rafinmd is returning in stile from the Arctic

rafinmd

I am currently in Edinburgh (Rosyth) on HAL’s Prinsendam, completing 19 glorious days in Scotland, Faroes, Iceland, Norway and the Polar Ice cap. The ship is continuing to Amsterdam, but I will be leaving it here. I had hoped to continue to Amsterdam and fly to the UK on embarkation day but HAL, Cunard, and my TA all agreed that was just too risky, so I have one night in York and one in Southampton.

Since the purpose of the trip is my Prinsendam voyage, I consider it a HAL trip and am reporting the whole thing there but the crossing may also be of some interest to Cunarders.

My reports to date have been at http://arctictriple.wordpress.com (With pictures) and also at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1441803

Roy

I am currently in Edinburgh (Rosyth) on HAL’s Prinsendam, completing 19 glorious days in Scotland, Faroes, Iceland, Norway and the Polar Ice cap. The ship is continuing to Amsterdam, but I will be leaving it here. I had hoped to continue to Amsterdam and fly to the UK on embarkation day but HAL, Cunard, and my TA all agreed that was just too risky, so I have one night in York and one in Southampton.

Since the purpose of the trip is my Prinsendam voyage, I consider it a HAL trip and am reporting the whole thing there but the crossing may also be of some interest to Cunarders.

My reports to date have been at http://arctictriple.wordpress.com (With pictures) and also at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1441803

Roy

Will that be your first visit to York, Roy?

J

I am currently in Edinburgh (Rosyth) on HAL’s Prinsendam..I consider it a HAL trip and am reporting the whole thing there but the crossing may also be of some interest to Cunarders...

At the risk of being branded a killjoy, I'm not sure this really is a Cunard topic. If it was, then every repositoning cruise would technically be a "transatlantic crossing" as well.

At the risk of being branded a killjoy, I'm not sure this really is a Cunard topic. If it was, then every repositoning cruise would technically be a "transatlantic crossing" as well.

It will become so when he boards the QM2 on August 15th 2011 for the transatlantic crossing.

Marie, please feel free to ignore this thread. Sorry for the type in the title, and it is my first visit to York.

I slept little the last night, getting up just before 5 and completing a 2-mile walk somewhere between overcast and drizzle about 6. The pilot boat passed my window just as I returned to my room. We entered the harbor, passing under the railroad and highway bridges about 7:30 and pulling in behind the Boudicca. Eight people were expected to leave the ship; when I arrived 2 were already there with a noon flight. They said they were told quite certainly to be there AT 8:00 and were quite annoyed when the immigration people didn't start processing people until after 8:30. 3 passengers arrived about 8:10 while I never saw the final two even though the staff said they were called repeatedly. Tough situation for the crew when some passengers (understandably) want things done on time and others can't be bothered despite repeated coaxing.

I was not leaving the ship until 10 and had ample time for final checks and a leisurely breakfast. Things did not go smoothly at the pier. Apparently, with the Tatoo in Edinburgh buses were in short supply and some that were ordered did not arrive. There were 2 buses in service, a shuttle to the end of security and another to the train station. The one to the cruise terminal appeared frequently but carried only one or two passengers per trip. There was a long line waiting for the one to the train station, with one bus running every 30 minutes. After about 20 minutes the bus appeared and filled and left with me still about 20 people away from boarding. Fortunately, a second bus finally arrived about 15 minutes later. I boarded but it also filled and left about 20 people behind. Finally, about 10:45 the first bus arrived less than full, but there was a period of about 3 hours where the available shuttle was unable to keep up with the need and the lines got very long, particularly around 9AM.

When I arrived at Inverkeithing station there was also a long line to buy train tickets; I bypassed it since I had a railpass. My train to Edinburgh was very crowded for the 30-minute ride. I got my last view of the Elegant Explorer from the rail bridge. Waverly station was a total zoo with people milling everywhere and a very crowded platform for the train towards London. There were also signal problems and a local train appeared 10 minutes after ours was due. It was totally packed with barely a square inch of available standing room. We were told to go to a different platform and our train finally left 25 minutes late. The train was very crowded but also very nice, with complimentary meal/snacks if First Class.

The cab ride from York station to the Holgate Hill hotel was less than a mile. The room is tiny but comfortable, with wifi in the lounge but it does not reach to the room.

I returned to town, walked around a bit, and landed at the National Railway Museum. A pure delight it had w huge buildings of equipment covering most of 2 centuries with several exhibits you could get inside, and a working roundtable. By this time I was quite tired but loved it anyway.

I retired early with the knowledge that two great ships were on w-day sailings I am connecting with. The Elegant Explorer is on its way to Amsterdam where a new group of travelers will be thrilled with it's special destinations and wonderful service, and QM2 is on it's way from Hamburg to Southampton where I will meet up with it and bring my wonderful adventure to a conclusion.

Roy

The Edinburgh Festival is in full swing just now and the city centre is packed with tourists.( So us residents are in hiding in the suburbs!) The Royal Military Tattoo on the Castle Esplanade is a major attraction but is only on at night. I assume the poster meant the festival in general rather than the Tattoo specifically. Actually the dock area is not too far from the City Centre and there are many ordinary buses that could take people there without waiting for special shuttle ones. Whatever. I hope they enjoy their visit.

The Edinburgh Festival is in full swing just now and the city centre is packed with tourists.( So us residents are in hiding in the suburbs!) The Royal Military Tattoo on the Castle Esplanade is a major attraction but is only on at night. I assume the poster meant the festival in general rather than the Tattoo specifically. Actually the dock area is not too far from the City Centre and there are many ordinary buses that could take people there without waiting for special shuttle ones. Whatever. I hope they enjoy their visit.

Is the tram running yet? :)

I am boarding QM2 tomorrow for B2B and to start things off I am having dinner with my son (who is also coming with me on QM2) this evening in the Hawes Inn @ South Queensferry, a bit Pub Grubish but the food is excellent and sitting by the window is a treat. As a child visiting "The Ferry" we used to watch the car ferries going to and from N Queensferry - prior to the road bridge being built and it always amazed me that my father knew which boat was "on the other side" until I realized many years later that he simply looked at the names of those collecting cars at our side and simply worked out which was missing. They were all named after Queens - Margaret/Mary etc.

I think I may have given my age away!!

Our first trip on QE2 in 2005 we boarded at South Queensferry and sailed out on the tender to join the ship. It was wonderful- lunch at the Hawes in with friends, check cases in to a tent across the road then out underneath the Forth Bridge. Now thats what I call an embarkation! Happy days.

I hadn't heard about throwing a penny from that beautiful bridge for luck but today I suspect the train is so sealed it would be impossible. It's a shame QM2 couldn't have started in Edinburgh (somewhere outside the bridge of course) but such is life. I'm not aware of a tram in Edinburgh, and with all my junk never stepped outside Waverly Station (and I had only 5 minutes until my York. While I stood on the platform I heard calls of trains going to Aberdeen and stopping in Inverkeithing; it would have been great not to have to change in Waverly. With the crowding and confusion at the pier I don't think anyway I could have timed my arrival at Inverkeithing to connect with a direct train to York.

Norine, I hope to meet you on the ship.

Roy

Roy - I am a QM2 addict and as usual I am counting the minutes to boarding. I fly to Soton first thing in the morning which means a very early rise - no problem there I doubt I will sleep tonight with excitement - I never did grow up!

Nippy Sweetie, thanks for explaining...it does sound like great fun! I hope to visit Edinburg some day.:) -S

I woke about 6:30, and it's surprising how much junk you unpack and use in a 1-night hotel stay. Repacking, internet, and laziness continued a bit past 8 and I went down to the breakfast room for a quick breakfast. St. Paul's Holgate Church was about 2 short blocks from the B&B and services were at 8:45. B&B checkout was at 10 so I took my bags to the storeroom and took a walk "around" York. The city has some of the best walls preserved in England, and the walk is 2 miles. The walk is usually about at the rooftop level of a 2-story house. It's a walk that requires some attention as the wall extends about 5 feet above the path on the outside but the inside is about a 10-foot drop to the grass below. There are 2 scenic crossings of the River Ouse, a castle and (I believe) a cathedral which is being renovated.

I finished the walk about noon and was on the 12:36 train to London. I had originally planned to go through Birmingham, which would not have required a change of station when connecting, but that train was much later with infrequent service, and my experience with a late train from Edinburgh made it seem a bit risky.

The ride to London was about 2 hours and very comfortable. I arrived at Kings Cross Station about 2:40 and went into the underground. The walks at each station seemed quite long. Once I arrived at the proper platform my first ride was only one stop to Euston, but then I found the Northern Line which would have taken me directly to Waterloo was closed and the signs said "use alternate routes" but there was no map of the network anywhere in sight. I had to wander the station looking for a system map and then returned to my original platform to continue 2 more stops to a new connection point where there were more long walks to the connecting train. Fortunately, when I finally arrived in Waterloo there was only a long escalator ride to the train station.

I arrived at Waterloo about 3:40 and my train to Southampton was 3:54. There were no luggage racks here but the train was not crowded so my backpack occupied the seat next to me. This train made a lot of stops but I arrived in Southampton about 5:30, A free city bus took me within a somewhat long walk from the Holiday Inn. Southampton was pretty much closed down Sunday evenings but I did get dinner and buy a few snacks.

I took a "short break" on my bed about 9 and woke up about 10, calling it a night. As I compose this early Monday, QM2 is sitting a mile outside my window.

As today's parting shot, the "Adventure" is pretty much over. Everything up to now has been new to me. This will be 5th QM2 crossing, my 4th Westbound. It will be very enjoyable but less an adventure.

Roy

Archived