 and now will be getting to it in style (Cunarders I've checked my spelling and if it comes out wrong again I'm blaming the computer), arriving in Southampton the day before. I have an atrium view and will be happy with it or any upgrade that comes my way.

The Cunard Insights opened late morning with a presentation by Producer Steven Rivelino "The Business of Broadway (Part 1)-Follow the Money" discussing the commercial side of theater and the rising costs. His presentation seemed a bit biased but I'll give him another chance when he appears again. At the noon briefing Commodore Rynd noted that we had gone 311 miles and have 2715 remaining.

There were 3 showings of "Passport to the Universe" in the planetarium but tickets went quite quickly. I would like to have gone but am not a big fan of the planetarium so am glad to have others who love the presentations attend.

We had our Cruise Critic Meet and Greet in the Commodore Club at 2:30. The attendance was a bit disappointing but the quality was there. We had Katherine (on the ship since early July), Charles, and John and Elizabeth (thaxted). I had planned to slip quickly into the Queens Room for tea between the Meet and Greet and the 3:30 Insights lecture by Dan Menelly, but we talked until about 3:25.

Marine Biologist Menelly's lecture was "The Monster Show, Creatures of the Thermal Vents. He talked about creatures who inhabit the sea below the limit of sunlight including giant squid and sea cucumbers. Because humans have not been able to explore that area until recently our we have had more myth than knowledge about these strange creatures but their adaptation to their hostile environment is quite interesting.

The first of four formal nights began with the Commodore's cocktail party at 5:15 in the Queens Room, followed by a wonderful dinner.

There was an excellent comedy show by Adrian Walsh featuring "stand up observations on life", along with the Black and White Ball in the Queens Room. While I am the ultimate party pooper I did wander through the various venues after the show. We had Derek Conlon at the piano in the Golden Lion Pub, The Mark Hodgson Trio doing jazz just upstairs in the Chart Room. In the rear we had DJ Darren playing 60's music in G32 immediately behind the Queens Room. In the meantime RADA (Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts) was reading bedtime stories in the Grand Lobby. From there I got a snack in Kings Court and passed through the Commodore Club where Simon Galfe was playing easy listening music on the way up to my room.

Today's parting shot comes from Paul O;Loughlin's morning show. He noted the football (soccer in the US) season is beginning and named several quotes from football players including "If you don't believe you can win there's no point in getting out of bed at the end of the day".

Roy

Good Morning, Roy! I had to laugh when I read your comment about "packing discipline". If I have read your posts correctly, you travel with two backpack type bags - one that you wear on your back and one that you wear on your chest. You obviously are able to pack for many weeks and attend all formal nights on a Cunard transatlantic voyage. I think you could give all of us a few lessons in packing! I love reading your posts and your parting shot.

Thank you Beth, capnpugwash, Rita, Clarence, and oahucruiser. Capn, thaxted sends you his best.

One quick technical note. Cunard appears to be having some difficulty with the printer that produces the Daily Programme. My ScanSnap is unfortunately accurately reflecting some faint spots on the original document.

Sunrise was posted as 5:08. I made it on deck about 5:15 with a heavy cloud cover and a thin band of red on the eastern horizon. About 3 laps into my walk there were some visible rays peaking through a thin layer of clouds, the first direct evidence of the sun since my glorious lunch in Southampton. At the morning show Paul O'Loughlin interviewed one of the lead singers, pianist Jakob Fichert, and astronaut Jeffrey Hoffman.

There was a full day of activities of interest to me today. Astronomer Tom Boles opened the program with "Introduction to the Universe" While Boles spoke with what appeared to be a thick Irish Brogue and was a bit difficult for me to understand, he had a wonderful view of the universe from the sun to the planets to the stars and entire universe accompanied by stunning pictures. At times he presented pictures in pairs, one by the Hubble or other sophisticated telescope and a very similar one from a backyard photographer. Boles explained that while the results could be spectacular either way, the difference is that the backyard shot represents ideal conditions that may occur every 5 years or so but the nice telescopes produce consistently great results.

After a short break came our second speaker, Jeffrey Hoffman, also trained as an Astronomer but spoke as an Astronaut. He joined NASA at the beginning of the Space Shuttle program just as they were expanding their team from purely pilots to a crew of up to 7 with scientists and others as part of the team. A veteran of 5 shuttle flights, Hoffman's initial talk was about the space program generally, covering the training of astronauts and what the experience of going into space and returning was really like.

At his noon briefing the Commodore told us conditions appeared to be deteriorating and we should expect to spend a lot of time indoors Thursday. The current temperature is 14/58 but feels cooler with the wind. We have gone 860 miles with 2220 left. I looked at my GPS at 11 and noted I am currently 2048 miles from my furthest port of NyAlesund and 2700 miles from home. In some ways I wish I were back on the Wind Surf cruising at a leisurely 10 knots, not to be back for several more days.

I did get tickets to the 1:30 planetarium show, Cosmic Collisions, showing how collisions of various celestial bodies have changed the universe both for the good and the bad. It was an interesting show but to me it just isn't a real planetarium.

Jakob Fichert gave a violin concert in the Royal Court Theater at 2:15, on the theme "A Musical Journey From the Old World to the New". His journey included a side trip to Norway in honor of the recent voyage there (QM2's, not mine of course, but I could still picture Grieg looking down from Mt. Floyen). He had selections from Schubert, Mendelssohn, Grieg, and Gershwin.

The day's final Cunard Insights presentation was Steven Rivellino with "The Business of Broadway (Part 2)" discussing trends in Broadway's attempts to cope with risk, including revivals, adaptations between Broadway, motion picture, television, and pop music, and the attempt to draw publicity from celebrities rather than people necessarily suited to the roles. Along the same lines he suggested Angela Lansbury's box office appeal recently came more from her TV notoriety than her years of honing her theatrical skills and her many Tony and other awards. I left the talk a bit early to catch the last few minutes of afternoon tea in the Queens Room.

This is our second of 4 formal nights. Most are marked by some kind of reception but this time it is the Commodore's Cocktail Party for the Grill and Club guests so it's just a regular dinner. This voyage is part of a partnership with Julliard School and this evening they had Julliard Saxophonist Ron Blake appearing in the Chart room after early dinner to a standing room only crowd.

The Royal Cunard Singers and Dancers held their first production show, Crazy in Love, in the Royal Court Theater. The Big Band Ball was held tonight, but I was running out of steam and didn't stay up for it, but this one appears to be featured on the wearecunard blog:

http://wearecunard.com/2011/08/big-band-ball-on-board-queen-mary-2

As today's parting shot I will venture into the realm of comparisons. I have now seen on this trip 3 very different versions of production shows on the 3 ships. Both HAL ships use a cast of 8 with different makeup, while QM2 has 16. My opinion is that the best shows were on the Prinsendam. Their cast had 2 lead singers, 2 singer-dancers, and 4 dancers, but all of the members seemed to support both the vocal and the dancing aspects of the show filling the stage with sound and activity. I would rate those shows perhaps a 9.5 on a scale of 10. The Rotterdam had 6 singers (4 male, 2 female) and 2 dancers (both female). The singers were good but the "bookend" dancers were as much a distraction as support and they lacked the interactions of male-female dancers together. I'd rate those shows about a 7.0. QM2's cast of 4 singers and 12 dancers were an excellent show (9.0) but seemed at times to be 2 separate groups rather than a cohesive whole. While the show was excellent, I believe we get the best results when we use everyone's talents to the fullest.

Roy

As promised the North Atlantic showed it's wilder side today. I went out on deck early in an attempt to beat the weather. It was very overcast, foggy, with near-gale winds coming across the deck. When I was halfway through the walk a strong shower arose and I retreated to inside for a second cup of coffee. In his morning show Paul O'Loughlin interviewed our Juliard representative Ron Blake. I finished my walk when there was a break in the rain about 8:30. It was still very windy on deck with rough seas that made walking difficult except in a few places, especially the well protected bow, and QM2 stayed quite steady.

Cunard Insights had a full morning schedule with Marine Biologist Don Menelly spoke on the laying of the first transatlantic cable, and the reputation and fortunes of Cyrus Field. Astronaut Jeffrey Hoffman spoke on the repair of the Hubble space telescope and the delicate business of fixing a flaw a fraction the size of a human hair. He started with the year and a half preparation for the mission, the challenges of working with a space suit and had a video of the actual repair process. This program would have to be described as a hit as Illuminations was totally packed with people sitting in the aisles and standing.

At his noon update Commodore Rynd suggested improving weather on Saturday. We have sailed 1395 miles and have 1696 remaining to go, and the temperature is 15/60. At lunchtime the sun also made an appearance. I have been carrying a couple of books and have found very little time for reading. There is a midday lull in the program today and I decided to get a little use out of my book. The recliners at the Pavillion Pool were just the right place.

The afternoon Insights presentation was by QM2 Navigator James Griffiths on "History of Navigation" starting with attempts to navigate based on the migration patterns of birds and whales up through celestial methods (still practiced but it's getting harder to maintain skills) up to all the latest GPS technology. At the conclusion I made a brief visit to the end of the Afternoon Tea Dance in the Queens Room. This event was so popular there was a 5-10 minute wait to be seated.

The evening for our only Semi-Formal night came from the featured partners. RADA presented a 1-hour condensation of Hamlet in the Royal Court Theater and later in the evening Ron Blake from Juliard with Mark Hodgson Trio performed jazz in Illuminations. This was the first of the 2 nights of the voyage where we did not adjust our clocks.

Today's parting shot comes from Astronaut Jeffrey Hoffman's lecture on the Hubble and the start of the mission and gives a whole new perspective on travel. He was describing the views he had as he went from launch to the Hubble: "The Pacific is HUGE: It took 30 minutes to cross it".

Roy

The morning started blustery with 30-knot headwinds, rough seas, and a light fog. While QM2 was rock-steady the wind was gusty and a challenge for walking. At one time it felt like my foot was being blown off course as I set it down on the deck. By the end of my walk the fog had gotten heavier.

In his morning show Paul O'Loughlin interviewed astronomer Tom Boles. In the strange quotes segment he mentioned a sign in an Irish hotel, "If you want to wake with a smile on your face, go to bed with a coat hanger in your mouth." I guess I'll never understand Irish Humor.

There were 2 morning Cunard Insights presentations. Steven Rivellino started things off with "Berlin Cabaret" discussing the early 20th century entertainment in Germany and it's relationship to the social and political movements of the time. Astronomer Tom Boles presented "My Favorite Pictures from the Hubble Space Telescope" to a packed house. His heavy accent was still a stumbling block but his pictures, including several sequences of progressing events, were amazing.

At his noon update Commodore Rynd reported we are due east of St. Johns with 1857 miles behind us and 1232 to go. The temperature is 12/54 and it is still foggy. The seas have backed off from rough to moderate but the force 7 near gale winds are now a force 8 full gale.

Earlier this year I had hoped to sail on the new Queen Elizabeth but that trip got cancelled due to higher priority trips. I spoke with Yoyo in future bookings and have made 2 alternative plans for QE voyages, either a 2-day sailing in June from Southampton to Hamburg with appropriate QM2 crossings, or an April 2013 crossing. I have my heart set on an April 2013 voyage on Crystal Symphony from Kobe to Vancouver, so the later would mean flying from London to Kobe. It's a crazy itinerary but that seems to be my specialty. Time will tell if either actually happens.

Marine Biologist Dan Menelly was the featured afternoon presenter with "The Monster Show--Part 2". He started with a review of the technology used to explore undersea starting with 17th century manually powered submersibles through the latest transport vehicles and electronic technology and then described a variety of sea cucumbers, tube worms, sea spiders, and other strange creatures which mostly lived on a sulphur rather than carbon based diet. I left immediately at the end of the talk for the end of Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room with Simon Galfe at the Piano. By late afternoon the seas were "slight", winds force 5, and the sun made an appearance.

This was a formal night on the ship. Between meal seatings we had the World Club reception. The Royal Cunard Singers (sans dancers) provided the evening headline entertainment, backed by the combined Royal Court and Queens Room Orchestras, the Adagio String Quartet, and Rachel on the harp. For the second consecutive night we are not adjusting our clocks, so we will gain an hour each of the last 2 nights.

Today's parting shot comes from the conclusion of Paul's morning show (condensed by me). What if you had an account where you were credited every morning with $86,400. No balance was carried over to the next day, but it is refilled every morning. Anything not used by the end of the day is lost. You would want to use the entire balance each day. You do have such an account. Every morning you are credited with 86,400 seconds to use or to lose. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

Roy

We had a couple of rough sea days. I encountered thsxted at the galley tour and he reported no problems other than a slight headache. He did mention that some of his tablemates missed a meal due to mal de mer, and said next time he will accept an upgrade if offered.

I woke to calm seas and winds, with fog and evidence of rain. The humidity was so high my glasses constantly fogged up on my walk. Since we have been proceeding westward without a clock change for 2 days now, sunrise has moved back from 5AM to 6:30; it makes little practical difference since the sun is not really visible until much later. Today was actually my earliest sin sighting around 8:40am.

The day started with a lecture by Astronomer Tom Boles on “The Lives and Deaths of Stars”, but I skipped it for a tour of the galley. I believe this was the first time I have seen a galley tour on QM2, and I have now visited the galleys on all 3 of my ships. This was effectively a self-guided walkthrough. We were each given a guide sheet as we passed by the entrance to Britannia Club and made our way past the dish return area to the general preparation area and finally the pastry shop. It was a very popular event. I was about a half hour making my way through and as I left people were still lined up and starting the tour. I had some quiet time as the 11:15 cooking demonstration didn't interest me, and went for lunch in Britannia for a change. At his noon update Commodore Rynd informed us we had gone 2324 miles with only 760 to go. The temperature is up to 18/65 and winds are force 3 but the weather is expected to take another downward turn.

At 2:15 RADA made a presentation of Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales in the Royal Court Theater, followed by the Chart Auction and Virtual Bridge tour in Illuminations. Each voyage the official Navigation Chart is auctioned off with the proceeds going to benefit the Prince's Trust, a UK organization that works with youth having difficulties. Some of these auctions have been very productive and earned well over $1,000 for the Trust; this one was quieter and raised only $400. Years ago Bridge tours were common on cruise ships but are very rare today. QM2 has addressed this in 2 ways. There is a window at the back of the bridge where people can view the activities there from the forward area of the Deck 12 corridor in daylight hours. There is also generally a "Virtual Bridge Tour" in Illuminations where one of the Senior officers presents a slide show of the controls and instrumentation on the bridge, explains what the various instruments do and how the watches are organized, and answer questions. I left immediately at the end of the presentation for the end of Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room.

This is the final formal night of the voyage. We had Baked Alaska but the parade was only the kitchen staff and there were no platters carried. The evening entertainment was Apassionata, the energetic show featuring the dancers at their best.

As today's parting shot I am looking a bit longingly at the map on the ScanDisplay. I feel both a sadness that we are passing south of Halifax and the end of this journey is approaching but look forward to being back this way on the Crystal Symphony in October.

Roy

Thanks, Jackie

I woke to calm seas and winds, with fog and evidence of rain. The humidity was so high my glasses constantly fogged up on my walk. Since we have been proceeding westward without a clock change for 2 days now, sunrise has moved back from 5AM to 6:30; it makes little practical difference since the sun is not really visible until much later. Today was actually my earliest sin sighting around 8:40am.

From the Cunard forum:

Thank you so very much for taking us with you on this journey. Can cnot believe it is coming to an end :( But I am curious to hear the story on your sin sighting .... Do tell :eek:

Wow, I really can’t type, can I? Not even a 3-letter word like sun.

From the HAL forum:

Thanks for spending the time to post and allow us to join you on the voyages.

I know it was a great time. Now is the time to start planning the next cruise.:)

Ginger and Professor, already done.

Next cruises October 1-25 Grande Caribe and Crystal Symphony, NY-Montreal-NY

Next HAL Zaandam 2/5-19, Singapore to Hong Kong

The final day at sea started with calm conditions. Sunrise came about 6:30 midway on my walk and a huge orange ball rose slowly from a clear horizon as I made my way back on the ship. Finishing the walk around 7, I watched the morning show with Paul O'Loughlin, interviewing Jakob Fichert and Comedian Adrian Walsh, and then went down to the Britannia for breakfast.

The Cunard Insights Enrichment Program came to an impressive windup. Steven Rivellino started things off at 10 with a program on "Radio City Music Hall - The Showplace of the Nation".

The Interdenominational worship service came at 11 led by Commodore Rynd, and I missed the beginning of Jeffrey Hoffman's presentation "Private Space Flight - New Players in the Space Arena", but caught most of what I missed from TV at 5PM.

In his noon update Commodore Rynd reported we had completed 2764 miles with 320 to go. We expect to pass under Verizzano Narrows Bridge about 4:40. The weather in New York is expected to be beautiful as it currently is on the ship. How beautiful? Bordwalk Cafe was open on a sea day. That's a first for me.

The afternoon began with a matinee performance by pianist Jakob Fichert playing music by Mozart, Grieg, and Gershwin.

Tom Boles brought the Cunard Insights program to a conclusion with "Learn Cosmology in 45 Minutes - Discover how we know of the Cosmos". I left at the conclusion of the talk for my final brief time at Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room, then returned to my room and packing.

The final evening show of the voyage was a variety show featuring a stint by comedian Adrian Walsh followed by a few selections by the Royal Cunard Singers and Dancers. At the end the dancers went out to the entrances to greet the departing audience.

Today's parting shot goes back to Steven Revillino's presentation. He described how the architect for Radio City Music Hall got the idea for the Proscenium design. He was on an ocean liner on his way to New York to present his plans, and while out on deck pondering possibilities he looked at a clear horizon and saw a beautiful orange sun making it's way into the sky, much as I saw this morning. I'm no architect but somehow it feels like history is repeating itself.

Roy

This post comes to you live from Queen Mary 2 returning from the Elegant Explorer.

Unfortunately, we are now at Red Hook with 0.0 nautical miles remaining to New York. The first lines went out about 6:05 It' looks like a beautiful day for New York We have now received clearance for disembarkation at about 6:40.

Roy

Unfortunately, we are now at Red Hook with 0.0 nautical miles remaining to New York. The first lines went out about 6:05 It' looks like a beautiful day for New York We have now received clearance for disembarkation at about 6:40.

Roy

Hi Roy, enjoyed reading all your posts. Unfortunately your exciting trip had to come to an end. Like you say you have got your next two trips booked. That's the best way to end a trip looking forward to the next one.

I have to wait until next year for mine.

Safe journey home.

Catherine

Roy

Roy, welcome home.

Welcome home Roy

'Old Sea Dog' (Roy and Sue) will be with you on the Montreal - New York Crystal Symphony cruise. After a couple of days R & R, they will be joining the QM2 transatlantic, 7th October, which (by coincidence) I am also booked on. (I first met them on the Symphony).

If you bump into them at the CC Meet and Mingle, perhaps you can give them some pointers on what's good to do on the QM2 and what's best avoided. They, like me, are QM2 virgins. Happy cruising.

Trudi

I set the alarm for 4:15 but actually woke up about 4. The weather when I walked on deck was mostly clear and beautiful with a significant wind. Since my GPS said the Verizzano Narrows Bridge was still 10 miles away I went down for coffee. It was a little after 5 when we passed under the bridge with a large crowd up on decks 12 and 13, and both the mast and funnel appeared to be very close to the bridge. We eased along the way to Red Hook, swiveled around, and backed alongside the dock, tossing the first line ashore about 6:05, leaving me about 90 minutes for breakfast and final wandering around the ship before reporting to Todd English to await disembarkation.

The call came about 8:40; I was in the border control queue at 9 and on the transfer coach about 9:15.

Some of you know I am a junkie. On arrival I went straight to Club Acela to store my gear and then directly to Tim Hortons (you thought they were only in Canada, eh). A few timbits later I was headed out to the street. My next voyage is on a very small ship (Grande Caribe) which will be leaving from Chelsea Piers, and the night before I am booked at the Jane Hotel. The Jane, mentioned on the Cunard forum, is an older hotel noted as a welcome refuge for survivors of the Titanic. It is within walking distance of Penn Station, but not with a load of luggage. I found the stops where I will board the bus to the Jane and the hotel itself, then returned by the High Line. This is a new park/trail on a former elevated railway track, and follows the Hudson fairly closely.

I had noted on maps that Governors Island seemed to now be open to the public, and got on the subway for Battery Park. The ferry to Governors Island departs from the old Staten Island terminal but only Friday to Sunday. I walked back to ground zero and up Broadway to Penn Station and some TH Chicken Soup, then took a first hand look at the Radio City Music Hall, returning to Club Acela about 4:30.

I'll note that the weather in New York has been perfect all day, a welcome change from the sweltering day I left on the Rotterdam.

My 6PM train departed on time and appears to be running on time. We’re just leaving Philadelphia and I’ll be home about 9PM.

Today's parting shot: It has been a wonderful 6 weeks. While my adventure is over one of my tablemates is returning home on QM2 as we speak. Bon Voyage, Mike.

Roy

This post comes to you live from Acela Express train 2119 returning from the Elegant Explorer and Queen Mary 2.

Archived