OK. so NO Pumpkins, but what about a ..

slomotion

I wish HAL would do away with allowing people to bring on cases of wine and champagne -- 1 bottle a person may be okay.

Then HAL could lower the price of their own wines.

I never brought any kind of booze aboard and don't intend to, but why does it bother you if others do so ?:confused:

Okay so even if you don't bring a blender and pumpkin onboard, you still know how to still things up! :eek:

Frankly I think folks need to lighten up, IMHO. ;) :D

Opps I really meant : Okay so even if you don't bring a blender and pumpkin onboard, you still know how to SHAKE things up! :eek:

Frankly I think folks need to lighten up, IMHO. ;) :D

The noise of hearing a blender in the cabin next to me would drive me crazy.

Nice for you to make the cocktails you enjoy but spare a thought for your neighbours who are trying to enjoy theirs in peace please and leave the blender at home, thanks!

The immersion blender (see photo) we will bring on our cruise makes less noise than an electric razor and whips up a nice drink in about 20 seconds. Then we'll add ice to the glass and step out on to the veranda to sip and enjoy so the only sound our neighbors will hear is that of us slurping and saying ahhhh. Also we frequently befriend our neighbors and it is fairly common for them to join us for our afternoon libations.

I really hesitate to ask about bringing my chain saw after seeing the reactions to a blender!

blender_01.jpg.f1b0ffa7fa3e8b3da06b856a0b04fd99.jpg

So, let me take this one at a time, step by step starting with a real question regarding a pumpkin.

First, having years of experience in carving pumpkins, I'm pretty good at it and we're talking about your typical 12" pumpkin, nothing any larger.

Along with that pumpkin would have been several 13 gallon run-of-the mill plastic, disposable trash bags. Ours come from Costco. I would open one and then slice the sides to have a flat plastic coated work space, being careful that none of the innards or carved residue would fall anywhere except on that piece of plastic. When finished, I would gather the corners of that plastic, again being careful to contain all residue within it and place it inside of another plastic bag, pull the drawstrings tight and tie them. I would then walk to the Lido and ask one of the staff to please take the closed bag and dump it into their garbage. There would be no odor as it had just come from the pumpkin less than an hour before. All of this would have been done on 10/31 so as to have had the freshest possible pumpkin.

Probably on or about 11/2, I would take another plastic bag and slice the sides as described above, then sliced the pumpkin into smaller pieces, again being careful not to drop any and again place everything inside yet another plastic bag, again pulling the drawstrings and again tying it. At that point I would again carry the intact and closed bag to the Lido and again hand it to a staffer and ask that it be placed in their garbage bin. AT NO TIME would any HAL staffer or other guest even know what we had done or have been inconvenienced, and in fact the only HAL staffers that would even know would be the room stewards. The only other guests that would know would be those fortunate few invited to our suite for a gathering on Halloween.

Oh, one other person might know about the pumpkin, and that is the obviously dedicated and talented person that maintains the photo-gallery of the staterooms on-board the various HAL ships.

Gotcha:) I really did think you were joking!! It seemed to me to be a bit of levity meant to bring some calming influence to the boards:)

Just a suggestion, maybe find a battery operated Motor Boat. That is what I call our Immersion Blender. Here is a place to find them: http://www.blendersbest.com/batteryoperatedblender.html

My apologies for not taking you seriously until now.

And thank you for thinking of the site with the photos;)

Joanie

I never brought any kind of booze aboard and don't intend to, but why does it bother you if others do so ?:confused:

I would think that if HAL quit the practice of allowing us to bring "unlimited" wine onboard, I seriously doubt the price would drop of the wine and may instead be higher because there would be no competition if that option was taken away from passengers. So why lower the price - why not raise them instead since they have a "captive" audiance? Mind you, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate on this point.

Right now, I think HAL is right at or at times lower in price than other cruiselines for similar brands and styles. At least compared to Celebrity which IMO was extremely overpriced (along with their cocktail prices which HAL is a winner on already - no need to raise those HAL, pretty please :o).

I would think that if HAL quit the practice of allowing us to bring "unlimited" wine onboard, I seriously doubt the price would drop of the wine and may instead be higher because there would be no competition if that option was taken away from passengers. So why lower the price - why not raise them instead since they have a "captive" audiance? Mind you, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate on this point.

Right now, I think HAL is right at or at times lower in price than other cruiselines for similar brands and styles. At least compared to Celebrity which IMO was extremely overpriced (along with their cocktail prices which HAL is a winner on already - no need to raise those HAL, pretty please :o).

I think Princess limits how much wine you bring on and the prices are MUCH lower then HAL. I just find it funny that people are so against people bringing on alcohol yet will shlep on a ton of wine on the ship. I do realize that HAL allows wine but it seems a bit hypocritical to me. Ìt`s just way too much work to me to bring wine on. I`m not wanting to start a debate....this is my opinion only. YMMV.

I wish HAL would do away with allowing people to bring on cases of wine and champagne -- 1 bottle a person may be okay.

I have never taken a case of wine or champagne on a ship, don't want to hassle with it. However, if HAL changed the policy and limited passengers to 1 bottle per adult passenger, I seriously doubt HAL would lower the on board prices.

How about before leaving home, cut up pumpkin, place in blender and blend away 'till all is gone.

Now the mess is in your own kitchen and you have had the fun so sit down and do like the children do, draw and color a nice scarey pumpkin and put it on your cabin door for all to see.

Then go to the lounge get a cocktail and relax.

Helen

The reason was mentioned in the post:confused:.

I don't thing so. I guess $18 (corkage fee) is more than the profit on the average bottle of wine sold aboard AND if HAL lower the price less people would carry their own

Again, I don't do that but I imagine many do because the price, so......

The immersion blender (see photo) we will bring on our cruise makes less noise than an electric razor and whips up a nice drink in about 20 seconds. Then we'll add ice to the glass and step out on to the veranda to sip and enjoy so the only sound our neighbors will hear is that of us slurping and saying ahhhh. Also we frequently befriend our neighbors and it is fairly common for them to join us for our afternoon libations.

I really hesitate to ask about bringing my chain saw after seeing the reactions to a blender!

Why can't you buy a drink instead of fixing one?

I don't thing so. I guess $18 (corkage fee) is more than the profit on the average bottle of wine sold aboard AND if HAL lower the price less people would carry their own

Again, I don't do that but I imagine many do because the price, so......

Have you ever bought a bottle of wine on HAL? Maybe your prices are higher then ours are but I think the mark up on HAL is about 5 times the going price which would easily exceed $18:confused:.

If you think =X= is overpriced, don't go on AZ.:(

Have you ever bought a bottle of wine on HAL? Maybe your prices are higher then ours are but I think the mark up on HAL is about 5 times the going price which would easily exceed $18:confused:.

Are you saying you think the prices are 5 times the price of what you pay in a liquor store or 5 times what you pay in a good restaurant where you would be buying comparable wines?

Have you ever bought a bottle of wine on HAL?

No, I'm about to cruise with HAL for the first time

Maybe your prices are higher then ours are

Much higher

but I think the mark up on HAL is about 5 times the going price which would easily exceed $18

May be so, but remember their expenses over the buying price.

Are you saying you think the prices are 5 times the price of what you pay in a liquor store or 5 times what you pay in a good restaurant where you would be buying comparable wines?

Sail that would be my question too because I find HAL to be HUGE bargain compared to dining out or even just having a glass of wine or a cocktail here in Vegas. It is nothing to spend $60 for a bottle of wine at dinner at any restaurant and those are usually $10 bottles if you purchased them yourself. Glasses of wine will cost you $10+ here in Vegas, Cocktails are $12.00++ and if you find one for $9.95 it is a bargain. I think prices on HAL are more than fair.

You just cannot compare prices of a bottle of wine of what you purchase at a grocery store to what you purchase at a restaurant. I can never understand why everyone insists on doing this :confused:

For those that complain that the prices on HAL are high all I can say is they do not get out much:D

Now about the OP aka SLOMO asked about, first off I think everyone is being too hard on him because I know he is being serious and the little hand blender he wants to bring should be no problem at all. There are many people on this board that enjoy having cocktails in their cabin and why not. When having lots of sea days sitting in a huge corner aft suite balcony why not be able to make a cocktail in your cabin and not have to walk to a bar to get a drink then walk back to enjoy it out on your balcony. Heck you would have spilled half of it walking that far or the ice cubes would have melted.

I have heard many of you on this board talk about ordering bottles of liquor to be delievered to your cabin and that it is a fairly good price for most. If HAL offers this to be delivered to your cabin certainly they are expecting you to be mixing your own drinks right????

This is a 14 day cruise with almost 10 sea days that Slomo is talking about and he just wants to enjoy himself, if someone is driving to the port not flying and wants to bring on a few extra items I honestly do not see what the big deal is. They are the ones bringing the items on board, he is not asking all of you to carry this stuff on board for him :D

The question I was replying to was that HAL doesn't make $18 on any bottle of wine they sell. I'm not referrring to the markup of what a good restaurant and what it would see in a store for. That wasn't what I was talking about at all:confused:. This is really not what the thread is about so I need to not be contributing to the thread drift anymore.

I can't tell if the OP is serious or joking about bringing pumpkins and a blender. If serious, I don't think the pumpkin would get by security. Don't they forbid fruits, vegetables, etc from coming on board? Some kind of health law ?? :rolleyes:

I can't tell if the OP is serious or joking about bringing pumpkins and a blender. If serious, I don't think the pumpkin would get by security. Don't they forbid fruits, vegetables, etc from coming on board? Some kind of health law ?? :rolleyes:

It is highly likely they'd allow it to be brought aboard.

They are quite liberal about permitting food items brought on....... but ports are very strict about food/plants not being brought off the ships.

I'm not sure about the chain saw, but if you are going to be on the Noordam on Halloween - I want to know in what room these libations are being produced!

Archived