Sales Tax?!?!?!?

CaroleSS

We are leaving soon so I decided to purchase the $100 beverage card (on HAL's web site it sells for $90) I thought it was a good deal as I would save $10 by purchaing the card instead of putting it on my onboard spending account.

The charged me $7.99 in sales tax!!! How can you charge sales tax on buying money?? After the sales tas, my savings was all of $2!

What's the point of selling these cards at a supposid savings if you tack on sales tax and there is no savings at all??? <fuming>

We are leaving soon so I decided to purchase the $100 beverage card (on HAL's web site it sells for $90) I thought it was a good deal as I would save $10 by purchasing the card instead of putting it on my onboard spending account.

The charged me $7.99 in sales tax!!! How can you charge sales tax on buying money?? After the sales tas, my savings was all of $2!

What's the point of selling these cards at a supposid savings if you tack on sales tax and there is no savings at all??? <fuming>

We are leaving soon so I decided to purchase the $100 beverage card (on HAL's web site it sells for $90) I thought it was a good deal as I would save $10 by purchaing the card instead of putting it on my onboard spending account.

You ordered your beverage card for delivery in the cabin. In certain ports they have to charge sales tax (there is a spot of info where they do tell you). There is no sales tax if you order it to be delivered at sea.

So, go back in and cancel this order - you will be refunded.

Then re-order it with delivery at sea. No sales tax. It will be still be in your room when you arrive or shortly after. No worries:)

Hope this makes sense. If you can't cancel online = call ship board services.:)

This is not something that HAL has any control over. I'm sorry that you haven't spent more time reading or asking on this forum, or you would have known that by requesting delivery "at sea" the card would have been in your cabin upon boarding anyway, and you would not have been charged sales tax.

BTW, unless you're positive that will use up every bit of the card, it is better to buy two $50 cards than one $100. You will get a refund on any unused balance up to the purcahse price. If you use $90 on a $100 card you get nothing back. If you use up one full $50 card and $40 on a second one you get back $5.

Mary Ellen reported the other day about the tax -- Florida.

Florida charges tax on anything that relates to alcohol -- one Florida port it is 6% -- Ft Lauderdale. I think Tampa is 7%.

This goes for drinks you buy when you get on the ship and are still docked. When we stopped in Key West I think they added on 7 1/2% tax.

Washington state also does this. Maybe New York??

Cancel the card -- wait until the ship is about 10 - 12 miles out to sea and buy one then.

We are leaving soon so I decided to purchase the $100 beverage card (on HAL's web site it sells for $90) I thought it was a good deal as I would save $10 by purchasing the card instead of putting it on my onboard spending account.

I share your frustration on paying sales tax for a service or item that'll be used on a cruise but state laws require that HAL, or any other cruise line, charge sales tax. Might add that you didn't "buy money" but actually a product in the form of a beverage card, no different than ordering flowers or any other tangible item or service. If you'd deposited strictly a generic cash credit for use on the cruise then I don't think you'd been charged sales tax but I might be wrong on that or it might differ from state to state.

You actually started two threads with the same title. I answered your other thread and if you go there you will see an explanation and I gave you some advice on the other one how to 'fix' your problem. ;)

Correction to what KK posted about my purchases - sales tax on all items appeared when I selected delivery to cabin while in FLL. None of these involved alcohol. It was easy enough for me to change the order to delivery at sea. My order immediately showed the sales tax removed. I then proceeded to place the order. I'm not fuming. ;)

States are doing everything they can to get tax revenue. I can't blame HAL more than any other merchant in Florida. I don't expect to fume when we're charged sales tax when the bill arrives for dinner the night before boarding.

You need to request Delivery at Sea.

Correction to what KK posted about my purchases - sales tax on all items appeared when I selected delivery to cabin while in FLL. None of these involved alcohol. It was easy enough for me to change the order to delivery at sea. My order immediately showed the sales tax removed. I then proceeded to place the order. I'm not fuming. ;)

States are doing everything they can to get tax revenue. I can't blame HAL more than any other merchant in Florida. I don't expect to fume when we're charged sales tax when the bill arrives for dinner the night before boarding.

Even for dinner that you pre-booked??

We were told by a wine steward while still in Seattle that they are supposed to charge sales tax while at the dock in Seattle. Has anyone else been told this or charged sales tax for beverage there?

Yes -- we went to the Ocean Bar to have a drink and pick up some Beverage Cards. Wish I could remember how much the sales tax was -- but we were charged a sales tax on the drinks. The bar server told us to wait a few hours to buy the Beverage Cards so that we would n ot have to pay tax on them.

I share your frustration on paying sales tax for a service or item that'll be used on a cruise but state laws require that HAL, or any other cruise line, charge sales tax. Might add that you didn't "buy money" but actually a product in the form of a beverage card, no different than ordering flowers or any other tangible item or service. If you'd deposited strictly a generic cash credit for use on the cruise then I don't think you'd been charged sales tax but I might be wrong on that or it might differ from state to state.

I can see where sales tax would be charged on the old beverage cards when you were actually pre paying for a product, but the new cards are essentially a pre-loaded debit card when you get aboard,so there should not be any tax there.

Have all prior purchases to be delivered "at sea" then you won't incur state sales tax. Even though you mark at sea your card may be waiting for you in your room. So far King Neptune hasn't instituted a sales tax for things at sea - but don't hold your breath - it still might happen!

I can see where sales tax would be charged on the old beverage cards when you were actually pre paying for a product, but the new cards are essentially a pre-loaded debit card when you get aboard,so there should not be any tax there.
You think that. I think that. Apparently the state of Florida doesn't agree with us. One of items I was initially charged sales tax on was a soda card.

Actually, I probably would have been double taxed. Not only would I have been charged tax on the card, I'm sure I would have also been charged tax on any drinks bought with the card while still in Florida waters.

You think that. I think that. Apparently the state of Florida doesn't agree with us. One of items I was initially charged sales tax on was a soda card.

Actually, I probably would have been double taxed. Not only would I have been charged tax on the card, I'm sure I would have also been charged tax on any drinks bought with the card while still in Florida waters.

Strange quirk--I will have to remember to always take the delivery at sea option.

We don't have a HAL cruise booked so I don't have access to the area where you can pre-pay for services, excursions, etc. What is the exact language now for what at least once was the beverage/soda card? Might also ask do some states charge sales tax for even pre-loaded debit/charge cards? If so that sounds like double taxation but then again states don't always worry about those kind of technicalities. :rolleyes::)

Archived