Should I be Really Happy?

bruinlvr

Hi New Yorkers, I just booked a 4 1/2 star Soho-Downtown hotel on Hotwire for $135 per nite on 10/27 thru 10/29 and it is the W Hotel. Is this too good to be true?

I haven't booked the cruise yet. It will be the Carribean Princess out of Brooklyn to the Carribean. I've been on the fence on this cruise because I didn't want to spend a ton of $$$ on a hotel in Manhattan but that rate knocked me off that fence.

Now to book the cruise and airfare.

Hi New Yorkers, I just booked a 4 1/2 star Soho-Downtown hotel on Hotwire for $135 per nite on 10/27 thru 10/29 and it is the W Hotel. Is this too good to be true?

I haven't booked the cruise yet. It will be the Carribean Princess out of Brooklyn to the Carribean. I've been on the fence on this cruise because I didn't want to spend a ton of $$$ on a hotel in Manhattan but that rate knocked me off that fence.

Now to book the cruise and airfare.

It sounds like you got a great deal. We are going earlier in Oct. and found hotels to be very expensive in the city. What criteria did you put in to get the deal?

yes...get in your car, go to the local convenience store right now and buy a couple lottery tickets....

THAT is wonderful....must be a slow time in NYC..or slow in SOHO.....heck, that rate is super for almost ANY hotel in any big city that is at least 3.5 stars....

pat yourself on the back...maybe the upgrade fairy will visit you on the cruise as well!

Plus the location is great for getting over to Brooklyn.

You should be not be merely very happy, but ecstatic. You just won the NYC hotel lottery. Any 3* under $150 is fantastic, but a 4.5* for $135 is unbelievable. Congratulations.

It sounds like you got a great deal. We are going earlier in Oct. and found hotels to be very expensive in the city. What criteria did you put in to get the deal?

I've been checking every site you can think of and I just couldn't justify spending over $600 for pre cruise hotels. Then yesterday I checked Hotwire for New York and that was the 1st one that popped up. I thought I put the wrong date in to get that low but it was correct.

This will be my 1st time EVER in New York City so I'll be asking for a lot of advise from you natives. Like what is the best airport to fly into? And transportation to the hotel from the airports....

TIA for all the help offered.

I'd price all three airports. LaGuardia is 12 miles away, Newark is 14 miles and JFK is 20 miles. I'd look at the schedules and the arrival times. If the price is significantly cheaper to any one of the airports, I'd go with that. Car service from Newark may be a bit more expensive to get to NY, but probably not more than $20 more when you price it out to include the fare, tolls, and tip.

But don't forget you are sailing from Brooklyn. You need to figure out the car service from Brooklyn to Newark. It is probably more than EWR-Manhattan.(I'm sure someone here can set you straight) If you are a frequent flyer go with that airline if the price is about the same. If you use Continental you most likely will be going to EWR. AA has many flights to JFK, and don't forget to check out Jet Blue for pricing. All things being equal, it is easier to go from Brooklyn to JFK than to EWR. You need to cross two rivers to get to EWR from Brooklyn.

I'd price all three airports. LaGuardia is 12 miles away, Newark is 14 miles and JFK is 20 miles. I'd look at the schedules and the arrival times. If the price is significantly cheaper to any one of the airports, I'd go with that. Car service from Newark may be a bit more expensive to get to NY, but probably not more than $20 more when you price it out to include the fare, tolls, and tip.

You got a great deal - least expensive (pre-paid) rate on the W's website is $335. I checked Hotwire for just the night of 10/28 and the price goes up to $199. We've stayed at the W in Fort Lauderdale and it was great. I trust the ones in NY will be, too.

You might want to check with Princess to see if they offer airport transfers post cruise. If your flight is later, the transfer could be competitive with a cab/car service, particularly if you fly from Newark.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I don't have to worry about the airport from the pier. We are taking the Repo for New York to Ft Lauderdale. I know my way around FLL.

I'm pricing the airfare from SFO to JFK on Jet Blue and VirginAmerica. They fly into JFK, So JFK to Downtown in a cab is a flat fee, IIRC. My husband is very frugle and would he appreiciates the most inexpensive transportation. I want convienence and value.

If you don't have to worry about after the cruise, then airline price may be the determining factor. JFK cab is $45 + tolls + tip. LGA would be a meter rate, so you may want to price a car service. From EWR you definitely want a car service. The range should be $50-75.

If you don't have to worry about after the cruise, then airline price may be the determining factor. JFK cab is $45 + tolls + tip. LGA would be a meter rate, so you may want to price a car service. From EWR you definitely want a car service. The range should be $50-75.

Thanks 138east, what are the tolls in the big city. Most bridges here in the Bay Area are 5 bucks, except the Golden Gate Bridge 6 bucks. But I guess you have toll roads too.

VirginAmerica is HEAVEN!!!!

if you get a really good fare, it is worth it to check into upgrading to main cabin select and/or first class...i actually flew FC on them from MCO to LAX for under 300 bucks one way....worth every penny....i was able to upgrade 6 hours prior to departure for a very reasonable amount...got fed yummy food, and had this really cool never-empty wine glass....

of course, when i got up to get OFF the plane at LAX...welllllll:eek::o:D

Archived