Do you collect memorablia of Cruise Ships and such? - Care to share?

CruiseAdict218

19 hours ago, norboy76 said:

the TEV Wahine in happier times. second is the disaster.

I had never heard about this disaster until I visited Wellington.  Their New Zealand Maritime Museum had an interesting exhibit concerning the Wahine.  I bought a book there:  The Wahine Disaster:  A Tragedy Remembered.  Interesting reading to augment what I learned from their exhibit with many, many photos.  

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I had never heard about this disaster until I visited Wellington.  Their New Zealand Maritime Museum had an interesting exhibit concerning the Wahine.  I bought a book there:  The Wahine Disaster:  A Tragedy Remembered.  Interesting reading to augment what I learned from their exhibit with many, many photos.  

Mhm a sad day for the company and New Zealand, took me over 2 years at least to find that Wahine postcard.

I think I managed to get the interesting Costa Line postcard to finally load. It's Chandris' Amerikanis but they leased her to Costa and they had her from 1980 to 1984 then reverted back to the Chandris color funnel. Looks different seeing her in the *Linea C* funnel colors. 

Costa Amerikanis.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, norboy76 said:

I think I managed to get the interesting Costa Line postcard to finally load. It's Chandris' Amerikanis but they leased her to Costa and they had her from 1980 to 1984 then reverted back to the Chandris color funnel. Looks different seeing her in the *Linea C* funnel colors

I don't think I ever knew she had been leased to Costa.  A memory of Amerikanis:  She sailed prior to a ship that I was on from either New York or Port Everglades.  My ship caught up with her as she was steaming along with the most black smoke I have ever seen being emitted from her funnel.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I don't think I ever knew she had been leased to Costa.  A memory of Amerikanis:  She sailed prior to a ship that I was on from either New York or Port Everglades.  My ship caught up with her as she was steaming along with the most black smoke I have ever seen being emitted from her funnel.  

Fortunately this ship survived Costa, unlike one that had been chartered to her and caught fire, the Angelina Lauro which was chartered to Costa and up she went in 1979.

Costa seemed to lose a few of their ships 5 just to fires. (See List)

1. Anna C : 1971, Fire, Scrapped

2. Bianca C : 1961, Explosion, Fire, Sank

3. Fulvia: 1970, Fire, Sank

4. Angelina Lauro (has been chartered to Costa) ; 1979, Fire, Sank

5. Columbus : 1984, Rammed a breakwater, Reached port but sank at the dock, Scrapped

6. Costa Allegra : Engine Room Fire, Scrapped

7. Costa Concordia : 2012, Capsized, Partially Sank, Scrapped

• Like 2

18 hours ago, norboy76 said:

Costa seemed to lose a few of their ships 5 just to fires. (See List)

Costa's history with accidents is what caused me to disregard them for a possible cruise for many years.  Once they became part of the CCL group of cruise lines, I began to consider them:  both for their relationship to CCL as well as my interest in experience cruising on an "Italian" ship.  (Very much regret not sailing on an Italian Line ship, but, once, had an opportunity to sail on the Leonardo da Vinci shortly after there was a change in the ownership/management of the ship, but, was still Italian.  Didn't take that opportunity and sailed on the Statendam.)  

I admit to thinking after the Costa Concordia accident:  here we go again?  

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Costa's history with accidents is what caused me to disregard them for a possible cruise for many years.  Once they became part of the CCL group of cruise lines, I began to consider them:  both for their relationship to CCL as well as my interest in experience cruising on an "Italian" ship.  (Very much regret not sailing on an Italian Line ship, but, once, had an opportunity to sail on the Leonardo da Vinci shortly after there was a change in the ownership/management of the ship, but, was still Italian.  Didn't take that opportunity and sailed on the Statendam.)  

I admit to thinking after the Costa Concordia accident:  here we go again?  

Got another postcard. I really have bad luck with the ships I get or have items for. I found one for Epirotiki's Pallas Athena, which also ended in disaster catching on fire. Quite a few of my ship items seem to be from ships that ended in disaster. Here is the Pallas Athena is happier times and below is after her 1994 fire. I really need to find items from happy ships lol. 

Pallas Athena Postcard.jpg

Pallas Athena Fire Wreck.jpg

• Like 2

I got ahold of one really neat Costa postcard, It shows *The Fleet* on the postcard, and most are either scrapped or sold now, I think only 5 ships on this postcard are still with Costa. I will include the ship's info too. 

Fleet On Postcard:

Costa Allegra: 1989 - 2012 *Scrapped 2012

Costa Marina: 1988 - 2011 *Scrapped 2011

Costa Europa: 2002 - 2010 *Retired in 2020 *status: Laid Up, Expected to be scrapped

Costa Victoria: 1996 - 2020 *Scrapped 2020

Costa Atlantica: 2000 - 2020 *Sold to Carnival Cruise China

Costa Classica: 1991 - 2018 *Sold to Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line

Costa Mediterranea: 2003 - To be sold in 2021 to Carnival Cruise China

Costa Romantica: 1992 - 2020 *Sold to Celestyal Cruises *Cyprus* *Scrapped: 2021

Costa Fortuna: 2003 - still in fleet

Costa Magica: 2004 - To be sold to Carnival Cruise Line in 2022. New name not announced yet

Costa Concordia: 2006 - 2012 *Sank on her side with the loss of 32 lives

Costa Serena: 2007 - still in fleet

Costa Luminosa: 2009 - still in fleet

Costa Pacifica: 2009 - still in fleet

Costa Deliziosa: 2010 - still in fleet

de6cayd-cbc487ae-2c98-4cd7-8e49-41e440dd217e.jpg

• Like 1

Thought might find this postcard interesting as on the back, there is 2 company line logos. The *Linea C* for Costa and the one above it is *SGTM* Soc.Gen.Transports Maritimes. The postcard was made for when they chartered the cruise ship to Costa, between 1962 - 1965. They sold her to Costa in 1965 and she would become the Enrico C, then the Enrico Costa. They sold her in 1994 to Star Lauro where she became the *Symphony*. They chartered her to *Golden Sun Cruises in 2000 - 2001. Finally scrapped in 2001. Second photo is a zoom of the 2 logos together on the back of the postcard.

TN Provence Postcard.jpg

2 Line Logos.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have a question, found an interesting postcard for Cunard, does anyone remember this vessel when it belonged to them? The ship was called the *MV England*, this is the postcard I found for her with Cunard. Cunard owned this vessel between 1983 - 1986. Was curious to see if anyone here was on her or not. 

MV England Postcard.jpg

Acording to The Ship's List for Cunard, M/V England was purchased from DFDS in 1982 and left for Jeddah as an accommodation ship named America XIII.  Didn't see any other information about the ship and I have no memory of that ship.  Doubt that it ever served any ports in North America.

On 2/21/2022 at 4:08 PM, rkacruiser said:

Acording to The Ship's List for Cunard, M/V England was purchased from DFDS in 1982 and left for Jeddah as an accommodation ship named America XIII.  Didn't see any other information about the ship and I have no memory of that ship.  Doubt that it ever served any ports in North America.

She was on the run Capetown - Falkland Islands for Cunard, that's what I was able to find about her route she ran

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got a couple of interesting ship items. Shot glasses from the 1960s, they're called Roly Poly, if you lay on their side, the roll back upright. The other item is a record album and I also took a photo of the article on the back. 

1960s Princess Roly Poly Glasses.jpg

Cunard Lp.jpg

Cunard Lp Back Article.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, norboy76 said:

Got a couple of interesting ship items. Shot glasses from the 1960s, they're called Roly Poly, if you lay on their side, the roll back upright. The other item is a record album and I also took a photo of the article on the back. 

I do remember seeing that type of glasses, but, I don't recall where.  Never owned any myself.

What an interesting find of a record album!  RCA Camden records:  a lower cost brand of records made by RCA.  I have some of those 33.3 rpm records and wish my record player still worked.  One of my favorite Christmas albums is a RCA Camden recording.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I do remember seeing that type of glasses, but, I don't recall where.  Never owned any myself.

What an interesting find of a record album!  RCA Camden records:  a lower cost brand of records made by RCA.  I have some of those 33.3 rpm records and wish my record player still worked.  One of my favorite Christmas albums is a RCA Camden recording.  

I don't know if noticed, but not sure why but the lifeboat hanging off the side of the ship says *RMS Mauretania* and has a really nice illustration of the pool deck and the deck area for dancing it seems with a place for the band.

I have a nice collection of Lp Record Albums from ships. See list and year provided if known.

1. 1969 - Maiden QE2 Album

2. 1960 - Swedish American Musical Postcard 45 rpm

3. 1980 - Aleksandr Pushkin

4. 1980 - Mikhail Lermontov

5. 1966 - SS Raffaello (2 records for this ship, see following album)

6. 1970 - SS Raffaello

7. 1969 - Angelina Lauro

8. 1968 - Incres MS Victoria

9. 1982 - Holland America Line

10. 1976 - Sitmar *Fairsea & Fairwind*

11. 1970's - Federico C

12. 1955 - Grace Lines

13. Somewhere between 1960 - 1963 - Matson Lines

14. 1959 - Home Line's SS Homeric

15. 1960's - Gdynia America Line - Polish Lines

16. Somewhere between 1965 - 1969 - TN Michelangelo

17. Somewhere between 1965 - 1969 - TN Michelangelo (have 2 different records for this ship, see above album)

18. Somewhere between 1951 - 1961 - Incres Line's SS Nassau

Edited by norboy76
updated info
  • Like 2

Somewhere in my archives, I have a 45 rpm record made on the  Queen Elizabeth when a recording was made of the conversation on the Bridge at the end of a voyage.  At the very end, one can hear the Captain saying "Finished with the engines".  I am almost sure that I bought it on the Queen Elizabeth when she was a "tourist attraction" in Fort Lauderdale for awhile.  Was the end of that voyage her last commercial voyage?  Don't remember, but, it's possible.  

I also have a recording that I bought on Home Lines' Oceanic:  Romy Formica and The Favolosi.  This was the group that played in the Italian Hall, a large lounge at the very front of the ship.  The year was 1973.  The cover of that album has a nice picture of the Oceanic.  

• Like 1

Couple of nice menus from the 1960's. One for the SS Oronsay and one for the SS Canberra. Also a really neat anchor ashtray for the SS Orcades.  Look at the wine prices, compared to wine prices now on cruise ships. I have more ashtrays to show if anyone is interested. 

1966_ss_oronsay_menu_by_wildelf34_d9jud85-fullview.jpg

1965_ss_canberra_menu_by_wildelf34_d9judf1-fullview.jpg

dcsnj0i-f7b7b55c-5420-439f-8be0-54e38b054b8b.jpg

• Like 1

For those that like Princess Cruises, I got a couple of nice postcards and an Inaugural Gift for the 1995 Sun Princess. Postcards for the Princess Italia (Postmarked 1971 on the back), Fair Princess (1988 - 1997), Pacific Princess (Postmarked 1975 on the back). And a nice cookbook for Crystal Cruises, I found at a local thrift store. 

*the last photo is close up of the plaque on the Sun Princess Inaugural Gift

1975 Pacific Princess Postcard.jpg

Crystal Cruises Cookbook.jpg

Fair Princess Postcard.jpg

Princess Italia Postcard.jpg

Sun Princess Inaugural Gift.jpg

Sun Princess Gift Badge.jpg

• Like 2

Got a couple of nice really old toys from ships. One is a 1940 wheeled toy of the SS Normandie by a company called *TootsieToys*, still has the masts and original paint on it too and sits on wheels so can push it to move it. Have a nice American President Line's Truck and a truck for Hapag-Lloyd. 

tootsietoy_normandie_by_wildelf34_dds99tg-fullview.jpg

american_president_line_toy_by_wildelf34_dbt3c1j-fullview.jpg

hapag_lloyd_toy_truck_by_wildelf34_dbt3asq-fullview.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/5/2022 at 3:16 PM, rkacruiser said:

Somewhere in my archives, I have a 45 rpm record made on the  Queen Elizabeth when a recording was made of the conversation on the Bridge at the end of a voyage.  At the very end, one can hear the Captain saying "Finished with the engines".  I am almost sure that I bought it on the Queen Elizabeth when she was a "tourist attraction" in Fort Lauderdale for awhile.  Was the end of that voyage her last commercial voyage?  Don't remember, but, it's possible.  

Have you ever seen those toys before anywhere? I found one of these at a thrift store, the other 2, I got from a friend. 

Edited by norboy76

19 hours ago, norboy76 said:

Have you ever seen those toys before anywhere? I found one of these at a thrift store, the other 2, I got from a friend. 

The toy Normandie, no.  I have never seen that.  Toy trucks like yours, unsure, but, my two Nephews may have had something like those when they were very young.  

• 1 month later...

Wondered if anyone cruised or sailed on the S.S. France? I have some really nice souvenirs an just recently got my hands on a really nice Loving Cop/Trophy from her.  See Images of items, including the trophy (2 photos of it)/ 

SS France Loving Cup.jpg

SS France Cup Engravement.jpg

de1dcyl-eb1d12c5-a1a6-4573-86f0-c0129273a14d.jpg

ss_france_playing_cards_by_wildelf34_db4xobg-fullview.jpg

french_line_france_menus_by_wildelf34_ddck7wt-fullview.jpg

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We sailed on her when she was Norway.  Beautiful ship!

I have items too from her as the Norway, a nice spoon, postcards, playing cards, keychains, a model as sold on board the gift shop, a nice souvenir towel with a picture of her on it, and a nice framed art print sold on board during the norwegian caribbean line era and a souvenir wine glass. I'll include the photos of my nice souvenirs from her.  (Seems I don't have photos of all the items I mentioned, but here's some I took. 

framed_ss_norway_print_by_wildelf34_dbrg2mx-fullview.jpg

d9wqrx7-b57ef314-153b-4dbe-83f6-ad37a995a6b1.jpg

ss_norway_keychains_by_wildelf34_d9pl80v-fullview.jpg

ss_norway_towel_by_wildelf34_d9z4ols-fullview.jpg

dba8i5f-964d825e-bfd6-4634-8ac8-4bc42e958812.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2022 at 10:25 PM, norboy76 said:

Wondered if anyone cruised or sailed on the S.S. France?

On 4/24/2022 at 6:40 AM, shipgeeks said:

We sailed on her when she was Norway.  Beautiful ship!

Never sailed on S. S. France or Norway, but, agree that the France was a beautiful ship.  My family visited her in New York prior to a Midnight trans-Atlantic sailing.  I made a point of getting us to visit both Dining Rooms as well as the Tourist Class indoor pool.  The decor/ceiling of the First Class Dining Room was magnificent.  Modern, yet, understated and refined.  I bought something from a staff member in the First Class Library, but, don't recall what it was and no longer have it.  Deck of cards?  Postcards?  Most likely as a poor college student at the time.