OK. so NO Pumpkins, but what about a ..

slomotion

OK, no Pumpkins, but what abut a blender?

It's a 14 day RT San Diego to Hawaii and having a nice home-made Pina Colada on the veranda sounds like a great idea to us.

We're driving, so weight is not a concern to us. We have a Deluxe Veranda Suite that has a bar, so there's a place for the blender, but I do not know if there is an electrical outlet.

I will be using a mix as oppose to "fresh" ingredients so there is less muss & fuss, & trash.

That said, anyone eve take their own blender on-board?

I think this is the first post I've seen in which someone wants to take a blender on a cruise. People take all sorts of things--trays for the lido, portable fans in case the AC is weak, fold-up beach chairs (for shoreside beaches), shoe-pocket organizers to hang on the bathroom door, duct tape, bungie cords, power bars, boogie boards, plus every form of electronic and/or camera device ever invented. But never a blender.

I don't see why not, although I don't know about the plug. Most of the no-nos, like irons and immersion heaters draw a lot of electricity and are fire concerns. A blender doesn't draw that much power.

My concern would be mess. You'll have to be careful to make smallish portions so that you don't spill. My blender tends to leak if I put too much in and don't really clamp down on the lid. I'd hate to make everything around the bar area sticky, which is what happens in my kitchen sometimes.

OK, no Pumpkins, but what abut a blender?

It's a 14 day RT San Diego to Hawaii and having a nice home-made Pina Colada on the veranda sounds like a great idea to us.

We're driving, so weight is not a concern to us. We have a Deluxe Veranda Suite that has a bar, so there's a place for the blender, but I do not know if there is an electrical outlet.

I will be using a mix as oppose to "fresh" ingredients so there is less muss & fuss, & trash.

That said, anyone eve take their own blender on-board?

why not just go get a pina colada from the bar and take it back to your verandah? really? I wouldn't - a bar in a deluxe verandah? :p I guess it depends upon what you call a bar. (and the ship you are on). Most of the 'bars' I have seen wouldn't hold much. anyways each to their own - I don't know if the ship will permit it or not. Maybe you should read the blender thread that cat133 kindly posted:D especially if you want a good laugh:D

I sure as heck hope that with the last 2 threads you have posted/started that you are really just trying to get a laugh??

Sorry, but I am not believing that you would A) seriously consider bringing an uncarved pumpkin aboard to carve and B) even consider bringing a blender...

Why not just bring your Port-O-Potty/Out House with you??:rolleyes:

Joanie

I sure as heck hope that with the last 2 threads you have posted/started that you are really just trying to get a laugh??

Sorry, but I am not believing that you would A) seriously consider bringing an uncarved pumpkin aboard to carve and B) even consider bringing a blender...

Why not just bring your Port-O-Potty/Out House with you??:rolleyes:

Joanie

So, let me take this one at a time, step by step starting with a real question regarding a pumpkin.

First, having years of experience in carving pumpkins, I'm pretty good at it and we're talking about your typical 12" pumpkin, nothing any larger.

Along with that pumpkin would have been several 13 gallon run-of-the mill plastic, disposable trash bags. Ours come from Costco. I would open one and then slice the sides to have a flat plastic coated work space, being careful that none of the innards or carved residue would fall anywhere except on that piece of plastic. When finished, I would gather the corners of that plastic, again being careful to contain all residue within it and place it inside of another plastic bag, pull the drawstrings tight and tie them. I would then walk to the Lido and ask one of the staff to please take the closed bag and dump it into their garbage. There would be no odor as it had just come from the pumpkin less than an hour before. All of this would have been done on 10/31 so as to have had the freshest possible pumpkin.

Probably on or about 11/2, I would take another plastic bag and slice the sides as described above, then sliced the pumpkin into smaller pieces, again being careful not to drop any and again place everything inside yet another plastic bag, again pulling the drawstrings and again tying it. At that point I would again carry the intact and closed bag to the Lido and again hand it to a staffer and ask that it be placed in their garbage bin. AT NO TIME would any HAL staffer or other guest even know what we had done or have been inconvenienced, and in fact the only HAL staffers that would even know would be the room stewards. The only other guests that would know would be those fortunate few invited to our suite for a gathering on Halloween.

Oh, one other person might know about the pumpkin, and that is the obviously dedicated and talented person that maintains the photo-gallery of the staterooms on-board the various HAL ships.

So, let me take this one at a time, step by step starting with a real question regarding a pumpkin.

First, having years of experience in carving pumpkins, I'm pretty good at it and we're talking about your typical 12" pumpkin, nothing any larger.

Along with that pumpkin would have been several 13 gallon run-of-the mill plastic, disposable trash bags. Ours come from Costco. I would open one and then slice the sides to have a flat plastic coated work space, being careful that none of the innards or carved residue would fall anywhere except on that piece of plastic. When finished, I would gather the corners of that plastic, again being careful to contain all residue within it and place it inside of another plastic bag, pull the drawstrings tight and tie them. I would then walk to the Lido and ask one of the staff to please take the closed bag and dump it into their garbage. There would be no odor as it had just come from the pumpkin less than an hour before. All of this would have been done on 10/31 so as to have had the freshest possible pumpkin.

Probably on or about 11/2, I would take another plastic bag and slice the sides as described above, then sliced the pumpkin into smaller pieces, again being careful not to drop any and again place everything inside yet another plastic bag, again pulling the drawstrings and again tying it. At that point I would again carry the intact and closed bag to the Lido and again hand it to a staffer and ask that it be placed in their garbage bin. AT NO TIME would any HAL staffer or other guest even know what we had done or have been inconvenienced, and in fact the only HAL staffers that would even know would be the room stewards. The only other guests that would know would be those fortunate few invited to our suite for a gathering on Halloween.

Oh, one other person might know about the pumpkin, and that is the obviously dedicated and talented person that maintains the photo-gallery of the staterooms on-board the various HAL ships.

You have a great plan for carving a pumpkin on a kitchen table. But there isn't a lot of surface area in the cabin to spread out the mess other than working of the floor. I still think a fake is better.

You decided to cruise over Halloween.

;) You have to make a few 'sacrifices'..... ;) :D

How about making the blender one of those 'sacrifices' and let the bartenders concoct your frozen drinkss?

I don't understand why anyone would want to drag all this aboard. Then again, I don't understand people wanting to shlep cases of wine on board either.

I wish HAL would do away with allowing people to bring on cases of wine and champagne -- 1 bottle a person may be okay.

Then HAL could lower the price of their own wines.

I sincerely hope the pumpkin person does not intend to put the traditional candle inside the completed pumpkin and light it. If so, that is one cruise ship I would not like to be on. I am surprised that nobody has brought that up before.

I sincerely hope the pumpkin person does not intend to put the traditional candle inside the completed pumpkin and light it. If so, that is one cruise ship I would not like to be on. I am surprised that nobody has brought that up before.

I did, actually, on the first pumpkin thread. If you're going to carve a pumpkin, the natural next step is to light a candle, which is a BIG no-no.

Fake jack-o-lantern with a little battery-operated candle or lightstick and everything is easy, clean, and safe.

And instead of a blender, what about a cocktail shaker? No noise for the neighbors to hear and there's the bonus of burning off a few calories as you shake.

VERY curious about it:eek:

Archived