Royal Points and Travel Agent Question

On my last cruise I booked a JS on my next cruise (FOS). I did not assign a travel agent at that point as I wanted to talk with several before I decided. One of the travel agents I called is a premier RCI travel agent and is also listed as a recommended agent on these boards.

When I called the travel agent recommended on Cruise Critic, I was offered a $500 OBC to transfer my cruise based on my reservation of a JS with the understanding I was also going to use Royal Points for the free 7 night cruise (125,000 points). When I prepared to transfer the reservation the travel agent and I discussed the particulars again. At this point they mentioned that due to the Royal points reward the OBC was now $275. They explained that they lose the commission from the certificate.

I guess I have split views on this. Part of me thinks the travel agent probably is telling the truth about the commission and part of me does not. Does anyone know for sure?:confused:

In almost all instances, any discount certificates, coupons, etc. that reduce the base cruise fare (i.e. the commissionable portion), will also reduce the agent's commissions. Think of it this way --- if you pay less in the form of "cash" for the cruise, the agent's commission is reduced.

They are probably telling the truth. We found out AFTER transferring to oa TA that they would offer no perks (prepaid tips, specialty dinner) as after using our B of A certifcate in addition to our Diamond discount the price that we were paying was too low for their offers. We had a hard time getting it switched back to RCL. Good luck. $275 sounds pretty good . Get it in writing!!!

When we booked a cruise with 125K BOA points I asked my TA if she wanted to handle it or should I book direct with RCCL. She said she would do it do to the amount of business we give her but RCCL doesn't pay a commission on these certificates.

I book directly with RCCL as I do not expect anyone to do something for me without being compensated.

Thanks for the posts. Like I indicated part of me believed the TA was telling the truth. It makes sense that the cruise line would not pay a commission on the certificate but it was odd that the story changed from when I first inquired to when I was ready to transfer booking. It was likely an honest mistake but since I have never used this TA before I wanted to make sure.

Id read in the past if you use just part of the points that they did not affect the commission .. but if you were booking a free berth, then they did.

This was 2 years ago when RCL boards said just using them for a discount didnt affect the commission.

Archived