Anytime dining in MDR on RCL? Missing the boat?

Philly Ken

I'm signed up with my family for the Oasis in Nov. '12 and I'm very excited about the cruise and the boat, but, I'm a bit frustrated with the main dining room options. We've previously cruised on Princess and I'm a big fan of their 'Anytime Dining' option. Just show up and get a table within 10 minutes. I'm seeing that we need reservations on the Oasis. I have no idea what I'm going to be doing in the afternoons, I hate to end a fun time at the pool to get showered for dinner. I'm on vacation, I want to do things on my time, not a pre-set schedule. Any talk about RCL changing to a system like Princess, getting away from set times for dinner and the need for reservations? What if I show up for my reservation 30 min or an hour late? Additionally, I like what NCL is doing if I'm reading this right where they no longer have formal nights. I'm on vacation I want to wear shorts and be casual, not have to bring a tux get dressed up. Ideas, thoughts?

The big difference between Princess and Royal Caribbean is their approach to the dining experience. Princess sets a limited number of seats for Traditional dining, and all others must take Anytime; Royal sets a limited number of seats for My Time, and all others must take Traditional.

Reservations are recommended but not required for MTD. Some ships push reservations a lot harder than others. You may not, however, get a table within 10 minutes if you just show up, especially if you have a party of more than 4 people. There are only so many seats in that dining room, and if they're all full, they're not going to hurry someone else along so you can be seated within 10 minutes. If everyone with MTD decides they want to eat at 7:30, some people are going to be disappointed - and it won't be the people with reservations.

If you have reservations and show up significantly late, you will probably end up being treated the same as someone who just walked up. And you've denied other people who wanted to eat at the time you booked the opportunity to do so.

I had MTD on my transatlantic cruise (not on Oasis, but on Jewel, a smaller ship); the only night we made reservations was when we wanted to dine with a group of friends and needed a table for 6 or 8.

If you really want the "no formal night" experience, I respectfully suggest that you patronize a cruise line that offers it. Some of us like to dress up and be surrounded by people who do likewise, so it's nice to have a few cruise lines that still do offer the formal night experience.

The Oasis is spectacular! You're going to have a wonderful time. Don't sweat the eating options. There are plenty of choices beyond the main dining room and those "extra-charge" restaurants. Be sure to make all of your entertainment reservations when you can. You don't want to miss anything!

Hi Ken - I just got off the Oasis. A couple of notes.

1. We had Anytime Dining, ate in the MDR ONE night. Just showed up and walked in. BUT - it was pretty early - 6ish maybe. There was a line when we left an hour or so later. However, we had the worst food and worst service I have ever had on ANY cruise ship. We skipped the MDR the rest of the trip - was abysmal. ALL other nights we ate in Specialty Restaurants. Sometimes we had reservations and other times not.

2. Solarium Bistro - never crowded, free for bkfast and lunch. Dinner was pretty good here. The first two nights of our cruise, this was half-off. So instead of $20, it was $10 per person. This was a VERY good 1st night option.

3. Johnny Rockets - THE worst place to eat on the ship. Seriously, I don't know why RCCL bothers. AWFUL!

4. Chops - over the moon, excellent!

5. Giovanni's - better than decent but not exceptional. What is so lovely is the setting. We ate outside, enjoyed the Park and evening/dinner by candlelight, was nice.

6. Izumis - very, very good. $5 per person cover and then a la carte. Ate here for about $35 for three people. Was pretty good. Great view, good service.

7. Windjammer food was better than the MDR on Oasis And this was a first for me on RCCL. In the past, I have found the Windjammer in general to be pretty bad. Been on every class of RCCL this year. Radiance was by far the best, The Nav and Freedom and Oasis MDR food was positively awful. On ALL ships except the Radiance.

8. Park Cafe!!!!!! Do not miss it! Ate breakfast and lunch there almost everyday, was perfect.

9. Burgers were better/fresher in Wipeout Cafe by the pool than the Windjammer.

Hope some of that helps. I realize you didn't really ask about specialty restaurants but wanted to share this with you since you were sweating the MDR details. I wouldn't sweat it myself, I'd eat somewhere else.

ALSO - if you are on anytime dining on the Oasis, they put you on Deck 5 with NO WINDOWS!!! No view of the sea. And you have no other option. This is completely lame. Our best meal with a view was Izumi and the Windjammer was pretty nice actually.

Good Luck!

We feel the OP pain, but also think it is entirely their own fault. When you book a cruise line (and ship) you are subject to the policies of that cruise line. It is incumbant on any traveler to look at those policies before booking and make your decsion accordingly. We are Diamond on RCI but have chosen to no longer book that cruise line (and we cruise about 10 weeks a year) for many reasons related to their policies and quality. In a sense you get to vote on the policies with your pocketbook.

Hank

P.S. The Oasis is not a boat! It is a ship. Those things hanging on the sides of the Oasis (some call them Life Boats) are boats.

You know, you don't HAVE to eat in the MDR for dinner at night. There's the buffet, grill, room service, etc.

And as far as NCL and shorts at dinner, there are a few places you cannot wear short. We like NCL very much, but we like Celebrity an equal amount. When on NCL, we do skip the 100% optional dress up nights. When on Celebrity, we participate. We do prefer the MDR over the buffets, not to mention, X doesn't have an evening buffet... When in Rome.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always ate in MDR, however would like to try MTD.

Like one of the OP I wanted to get ready and just show up, but I thought I was still required to make a "reservation."

Also is service the same since all gratuites (including cabin steward???)are paid in advance?

Thanks for any information regarding this new to me dining experience on Royal Caribbean.

Although you will get tons of emails encouraging you to make reservations, you do NOT have to! We were on the Allure in July and just went to the dining room when we were ready for dinner. One evening we did wait about 10 mins - but I don't think that is too long a wait.

Service is not impacted by the prepaid gratuities but rather by the waiter you get. The first night the waiter served us way too fast - we felt so rushed. But then we got a waiter who called us by our names as we were seated and ensured we had a wonderful experience in the dining room.

So, bottom line, don't make reservations for a set time unless you want to. And, if you get a waiter you do not like one night, make sure they don't seat you in that same section again.

Enjoy your cruise!

Marianne

If you really want the "no formal night" experience, I respectfully suggest that you patronize a cruise line that offers it. Some of us like to dress up and be surrounded by people who do likewise, so it's nice to have a few cruise lines that still do offer the formal night experience.

Am I the only one who is seeing arrogance here?

I'm signed up with my family for the Oasis in Nov. '12 and I'm very excited about the cruise and the boat, but, I'm a bit frustrated with the main dining room options....I'm on vacation I want to wear shorts and be casual, not have to bring a tux get dressed up. Ideas, thoughts?

You signed on to the wrong ship! Really, if you don't like the dining options why did you book there?

This topic usually comes up in "dress code" threads where people who don't like the customs on a particular ship want to change them rather than sign on with a cruise line whose practices better suit (no pun intended) their preferences. They do a diservice to those who sign on because they like the customs and atmosphere of that particular ship.

What ideas and thoughts do you want here? A CC member campaign to petition for a change to casual wear? Sorry, but if you signed on when these dining options were already in place it is nobody's obligation to accommodate you. Either respect the on board customary practices or cancel.

If a cruise line advertises a formal night I expect them to enforce that dress code and give me a formal night. And if that's the height of arrogance and snobbery, so be it.

So it is.;) The "unwashed" should stay down in steerage on formal nights.

Although you will get tons of emails encouraging you to make reservations, you do NOT have to! We were on the Allure in July and just went to the dining room when we were ready for dinner. One evening we did wait about 10 mins - but I don't think that is too long a wait.

Service is not impacted by the prepaid gratuities but rather by the waiter you get. The first night the waiter served us way too fast - we felt so rushed. But then we got a waiter who called us by our names as we were seated and ensured we had a wonderful experience in the dining room.

So, bottom line, don't make reservations for a set time unless you want to. And, if you get a waiter you do not like one night, make sure they don't seat you in that same section again.

Enjoy your cruise!

Marianne

Marianne,

Thank you so much for the information. The Jewel has dinner at 5:30 and 8:30 so MTD makes sense. Plus I figured since I am doing a fall cruise as a new experience, I may as well throw caution to the wind. Then I got scared! LOL Thanks again.

The Jewel has dinner at 5:30 and 8:30 so MTD makes sense. Plus I figured since I am doing a fall cruise as a new experience, I may as well throw caution to the wind. Then I got scared! LOL Thanks again.

We love MTD especially since 5:30 is too early and 8:30 is too late to eat. We usually make a reservation since we like to eat at 7PM, however I've never seen anyone waiting very long and so it really isn't necessary. Yes we prepay tips but heck we're going to pay them anyway so this doesn't bother us at all.

By the way the Jewel is my favorite ship. Lots of light, outdoor seating for the Windjammer, and just the right size. Make sure you have lunch at the Seaview Cafe. Go all the way thru the Windjammer and take the stairs up 1 deck. Food is included in your cruise fare.

We love MTD especially since 5:30 is too early and 8:30 is too late to eat. We usually make a reservation since we like to eat at 7PM, however I've never seen anyone waiting very long and so it really isn't necessary. Yes we prepay tips but heck we're going to pay them anyway so this doesn't bother us at all.

By the way the Jewel is my favorite ship. Lots of light, outdoor seating for the Windjammer, and just the right size. Make sure you have lunch at the Seaview Cafe. Go all the way thru the Windjammer and take the stairs up 1 deck. Food is included in your cruise fare.

I am so excited to be on the Jewel again. The Jewel must be my favorite too. Whenever I discuss RCI with others and mention JOS I feel a warm fuzzy. The decor with the warm wood tones is so soothing. Looking forward to the Solarium. I will definitely check out the Seaview Cafe.

So it is.. The "unwashed" should stay down in steerage on formal nights.

Nobody is kept out due to social class or economic status. Those who don't want to follow the ship's rules chose to exclude themselves.

To get back to the original point, the OP has signed onto a ship whose MDR dress standards are not acceptable to him. He wants accommodation for his preferences rather than he should conform to a standard that already existed when he booked. He asked for ideas and suggestions, and my idea and suggestion is that he suck it up and dress as required or just cancel out the whole thing and book on a more casual ship. Since he is rightly or wrongly adverse to dressing for dinner, I recommend the later since the won't enjoy his time on board.

Nobody is kept out due to social class or economic status. Those who don't want to follow the ship's rules chose to exclude themselves.

To get back to the original point, the OP has signed onto a ship whose MDR dress standards are not acceptable to him. He wants accommodation for his preferences rather than he should conform to a standard that already existed when he booked. He asked for ideas and suggestions, and my idea and suggestion is that he suck it up and dress as required or just cancel out the whole thing and book on a more casual ship. Since he is rightly or wrongly adverse to dressing for dinner, I recommend the later since the won't enjoy his time on board.

I agree. And I'm mystified by the OP's original post that said he's been on Princess, but feels the need to wear shorts to the MDR. Which is discouraged on Princess. If this is a true sticking point for him (he keeps mentioning he's on vacation:rolleyes:), then perhaps he should book a cruise on a ship that doesn't have a dress code for dinner. Or go to the buffet every night. I wouldn't think of going to a really nice restaurant in shorts.

So it is.;) The "unwashed" should stay down in steerage on formal nights.

WOW. I detect a bit of an "elitest" attitude in this and your other post about formal nights. There are still quite a few cruisers (including moi) that do enjoy the formal nights, like to dress-up, and think that folks that show-up in inappropriate dress are the arrogant ones. In simple terms these folks do not like the rules and are going to do things "their way" no matter what. Now that is arrogance and also disrepectful to those that do follow the guidelines... When we book a very formal ship such as the Queen Mary 2, we understand their rules, take the appropriate clothes, and enjoy the formal experience (they have 3 formal nights out of 6 on crossings). If we book Azamara we do not even take a jacket since we enjoy the casual atmosphere. I would no sooner wear a tux on Azamara then I would wear jeans on a formal night on other lines.

We think what is lost to many these days is something that used to be called "etiquette" and also "good manners." Now, its the me me me attitude that says, I can do whatever I please because I do not care what anyone else thinks.

Hank

WOW. I detect a bit of an "elitest" attitude in this and your other post about formal nights. There are still quite a few cruisers (including moi) that do enjoy the formal nights, like to dress-up, and think that folks that show-up in inappropriate dress are the arrogant ones. In simple terms these folks do not like the rules and are going to do things "their way" no matter what. Now that is arrogance and also disrepectful to those that do follow the guidelines... When we book a very formal ship such as the Queen Mary 2, we understand their rules, take the appropriate clothes, and enjoy the formal experience (they have 3 formal nights out of 6 on crossings). If we book Azamara we do not even take a jacket since we enjoy the casual atmosphere. I would no sooner wear a tux on Azamara then I would wear jeans on a formal night on other lines.

We think what is lost to many these days is something that used to be called "etiquette" and also "good manners." Now, its the me me me attitude that says, I can do whatever I please because I do not care what anyone else thinks.

Hank

The OP wasn't talking about the Queen Mary. It was RCCL.

The OP wasn't discussing Azamara either. The way I read Hlitner's post, Cunard and Azamara were used as examples of two extremes regarding on board formality.

To return to the topic raised by the OP, he's booked onto a ship where the dining options and dress standards don't meet his preferences. It's like booking a reservation at a steak house and then asking for ideas and suggestions regarding vegetarian options.

The point is the same - the OP signed on for something that he already knew he wouldn't like. If this is a problem for him it's entirely of his own making. Nobody should have to solve it for him.

The OP wasn't discussing Azamara either. The way I read Hlitner's post, Cunard and Azamara were used as examples of two extremes regarding on board formality.

To return to the topic raised by the OP, he's booked onto a ship where the dining options and dress standards don't meet his preferences. It's like booking a reservation at a steak house and then asking for ideas and suggestions regarding vegetarian options.

The point is the same - the OP signed on for something that he already knew he wouldn't like. If this is a problem for him it's entirely of his own making. Nobody should have to solve it for him.

You said it better then me :)

Hank

When it comes to cruising, all of us are entitled to our opinions. All of us are entitled to our likes and dislikes. For instance...

• I love seadays as they give me a chance to relax. I enjoy sitting back, reading a good book, and watching the sea go by. Others enjoy non stop activities and entertainment. I certainly have no problems with those who feel that way.
  • We tend to choose a cruise line for itinerary. We love getting off of the ship and visiting new places. Others are content with just sitting on the ship. We certainly have no problems with those who choose to spend their day differently.
  • I tend to go to bed early and get up early. Others may stay up half the night and sleep until noon. That is their choice.
  • I enjoy the Lido for breakfast and lunch. Others abhor the Lido and feel that the dining room is more "civilized" for breakfast and lunch. That is fine withe me. Again, it is all about choices.
  • After dinner we prefer sitting in a lounge listening to classical or quiet music. Others prefer a broadway style show or dancing disco. Folks can make choices.
  • We do not care to dress up in true "formal" attire. We do enjoy eating in the MDR or a specialty restaurant for dinner although we do "dress up" Others want to go the tux and long gown route. That's fine with us. BUT why should we be told to choose another line, eat in the Lido, or use room service on formal nights? Again, it is all about choices. We are perfectly happy with those who make choices that differ from ours.

Again, we are all entitled to our opinions. I find those who feel that only their opinion is the correct opinion to be quite arrogant! In truth, those who are the folks who believe that it is all about, "me, me, me."

Archived