NCL Sun Vs. NCL Sprit

bdaddyiii

My DW and I started our cruising history with a cruise on the NCL Sprit which we both loved. We find ourself comparing every other ship we sail on to the Sprit which we both fell in love with. We are sailing on the NCL Sun in 57 days. Can anyone give us a report on the Sun and how she compares to the Sprit. I have been looking for information on the Sun posted on the boards, however, I can find anything on the Sun either positive or negative. Any infomtion would be appreciated. Happy Sailing all.:confused:

It is sorta like the difference between the Fascination and the Triumph in your post. The Spirit has a larger feel to it and much more decorative. The buffet area on the Sun gets a bit crowded due to its design. One of the for pay restaurants is hard to find on the Sun because you have to go down a stairwell.

Still a beautiful ship though.

Dave

We were on the Sun Jan 2006, on the Spirit May 2011, so my comparison may be dated, But, two completely different experiences. We prefer the Spirit, it was just great for us. The Sun we thought had a somewhat strange layout, we did not like the buffet set up, it may have changed since 2006. (you had to go outside on the pool deck to access it, and weather was not always great on this cruise) We had a beautiful mini-suite forward (back then you had priority boarding for that category which was very nice but that I think has gone by the wayside) but due to wind being in front we were not able to enjoy it very much. Had an an AFT suite on the Spirit and LOVED it. I would not prefer to go on the Sun again if I could choose another Ship, but if the price and departure and itinerary was what I wanted would consider sailing her once again.

Thanks jetskier and NW Pacific for your views. My DW and I are always looking for a deal and a new ship to sail since we live here in Florida wee have not reason not to. We always try to be open minded when we board, but I just thought it was funny how everyone was comparing other ships but the Sun was not mentioned. I was starting to get concerned that she may be a really bad ship. So I wanted to ask the question. Really looking to boarding her and finding out first hand. :rolleyes:

I like the Sun very much. As someone said however, her overall layout is different from the other ships I've been on. The Sun does have balcony rooms that are larger than others due to the design of the bathroom, which is smaller, but very functional. The Sun's actual balconies are bigger (deeper). The Sun has a Great Outdoors eating area similar to the Pearl. I like the Sun and the Spirit both just fine...in fact have a Sun cruise already scheduled. Many pics of the Sun at the following.

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff281/roganderson60/Sun/?start=all

My DW and I started our cruising history with a cruise on the NCL Sprit which we both loved. We find ourself comparing every other ship we sail on to the Sprit which we both fell in love with. We are sailing on the NCL Sun in 57 days. Can anyone give us a report on the Sun and how she compares to the Sprit. I have been looking for information on the Sun posted on the boards, however, I can find anything on the Sun either positive or negative. Any infomtion would be appreciated. Happy Sailing all.:confused:

I have sailed on both ships, and quite frankly, and other than physical dimensions and passenger load, I'd be hard pressed to find many good or bad differences between the two.

The Sun is a larger ship (78,309 tons), that carries fewer passengers (1,936 passengers). Spirit's dimensions are 75,338 tons, with 2,018 passengers. These differences are so small as to be negligible.

The Sun has a Churrascaria and a Tapas bar, which the Spirit does not - although she may have these after she goes through her drydock soon. Sun has just had her drydock & rebuild.

Both have a steak house, an Italian, a Teppanyaki, and an Asian restaurant. The Sun's buffet is (as other's have mentioned), a more crowded, less efficient design.

Sun has two pools, Spirit has one. But the Spirit has a much larger and more elaborate Kid's pool area at the stern of the ship.

Spirit has fewer forward facing suites, but she has a nice set of graduated, shady public balconies at the stern, overlooking the kid's pool. There are a few other physical differences, and some difference in decor (I don't recall that the Sun had as much of an Asian theme as the Spirit - but that makes sense, the Spirit was originally built for the Asian market).

I think the fact that there's so few differences comes down to the NCL experience. It's about the same on almost all ships in NCL's fleet, excluding perhaps the Epic.

You should have a fine cruise, and a wonderful time on the Sun.

We sailed on the Sun in January and loved her. She is smaller but very pretty and well kept. The main buffet can get crowded as someone else mentioned but there is always the one on the aft called Great Outdoors if one is too crowded. There are also tables just outside the main buffet door. If we had breakfast at the buffet we always ate outside. We were on just before the drydock so Moderno wasn't there but I've only heard good things about it. I think you will like her.

I am a little confused that you say you can't find any postings about Sun. Have you used the search feature...it can provide you with lots of information. Also, you can check out the member reviews.

As other posters have said, Sun is a great ship, a little old, a little worn but as you can see below, one that DDP and I like a lot - we will be aboard two weeks before you for the fourth time!

the Suns cabins (inside) are larger than the Spirits and the Spirit doesnt have fridges.

i like the SUN but LOVE the decor on the Spirit!

like that the SUN has the Great Outdoors altho the Spirit had Blue Lagoon, Sun didnt (Sports Bar) instead.

i cant remember the Spirit buffet i guess 3 years is to long:(

there was only a few times the SUNs was crowded we enjoyed eating out at the Great Outdoors instead.

now i NEED to cruise on the Spirit again so i can refresh my memory of how it was.....only she will be changing soon with the dry-dock.

for me the biggest deal was figuring out on the SUN that you always had to go thru places to get to other places once i figured that out...it was EASY to get around--i had 2 weeks to learn last year!

Thanks again everyone for your information. It was helpful. Any if I have confused you for asking a question regarding something that I was haveing difficulty finding I am sorry. We are not all computer goru's and sometimes we ask questions to get assistance. I did try the search feature but was not able to find the information I was looking in regards to the Sun. However, now that I have asked all these really nice posts i received to gather information i have the information I was looking for. Therefore, again i really am really thankful for all the nice and helpful information provided to include those pictures, and am sorry to have confused you.:o

Thanks again everyone for your information. It was helpful. Any if I have confused you for asking a question regarding something that I was haveing difficulty finding I am sorry. We are not all computer goru's and sometimes we ask questions to get assistance. I did try the search feature but was not able to find the information I was looking in regards to the Sun. However, now that I have asked all these really nice posts i received to gather information i have the information I was looking for. Therefore, again i really am really thankful for all the nice and helpful information provided to include those pictures, and am sorry to have confused you.:o

Didn't mean to come across snarly! Glad you found what you needed and hope you have a great time on Sun.....we will try to leave it in good shape for you!

Good morning! We're also on the Oct 15th sailing (rm 8251). Can't wait! I've been on the Sun before, back in 2006. I liked her quite a bit, I recall especially enjoying the Great Outdoors area and the tapas bar. I'm looking forward to seeing how the ship has improved since then what with the recent dry dock and all.

Archived