Minor Consent/Waiver Question:

marsalilass

We're taking my 14 year old sister with us to Alaska on Norweigian (we leave Saturday) . . . my step-mother signed the waiver, but it says it requires both parent's signatures on the document. Our father is deceased so my sister doesn't have another guardian to sign :-( Do you think it will be a big deal?

Yes, you could have a problem.

Who has custody of your sister? It's not clear where birth mom is from your post. If her birth mom has custody, she needs to sign. If she's out-of-the picture and stepmom had legal and physical custody, you'll need to bring your dad's death certificate along with the notarized permission to travel letter.

I agree that you should bring all the documentation possible, just in case. That said, you may not even need it. I took my kids on a cruise to Alaska a few weeks ago, and went through all the hassle of getting consent forms from their father... and then was never once asked to show them. I'm still glad I had them, just in case, and was actually a little disappointed that nobody even asked for them!

Thanks all :-) I called and they said it wasn't going to be an issue, but I'm going to see if my step-mom can fax me dad's death certificate anyway. Just in case.

In all honesty, there is such an age difference between myself and my sister, that I could be her mother. I'm not even sure they'll ask for the form! lol - No one has ever questioned when we've taken her places before . . . considering she's also the spitting image of me and we have the same last name. Though we've never taken her on a cruise before either and I don't want to get stuck unable to board!

Thanks all :-) I called and they said it wasn't going to be an issue, but I'm going to see if my step-mom can fax me dad's death certificate anyway. Just in case.

In all honesty, there is such an age difference between myself and my sister, that I could be her mother. I'm not even sure they'll ask for the form! lol - No one has ever questioned when we've taken her places before . . . considering she's also the spitting image of me and we have the same last name. Though we've never taken her on a cruise before either and I don't want to get stuck unable to board!

I'm going to be blunt here. It doesn't matter at all what they (cruise line representative?) said. Not one tiny little bit! It's not the cruise line regulations, it's child custody and parental abduction laws in many (not all) countries. This includes the US and members here have reported that the only place they had an issue was trying to get back into the US at the end of a cruise.

This is the bottom line: The immigration or equivalent officers of every country you visit can require you to prove that you have the legal consent of all parents or legal guardians of your sister. While it is true that most of the time the agents do not require passengers to show the documents, the only thing that matters is that they can. And if they do and you don't have it, you and your sister could be denied boarding, no recourse and no refund because the cruise line will point you to their "It's up to passengers to have all documentation that might be required" clause--even if it was their rep who told you "Don't worry about it."

IMO, it is irresponsible to tell you otherwise. Sometimes members will post things like, "Well, I've done it X number of times and no one has required the documents, so you don't need them." That is wrong. The same person could very well be required to provide them on their X+1 cruise.

In your case, you need the permission letter from your step-mom (which you obviously have already), a copy of your dad's death certificate, and your sister's official (not hospital issued) birth certificate. Since she is younger than 16, she does not need a photo ID. You will also need a letter authorizing you to seek medical treatment if (God forbid) your sister needs it.

What a sweet thing to do with your sister. Have a wonderful time.

beachchick

Archived