Live from Diamond Princess in Glacier Bay!

Ashley8053

Hi everyone, I'm currently sitting in my stateroom on the Diamond Princess as we make our way back out of Glacier Bay. We have been on the ship since Saturday, and this is the 2nd cruising day. We've been to Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. I am in room B107, which is one of the forward wrap around suites. I read a lot of negative comments about these suites before we came but let me tell you, I couldn't be happier with this room, the balcony is by far the best on the ship. The Diamond itself is nice, but it doesn't live up to my last cruise which was on RC's Freedom of the Sea's. I love big ship cruising so I'm missing a lot of those extra's you get on huge ships. I also think Royal does a better job in decorating, but that's just my personal preference. The staff on the Diamond is EXCEPTIONAL, probably the best I've ever had on a cruise. If you have any questions, let me know, I will probably be online for a while!

- Ashley

Oh, LA to Hawaii, sounds wonderful! I am a little jealous, you were probably able to take advantage of the pools and MUTS. The cold weather is not really letting us use those, haha!

Have to admit Ashley ~ I'm was a bit jealous as I read your original post! We loved our Alaska cruise on the Coral Princess ~ Alaska cruises are just awesome! I will check often for your "live from" posts. :)

I do have a question: How was the weather today at Glacier Bay?

Oh yes, the Alaskan cruise has been fantastic!

The weather today in Glacier Bay was very chilly, a bit cloudy, but the rain held off and the sun actually poked out a bit. The reflection off the water and ice was bright enough that I wore sunglasses out on deck. Once we started moving it got pretty windy. I am wearing a turtleneck and sweatshirt and I was pretty comfortable.

We've had 2 bad storms so far on this trip, and apparently we're in for another tonight. The first 2 days the boat was rocking so much we couldn't walk in a straight line. Crew said they haven't felt movement like this all summer - just our luck! The weather in all the ports was cold and rainy. I am SO glad I left my shorts at home and took a lot of warm weather gear, it was really needed.

You can absolutely use the balcony while moving, and the wind has not been a problem for us. The ONLY time it was very windy was when we were leaving Vancouver and heading into the open ocean, but it was windy anywhere that day. I'd definitely go for it if you have the chance, the room and the views are great!

I'm here again! This time we're heading up toward College Fjord, bu have another 5 hours or so until we get there. Last night the seas were awful. The crew kept saying they had never felt it so bad in Alaska. Couple things I've been taking note of to pass along to you:

- The fold out sofa beds are downright awful. Always split your group up so no one has to be sleeping on one of these, I am dealing with the worst back pain of my life because of it.

- If you enjoy singing or performing make sure you don't miss out on the Princess Pop Choir, I have been participating since the start and it's a blast. We have our big performance tonight, I'm getting excited!

- If you enjoy getting photos taken, make sure you enter the photo contest and show up for the drawing. We've done each of them and have always won because no one comes!

- The buffet food is pretty awful (in my opinion). If given the opportunity to do a sit down and order style lunch, DO IT!

- Pacific Moon Dining Room has been my favorite Anytime Dining location so far. I've been calling in the morning to set up a reservation and have not had a problem.

- The International Crew show is great! It's amazing to see the talents of the crew, and they really seem to enjoy doing it too! But good god Princess needs to drop that horrible "If I Wasn't At Sea" song at the end, yuck.

I think that's all for now! Tomorrow we head North to Denali. I'm really not looking forward to leaving the ship, I'm really enjoying it!

Op;

Thanks for taking the time to post from the Diamond. We sailed on her in 2009 and loved the ship. Loved the wider promenade decks and not having the extra deck and 500 more passengers like the Crown class ships.

I know your cruise is just about over and I can understad not wanting to leave the Diamond. I guess the only thing to do is book another cruise. I'd recommend the 14 day r/t to Hawaii from Los Angeles. Those 8 sea days are the best.

Safe travels home.....:):):)

Bob

• 1 year later...

Hello I know this is a very old thread but in case you are checking it, I am wondering if you could describe the suite a little bit more and perhaps if you had any photos you could send or post? I am booked in suite c104 (Port suite on a deck below but same layout I think) while waitlisted for a penthouse - any information you can provide would be appreciated

!

Archived