Lufthansa to Europe

betterthanworking

Have you gone to LH's webpage and read the hand baggage limits? No, in economy you are allowed only one item.

Been to the website and it is very vague. Have you read it in it's entirety? It also continues on to say purse, camera, baby carrier, etc, etc. Not sure what that means. Anyway I have sent an email to Lufthansa for an answer.

Just curious as to how many answers you want. Even though you will get a response from LH, there have been more than enough posts here to indicate no matter what the official wording is, so much depends on where you are leaving from, how the gate agent feels that day, how full the flight is, etc. Despite having a ruling in black and white, it can and often is, still subject to whatever is going on that day.

And, if it's that much of a concern to you, just pack what the weight limit says and be done with it.

Just curious as to how many answers you want. Even though you will get a response from LH, there have been more than enough posts here to indicate no matter what the official wording is, so much depends on where you are leaving from, how the gate agent feels that day, how full the flight is, etc. Despite having a ruling in black and white, it can and often is, still subject to whatever is going on that day.

And, if it's that much of a concern to you, just pack what the weight limit says and be done with it.

Thank you very much for your sage advice. Don't know what I would do without it!

Lufthansa is our airline of choice when we go to Europe. Great service-far better than the US carriers in our experience. We have often changed planes in Frankfurt. It seems to me that when we flew to Frankfurt last time, and changed planes, that we did not go thru security. In fact, our plane was late and a Lufthansa employee met us as we deplaned (on the tarmac) and drove us to our connecting gate. We came home on Lufthansa this past May. We flew from Venice to Frankfurt, and then connected. When we got to Frankfurt we did in fact have to go through security again, and show our travel documents. Not certain why, maybe it was because we were coming on from a Schengen country and connecting to NA. Not certain...someone else may answer.

Our carry on bags were never questioned or weighed-they never have been. Luck perhaps? The unfortunate ladies ahead of us at Venice check-in each had a carry on plus 2 shopping bags with glass in them. They were told to either get it down to one or pay a high price to take the others (not sure how much as I cannot remember but it seemed to me it was either $70. or 70E each, ie 140 dollars or euros. per person.

We had an excellent flight on Lufthansa from Charlotte to Frankfort, but the flight was 20 minutes late We needed to get a boarding pass for our flight to Nice as we were unable to get one in advance. There was NO One to direct us to the correct location. Consequently, we missed our connecting flight. Fortunately, the ladies in the Business Class lounge we able to get us priority wait listed on the next flight.

Thank you very much for your sage advice. Don't know what I would do without it!

It really was good advice.

In practice, it does not matter what the head office tells you. If the gate agent insists on sticking the bag in the luggage hold, that is where it will end up.

It really was good advice.

In practice, it does not matter what the head office tells you. If the gate agent insists on sticking the bag in the luggage hold, that is where it will end up.

Really?? I guess I considered it sarecastic criticism for my asking questions. After all isn't that what this forum is all about? I thought it was, but, I could be wrong.

Thank you!

I guess my key point was we were in Business. DW had her small backpack, plus we both had standard carry on bags. Nobody said a word. Again, we were also in A321, which has a more standard overhead space, compared to the Embraer it sounds like you may be flying on. Among those that fly regularly, those "regional jets" are known to have much smaller overheads.

I guess I am ignorant, but I don't know what a laptop backpack is. I would say, from my experience, an item that is more than 8 inches thick, by 18 inches long, by 12-15 inches deep, a little larger than a standard brief case, will not work in the regional jets.

I've flown Lufthsana through Frankfurt too. Each visit has been different but one consistency is the size and weight limit for carry on. Since the late 90's we have always been limited to ONE carry on within the weight limit. That one carry on can be a purse, a computer bag, a rolling bag or whatever....but just one.

We have docked on the tarmac and bussed to the terminal. We have been herded through ground level corridors, up and down steps, through underterminal roadways used by baggage handlers filled with horrid exhaust...you name it we have experienced the long walks through the terminal, our rolling carry ons have been weighed and measured while transiting.

My best advice is to make sure you have one carry on and that it can fit in the RJ. It's not going to be easy to keep all of your precious items in such a small bag but it's better to downsize this than have your camera, passport, money, meds, jewelry etc. taken out of your control to be gate checked.

Rule to always remember: The gate agent is God. Or pretty darn close. A supervisor might overrule them, but don't count on that. GAs are the keepers of the op-ups, the exit rows, the aisle seats and the VDBs. They can keep you from taking something down the jetway or they can let you pass. They can work magic for a reroute if you have irops or you can end up routed through Lagos, Ulan Bator and LAX. You can find your party of four in rows 6, 14, 26 and 44 if you get on their bad side. Or that crying baby with diarrhea can end up next to you.

They have pressure from above to be vigilant on cabin baggage, and to not be in the business of waivers and favors. Remember, their job is to have the aircraft pushed back and gone by departure time -- all within the rules and regulations of the airline and governmental agencies. Everything else is in the discretionary side of the job description.

I guess my key point was we were in Business. DW had her small backpack, plus we both had standard carry on bags. Nobody said a word. Again, we were also in A321, which has a more standard overhead space, compared to the Embraer it sounds like you may be flying on. Among those that fly regularly, those "regional jets" are known to have much smaller overheads.

I guess I am ignorant, but I don't know what a laptop backpack is. I would say, from my experience, an item that is more than 8 inches thick, by 18 inches long, by 12-15 inches deep, a little larger than a standard brief case, will not work in the regional jets.

A laptop backpack is about 12" x 15" x 4". We are on an A321 from Detroit to Frankfurt then on a small commuter plane to Florence. I am sure they will want to put our roll ons in the hold on the commuter flight. In fact, I don't care if they want to put the roll ons in the hold at the gate, as long s they do not charge me the $70 they get for a second bag.

A laptop backpack is about 12" x 15" x 4". We are on an A321 from Detroit to Frankfurt then on a small commuter plane to Florence. I am sure they will want to put our roll ons in the hold on the commuter flight. In fact, I don't care if they want to put the roll ons in the hold at the gate, as long s they do not charge me the $70 they get for a second bag.

A321 from Detroit to Frankfurt? That is a pretty small plane for that flight.

Your laptop backpack will fit in the overhead. Can't answer about if they charge you the second bag fee.

Rule to always remember: The gate agent is God. They can work magic for a reroute if you have irops or you can end up routed through Lagos, Ulan Bator and LAX.

Ulan Bator is my favorite on that list. Between Lagos and LAX it depends if the latter involves the Bradley terminal. <grin>

I called Lufthansa and they stated that in addition to a regulation size carryon you were allowed a second "small" bag, backpack, etc. They did not define small.

Had a friend just do a rt from Detroit to Florence and back. He flew KLM going over with no problems. He started back on Alitalia and they were very strict with weight limits on checked and carryons.

A321 from Detroit to Frankfurt? That is a pretty small plane for that flight.

There is non-stop 737 service between IAH and AMS. Operated by Privatair for KLM, it's an all-business configuration with 56 seats. Smaller than an A321, though with much longer legs.

I agree with alidor and grandma*knows*best. I have found LH VERY strict about carry-ons, and have seen them with a handheld scale in FRA at the gate, weighing people's carry-ons and checking them because they were too heavy.

I'd also agree that the seats in economy are very tight, and I avoid flying in this class of service on LH at all costs. Just don't take a bag heavier/larger than their requirements, and you won't have to worry about it.

As an aside, I also have found the agents at FRA to be incredibly "picky" and after going through security again to catch a connecting flight, I had to go to a "special room" to have everything in my carry-on checked and swabbed. It was a PITA.

thanks for the info...i had been considering LH to Europe but I may have been persuaded now to drive a little further to JFK and take Iberia

We flew through Frankfurt in both directions on a round trip Rome in June. We were in business class. The gate agent in Frankfurt on the way over "tried" to take my carry on which was the only bag I had with me (no checked bags) plus my purse. My carry on weighed only 15 k - the max allowed. I showed her my boarding pass and she let me through. The 3 others in my party had just their rollaboard carry on (no checked bags) and had no problems. They were very full that day and were NOT allowing anyone to take more than one item onboard if they were in coach. That being said - others in business class must have packed all of their belongings into their rollaboards because they had great difficulty lifting them into the overhead compartments. I was very angry because I packed according to the rules and they did not. - But it was a freeing experience not to have too much while in Rome.

Don't take the chance with more than one bag if you are in coach!

• 1 month later...

I'm confused. We are flying Lufthansa from MIA/DUS/FRA/VCE in business. According to Lufthansa's website, we are each allowed two pieces of hand luggage not to exceed 8K in weight and specific dimensions. I have a standard sized rollaboard that is larger than the allowed dimensions.

I will probably call Lufthansa to confirm...but reading about people taking rollaboards as hand luggage is confusing me. What size rollaboards is everyone referring to?

Thanks! :)

Liz

I have a standard sized rollaboard that is larger than the allowed dimensions.

What size rollaboards is everyone referring to?

There's no such thing as a "standard" size. You can take on anything of the size which your specific airline will allow. The mere fact that a different airline will allow you to carry on everything including the kitchen sink will not sway your airline at all, which will apply its own rules if it's minded to.

There's no such thing as a "standard" size. You can take on anything of the size which your specific airline will allow. The mere fact that a different airline will allow you to carry on everything including the kitchen sink will not sway your airline at all, which will apply its own rules if it's minded to.

Thanks...that was what I thought. I always check what the requirements are and my rollaboard will have to be checked. Fortunately, we'll be allowed two checked bags at no charge. I am almost fully packed so it will just mean shifting some items out of that bag....but I was hoping.:D

Liz

Much prefer LH over Iberia. LH is very professional. The food on Iberia - and I'm not that fussy about anything served at 35,000 feet - was awful. My husband had something called "meat" and they couldn't even tell him what kind of meat it was supposed to be. It was ground something. Seats on Iberia I thought were smaller, but who knows what plane you'll actually be in & how much room you'll have.

Just got off LH today, Munich to Charlotte ...LH agents at the gate were weighing carry ons and measuring sizes, gate checking those that didn't strictly comply with their policy on weight, dimensions and quantity, on both legs of the R/T.

The good news is that 2 bags were checked free and the food/service was excellent comparatively.

"Normal" carry size on is usually fulfilled with a 21" or 22" height roll-on bag, just be sure you don't overstuff and expand the width too much to avoid exceeding the parameters specified.

Just got off LH today, Munich to Charlotte ...LH agents at the gate were weighing carry ons and measuring sizes, gate checking those that didn't strictly comply with their policy on weight, dimensions and quantity, on both legs of the R/T.

The good news is that 2 bags were checked free and the food/service was excellent comparatively.

"Normal" carry size on is usually fulfilled with a 21" or 22" height roll-on bag, just be sure you don't overstuff and expand the width too much to avoid exceeding the parameters specified.

''

That is the size I have...but I definitely overstuff it and it exceeds the weight too!

Liz

Archived