Unpleasant Experience in the Windjammer on Enchantment

I hate to burst your bubble, BMT, but Cunard is owned by CARNIVAL (you know, the Fun Ship line) and Celebrity is owned by RCI (same corporate office as RCCL).

Don't expect the bad behavior to be handled that much differently.

a)if RCCL gets enough complaints about lack of civility on their cruises, and the lack of any

action taken by the staff, they will see that they are antagonizing the majority of their

cruisers.

b)regarding Cunard.....I haven't found them stuffy, but I can tell you that that sort of

behavior, and inappropriate attire is nipped in the bud. I have seen people turned away

from the MDR for what was deemed too casual clothing....more than once. Sailing on

a Cunard ship is a lovely glimpse into what shipboard life can be.

Can I ask why you didn't move tables ?

Please don't mis interpret my question as meaning I condone this guys behavior

I just think that moving would of been a better option

In hindsight, my wife and I said maybe we should have just moved. But my nature does not take kindly to being intimidated into giving in.

Furthermore, what bothered me was the suggestion by staff that me moving was the solution to the problem.

Fair enough

I guess you could of also found a ship phone and dialed security yourself

I'm sure if security was contacted directly from a customer they would at least attend ASAP if only just to see what's going on

Yeh no way should someone that drunk be in a family setting

I don't know what I would of done, I guess you have to be there

People in general don't disrespect me because I'm big and bald ;)

Wow, what a nasty experience. The drunk was using terminology that was asked in the Love and Marriage Show (this gives him no excuse) and certainly should not have vocalized what many in the audience probably envisioned.

I totally agree that you are not the one that needed to move AND that the staff should have come to your aid. Had I been the one being insulted I hope that I would have gone straight to the Guest Services desk and demanded to speak to an OFFICER and unless satisfied continued up the chain of command. (Unfortunately, with my personality I would have come right back at the drunk and escalated the situation....kudos to you for remaining calm.)

Having too much to drink on a cruise is one thing however vulgarity, crudeness, and antagonism must never be tolerated by any line.

In any situation like this, the first thing to do is have security handle it.

Absolutely! An out-of-control drunk who is suffering from diarrhrea of the mouth in a public place, is just a recipe for disaster. Either the manager or security (or both) should have been summoned by the waitstaff to the offending party's table, immediately. :eek:

In hindsight, my wife and I said maybe we should have just moved. But my nature does not take kindly to being intimidated into giving in.

Furthermore, what bothered me was the suggestion by staff that me moving was the solution to the problem.

We're on the same page -- I wouldn't want to have to move because that that drunken jerk, either. Sounds like he would have noticed you moving, and heckled you for that too. :mad:

Glad to hear that you have contacted RC about the problem -- if you don't tell them about stuff like this, they can't do anything about it. I think the WJ manager really dropped the ball -- by not responding to the situation at the time, and not getting back to you in a timely manner, afterwards. Hope that your cruise was good, aside from this incident. :cool:

I am sorry to hear about the poor behavior of a passenger. I am so glad that I did not experience any poor behavior situations. The cruise was awesome and one of the best vacations I have had.

The Woodpecker/Superman comments came from the Love and Marriage Game but were definitely used out of context. I agree that Security should have been called and the person removed to a different place, not the guests!

I was a bit disappointed in the Meet Up from Cruise Critic! There were no introductions and no one had name tags on so mingling and meeting people I have been reading on this board were non existent! We came right at 12:30 and things were already in action - we finally got drinks after the fact and missed out on any food that had been put out. Why was it not organized?

All in all- the cruise to New England and Canada was fantastic!!

We're on the same page -- I wouldn't want to have to move because that that drunken jerk, either. Sounds like he would have noticed you moving, and heckled you for that too. :mad:

Sometimes, moving away from a situation is the best course of action for someone. There is absolutely no way DH and I would have sat there and listened to him while hoping someone else would intervene. Getting up and moving is perfectly acceptable given a situation such as this. And to be "heckled" for moving? The least of my concern. It wouldn't be us who looked foolish to others. :) ;)

Sometimes, moving away from a situation is the best course of action for someone. There is absolutely no way DH and I would have sat there and listened to him while hoping someone else would intervene. Getting up and moving is perfectly acceptable given a situation such as this. And to be "heckled" for moving? The least of my concern. It wouldn't be us who looked foolish to others. :) ;)

I agree that sometimes it is better to back-off. Highway Patrol Officers always recommend drivers to slow down and/or change lanes to keep a distance from aggressive drivers to prevent road rage. How many times have we seen physical and/or deathly violence in road rage instances. I would have left the Windjammer and immediately gone to guest services and have them call Security. Passengers can be removed from the ship at the next port and the passengers foot their own bill to return home.

Can I ask why you didn't move tables ?

Please don't mis interpret my question as meaning I condone this guys behavior

I just think that moving would of been a better option

In war, no one wins

I would not have moved. I would have called security immediately.

And in the case of the dining room jerk who made others uncomfortable, I would PERSONALLY have handled it by calling security.

I'm sorry, but I don't just "get uncomfortable." I may be a 72-year-old woman, but I believe in taking action!!!

Kathy

I would not have moved. I would have called security immediately.

And in the case of the dining room jerk who made others uncomfortable, I would PERSONALLY have handled it by calling security.

I'm sorry, but I don't just "get uncomfortable." I may be a 72-year-old woman, but I believe in taking action!!!

Kathy

You go, girl!

One of the staff should have immediately called Security when they saw what was happening. To think that they would not have come to the aid of a female staff member is just disgusting. They have a code for Security to alert them whereas the passenger calling may not have achieved the same result.

No matter what is drilled into the staff head about pushing drinks, behavior of this type should never be allowed. Who knows how far it would have escaled if more passengers got involved or tried to take the offender down! It might have resulted in a free for all.

RCL is dead wrong in this case because staff did not address the passengers who caused the problem. First of all, if someone is that drunk it is the cruise line's fault for allowing them to drink pass their limit. Other passengers do not need to be subjected to rude, crude and obnoxious behavior. I would have reported the staff and kicked it up the chain of command and not waited for them to get back to me.

Someone could have been hurt if punches were thrown. This behavior should not be tolerated no matter who the passenger was. The fact that the staff chose not to call Security shows there is a real problem with how far RCL will go for $$$$$.

MARAPRINCE

I agree that sometimes it is better to back-off.... I would have left the Windjammer and immediately gone to guest services and have them call Security. Passengers can be removed from the ship at the next port and the passengers foot their own bill to return home.

There you go. Exactly what needed to be done and no passengers get involved. There are security officers all over the ship.... err... except in Windjammer at this moment, obviously.

Well, I certainly would try to avoid sitting next to a jerk like this, if his party was already seated, and I was searching for a table in the WJ. I would also be quick to move if I felt the situation was becoming dangerous. You are right, Langley, that moving (as far away as possible) is a perfectly acceptable solution -- but it still would have stuck in my craw, so to speak! ;)

I still feel that it was ultimately the WJ Manager's problem to handle, not the patrons'. Don't know if you ever had the pleasure of sailing on Radiance when Chantal (Captain Trym's wife) was the WJ Manager. Trust me -- she would have dealt with a situation like this very quickly and effectively! :cool:

Switching tables is probably the right thing to do since drunken idiots can't be reasoned with. However, if the Op is anything like me, they are "A" personality and we stand our ground. Wrong or right is debatable, but I think the responsibility of handling this fell on the crew and it sounds as though they failed.

Switching tables is probably the right thing to do since drunken idiots can't be reasoned with. However, if the Op is anything like me, they are "A" personality and we stand our ground. Wrong or right is debatable, but I think the responsibility of handling this fell on the crew and it sounds as though they failed.

Excuse the pun but, they failed Royally!

Just couldn't resist this one.

You are so right. Whether or not you changed tables, they didn't report the problem or call Security. They chose not to address the bad behavior of not only a passenger but one of their own. That really sticks with me. Some co-workers to allow a female staff member to be verbally abused and no male staff members thought to do anything? What's wrong with this picture?

MARAPRINCE

Wow, that was indeed handled poorly. Glad it did not ruin your cruise. I bet there were some after action things said to that manager and security. However may be they did not want to make a scene in front of everyone and preferred to do it at his room. That being said, it was just too long for any action.

I think the issue is that things like this can escalate before we know it. These days, because there seem to be so many drug affected people around, I am for avoiding rather than staying put. Recently a woman in her forties was killed because she chased after 14 year olds who were egging her house. Just not worth it, she should have called the police.

Once more than one person was offended then security should have been called. I think to have called security initially may have escalated it; but obviously it went past that.

of course, with so many people on board, things don't always go well, but it is a sign of great management as to how well they deal with these situations. They did not deal with this at all well.

I know how these things leave a bad taste in your mouth but hope that you get some satisfaction from them now.

As I recall, every RCI ship has a wall phone somewhere nearby outside the Windjammers.

I would have changed tables first and then walked out and called security.

I would have done the same. Nobody should have to put with this sort of behaviour anywhere,it is unacceptable.

Mary

Archived