Royal Caribbean strands 145 passengers in San Juan when Irene forces early departure

From my outpost in the world, I'm wondering: As I booked my cruise, all info needed was email-adress and cc-number...

I can tell y'all how we adress mass messages here...

I use under 2 (two) minutes sending Priority e-mails and text messages to everyone in my company... When an emergency hits, messages are tagged...

And that's world wide!

My company has over 100.000 employees worldwide, and tests have shown thet we have a 92% success rate of getting our messages across.

This shows that the emergency recovery plans, and the proacticve emergency plans of the Rccl leaves a lo to be desired.

All in my humble opinion, of course :)

After the ship got from port; luckily; I'm under Norwegian law when ordering so I'm very good covered...

The fact of the matter is we have no idea when the call was made to force the ship out early. The ship left at 5:30. They started to limit port activity at 12:30. We do not know what went on during those 5 hours. Unless it has been stated and I missed it, we do NOT know when the Port told RCCL they had to leave at 5:30 and not when they had planned to. Its quite possible the call wasn't made to force the ships out until mid afternoon. Could they have handled the situation better. Sure. Is it really going to cause them to lose business? No.

Not sure about Royal, but Carnival advised their guests checking in at 11am that the ship would probably leave early.

I think the point of the post you were responding to is that the technology exists to contact hundreds of airline passengers, so why can't RCI contact hundreds of cruise passengers? It wasn't so much about how or whether they accomodated their passengers.

OK, tell what wonderful technology could tell everybody what is going on before the ship leaves when the port is closed by the government. There were thousands of pax and less than two percent were left behind. Those who had passports could check in in the next port. For the others, they were out of luck BECAUSE of their choice not to get a passport. If everybody got everything without the insurance, why buy it? Yes, my family lost a cruise because we did not have insurance. Yes, it hurt. BUT I do understand why CARIVAL did not refund my cruise fare. I was out of luck because I thought that the line would protect my interests. If I had had insurance, THEY would have picked up the tab. Sorry.

Royal Caribbean needs to step up to the plate, admit that contractually they are covered in there response to the situation, However, in retrospect did not respond in a manor that shows how much it appreciates it's loyal customers.

I completely agree. You think about some of the infamous screw-ups by various travel companies (delta and jetblue come immediately to mind) and recognize how quickly they acted to repair their reputation.

RCCL admitting that they could have done better (i.e. made a better effort to contact passengers) would be a great first step. Issuing credit may be an appropriate second step, I don't know. Initially, I didn't think that was necessary, but as this lack of response continues, I feel that RCCL will need to step up their efforts to win these customers (and several others) back.

Maybe this will be the wave of the future for cruise lines during hurricane season. It makes sense to embrace technology.

This was posted on the Carnival board

Meanwhile, Carnival is rapidly improving their communication. We're going out on the Glory from NYC tomorrow, and for a while we were getting all our news from Cruise Critic, rather than Carnival, but I've received two helpful emails from Carnival in the last day, one announcing the route change and another announcing the early 3pm departure. The early departure announcement also said to keep checking often, as they may have to make further updates.

Even better, they set up a text-alert system. Text CCL2 to 36500 and you'll get up to the minute updates on the Carnival Glory situation. Now that's service!

Brian

Well, the only thing I've got asked when booking here in Norway was email adress and cc-number...

:p

It's not during the booking. It's during the on-line check in portion. It really helps, it's nice not to have to fill out a ton of disembarkation paperwork half way through a cruise, reminding you just how little of the cruise there is left.

When all is said and done, we suggest RCI changes their name to:

RCL&L "Royal Caribbean Listened & Learned". But then again....how do we know if they HEARD us?

I, for one, would love that RCCL would take their heritage as an (former) Norwegian company for all it's worth, and do the right thing.Not the $$ thing.

It's all about lookin' after your next of kin' , or guests if you like... It is still possible, I believe, to be decent, and still earn your earnest dollar, IMHO!

:)

This also happened to the Carnival Victory. As mentioned on John Heald's Facebook page, Carnival paid to put everyone left behind up in a hotel and flew them to Barbardos, the next port. The ones who could not fly to Barbados because they did not have a passport, required for international air travel, were sent home. It's Mother Nature's fault, not the cruiseline, not the passengers. Don't blame either of them. The cruiselines had no choice but to leave when they were told to go.

Lessons: Arrive and board early. Have insurance. Have a passport.

probably already mentioned, but those without passports were flown home and received a full cruise credit.

Certainly not defending RCI, don't know the whole story so will save my final opinion.

I agree that RCI needed to AT LEAST TRY to make contact with the missing passengers. But, in all reality, would it have made much difference? If the passengers were in flight and even received the message, the only difference would have been that they found out the ship was leaving without them before they arrived at the port.

Seems to me (and that doesn't mean much) that the only ones to benefit from notification would be the few driving to the port and not planning on boarding til the last minute. If I were in that very small group, I'd be happy for the call, but in the overall picture, don't see how it would have really done much good.

Certainly not defending RCI, don't know the whole story so will save my final opinion.

I agree that RCI needed to AT LEAST TRY to make contact with the missing passengers. But, in all reality, would it have made much difference? If the passengers were in flight and even received the message, the only difference would have been that they found out the ship was leaving without them before they arrived at the port.

Seems to me (and that doesn't mean much) that the only ones to benefit from notification would be the few driving to the port and not planning on boarding til the last minute. If I were in that very small group, I'd be happy for the call, but in the overall picture, don't see how it would have really done much good.

If it helps one person, its worth it. If it helped no one, at least an effort was made.

OK, tell what wonderful technology could tell everybody what is going on before the ship leaves when the port is closed by the government.

The same technology that airlines use to tell everybody what is going on when airports are closed or when other things change with their flights. RCI obviously knew about the closure. There's no excuse for them to not have at least attempted to send some form of messages to their passengers.

There were thousands of pax and less than two percent were left behind.

Actually it was about 6%.

Those who had passports could check in in the next port. For the others, they were out of luck BECAUSE of their choice not to get a passport. If everybody got everything without the insurance, why buy it? Yes, my family lost a cruise because we did not have insurance. Yes, it hurt. BUT I do understand why CARIVAL did not refund my cruise fare. I was out of luck because I thought that the line would protect my interests. If I had had insurance, THEY would have picked up the tab. Sorry.

Insurance wasn't the deciding factor as to who was taken care of. The deciding factor was whether or not the passengers had purchased their air fare through RCI.

As with many posters here and elsewhere, as reported this upsets me, that RC would treat their passengers this way. And the company's silence on the matter upsets me even more. Is no one in that corporate office reading about the reaction to this and worried about the repercussions? Pennywise/poundfoolish comparisons spring to mind...

But on a practical note, as a PP pointed out, it will be fascinating to hear the "rest of the story." Specifically, how did it work when the decision was made to leave early? Was there a "gap" in boarding, when NO ONE was at the pier trying to embark? Between the several thousand already aboard and the 145 who were left? Or were there people checking in, getting their seapass cards, and then being told, "Sorry, we are leaving early. You are here, when you were told to be here, but you cannot board." And if there were such people, what about their checked luggage? So many questions...

But on a practical note, as a PP pointed out, it will be fascinating to hear the "rest of the story." Specifically, how did it work when the decision was made to leave early? Was there a "gap" in boarding, when NO ONE was at the pier trying to embark? Between the several thousand already aboard and the 145 who were left? Or were there people checking in, getting their seapass cards, and then being told, "Sorry, we are leaving early. You are here, when you were told to be here, but you cannot board." And if there were such people, what about their checked luggage? So many questions...

I think details will start to trickle in starting this weekend. I, too, am interested in hearing actual accounts because some things in the one and only RCI statement are questionable....like what does "couldn't" mean in trying to contact guests? From what I read, I have no idea what, if any attempt was made. If they didn't even try, what's the point of providing all my travel info and contact info in the on-line check-in? :confused:

Regardless, I have a feeling RCI is working at some sort of compensation deal on those left behind, thus holding off on a follow-up press release until they can report something positive. At least, I would hope so. We're not talking a lot of people here, so compensating them shouldn't be too difficult.

I think details will start to trickle in starting this weekend. I, too, am interested in hearing actual accounts because some things in the one and only RCI statement are questionable....like what does "couldn't" mean in trying to contact guests? From what I read, I have no idea what, if any attempt was made. If they didn't even try, what's the point of providing all my travel info and contact info in the on-line check-in? :confused:

Regardless, I have a feeling RCI is working at some sort of compensation deal on those left behind, thus holding off on a follow-up press release until they can report something positive. At least, I would hope so. We're not talking a lot of people here, so compensating them shouldn't be too difficult.

I agree in part Paul but what irritates me lately about the management of this company is their lack of focus on their own business. We all know what the contract states but in this case I think that RCI needed to suck it up and take care of their customers. I am one of their biggest supporters but this was wrong in every way. I guess Adam and company wanted to see if this would blow up in their face and now they may react after they have egg on their face.

Personally I think that it's time for a change at the helm of RCCL and RCI. Rough economy or not, this is not the first time that RCI or RCCL as a whole has reacted this way. If RCI was/is going to take care of these people then they should have at least posted some type of communication to the media with all of the questions being asked.

If it helps one person, its worth it. If it helped no one, at least an effort was made.

Well said! A lot of people on here are rationalizing RCI's non-attempt to send messages by saying that passengers may not have their phone on, they may not have messaging, etc. As you said, if only ONE PERSON would have received such a message, it would have been worth it.

What I would like to see is a poll of the people on here that are extremely disappointed with RCI has taken their last cruise with them and will now only cruise with CCL because they did the right thing and RCI did not!

I for one am not going to stop cruising with RCI due to this. Am I happy about the way that the situation was handled "as we know it"? No but I will not stop cruising with them. Especially to move back to Carnival which I feel does not give the same cruise experience for us.

In reading Carnival's board it seems Carnival put the passengers missing the ship in a hotel and then flew them to the next port on the cruise line's dime. Reminds me how well Carnival did after the Splendor fire...so well that some Universities are including the episode in their business classes as an example of customer care. RCCL may want to attend those classes!:D

I do not believe that RCI has any obligation to compensate any of the 131 pax who missed the ship and were not on cruise/air. That said, RCI must have decided that the ill will, bad press? etc will cost less in the long run than providing assistance to those 131 people. Carnival, on the other hand and who I have never sailed with, must have decided that the cost of providing assistance to their pax who missed will be recouped due to the good press and good feelings of the people that they helped.

RCI has probably lost forever a good number of those 131 pax and many of them will advise their friends, family, co-workers etc etc of their experience. Carnival has probably a very good chance of keeping the pax they helped as well as any new business that occurs from their word of mouth.

There is a litany of companies who took their customers for granted and then these companies became a footnote in business history. it really comes down to a corporate cost/payback decision. Just sayin.

I totally agree!! Carnival went out of their way to help passengers and RCL didn't even try (only the ones who booked air, etc. thru them). What does that tell you? RCL's customer service isn't what it used to be and it's very obvious now. They could have tried providing some assistance. That's why we don't cruise them any more.

In reading Carnival's board it seems Carnival put the passengers missing the ship in a hotel and then flew them to the next port on the cruise line's dime. Reminds me how well Carnival did after the Splendor fire...so well that some Universities are including the episode in their business classes as an example of customer care. RCCL may want to attend those classes!:D

My how memories fade over time. There were many threads with people complaining after the Splendor fire because Carnival was slow at cancelling future cruises and wasn't willing to transfer people to other cruises initially.

I do feel RCL handled this situation very poorly and should have made some kind of statement by now. I also think we are missing a lot of information concerning the port closure. I will wait patiently to hear from those who actually were effected by the port closure.

Archived