"Watchdog" on tipping...BBC 1

jocap

I think that sums it up.

And the programme generally.

Consumer issues mean that such programmes are a must-watch.

But Watchdog is as bad as the companies it chases. It concentrates too much on headline-grabbing and on childish style & presentation, rather than content.

For instance, who the hell cares whether a presenter has just got his wings? Why waste time on that at the expense of a rushed & poorly-researched interview on energy prices.

The cruise tipping issue is well worth bringing up on such a programme. But the cruiser's right to change or delete tips was glossed-over as an after-thought - in the interests of consumers, it should have been highlighted.

And the only cruiseline that I know of which has mandatory tipping, Costa, wasn't even named !!

Yep, a fairly limp attempt by Watchdog

JB :)

Agreed, it does seem that the programme is getting more sarcastic about topics, and having a joke than getting down to the nitty gritty.

Anne Robinson, while I appreciate she doesn't want the victim they get on the show to waffle, does tend to get in their face a little too much for my liking, even if it's merited.

Even my kids who have cruised several times know more about the tipping policies of the cruise ships than what Watchdog portrayed last night.

What they forget (conveniently), is that nearly all of the crew are on a shockingly poor wage, and are expected to make up their wage through tips, a bit like in the US, so is an incentive to perform better. Not that they need much encouragement. From what I've heard from crew staff, it's usually a two strike policy, and then they're fired!!

The only qualm I have is for the cruise industry to increase the tip levels to what they are now.

Wish they wouldn't keep bringing up that 'holiday expert' Simon Calder every time they have an article on holidays..

ScrozUK

Whilst I would much prefer to have the 'tips' added to the cruise price and be paid upfront, I thought that Watchdog had badly researched this subject. The service charges are well documented in brochures and on the cruiseline websites, but some travel agents and tv travel chanels continue to avoid mentioning them or worse still advise customers to have them removed, maybe the practices of these organisations should be scrutinised by Watchdog?

We choose to cruise with an American cruise line and accept that the American tipping culture, having to be over 21 to drink alcohol etc are part of the deal.

We leave our auto tips on and feel thoroughly ashamed of the long line of mainly UK passengers removing their tips on the last night of the cruise. The only justification to remove or reduce these charges is bad service and we simply have not received any bad service on our cruises.

And the only cruiseline that I know of which has mandatory tipping, Costa, wasn't even named !!

Costa is probably the one they could have go at with with trading standards support since although not hidden I thought compulsory charges should be included.

Anyone know of any other holidays that have hidden compulsory charges,

eg Are US style resort hotel charges(similar to grats) always included in UK pricings?

Costa is probably the one they could have go at with with trading standards support since although not hidden I thought compulsory charges should be included.

Anyone know of any other holidays that have hidden compulsory charges,

eg Are US style resort hotel charges(similar to grats) always included in UK pricings?

Not quite sure what you mean. I have booked a hotel in Fort Lauderdale pre cruise. In the original booing and in the invoice I was advised of a resort fee of $10.50 per room per night to be paid to the hotel. Is this what you mean?

Really the 'nub' of it was that first time cruisers HADNT read the pre cruise paper work or their brochure so went aware of the issue of tips...

Nor had there TA explained the differences in the cruise lines one of which is tipping to their clients when they came in and said '' we want to book a cruise''

now with all the TA's moaning about commission (P&O cut theres to 5%) is this a case of TA's pushing cruise lines that pay them better commission and avoiding the topic of tips..? that could put a passanger off booking one with that line

I wonder ???

Something of a Non story really! if people do not want to pay tips,Gratutities and Service charges on cruises then stay away from them! I agree that if watchdog are going to cover a story correctly then they should research it better and then cover it in the right way.

Watchdog has a reputation for dodgy programmes.

Look what they did with Thomson Dream....slated the ship, made a big hoo-hah over the ship and then broadcast it long after the bulk of the problems had been sorted and settlements made with unhappy customers. When the programme aired, people had been made to think the ship was a disaster when infact by the time it was broadcast 99% of the initial start up faults had been put right and the ship had been drydocked anyway.

Its odd that each time the programme does a segment that involves cruising, they go out of their way to run it down without ever researching properly.

Maybe watchdog should be looked into themselves...

Watchdog has a reputation for dodgy programmes.

Look what they did with Thomson Dream....slated the ship, made a big hoo-hah over the ship and then broadcast it long after the bulk of the problems had been sorted and settlements made with unhappy customers. When the programme aired, people had been made to think the ship was a disaster when infact by the time it was broadcast 99% of the initial start up faults had been put right and the ship had been drydocked anyway.

Its odd that each time the programme does a segment that involves cruising, they go out of their way to run it down without ever researching properly.

Maybe watchdog should be looked into themselves...

Yeah, I remember watching that programme about the Thomson Dream. Sure they had some problems to start with, but I think the majority of passengers on there are satisfied with it now.

All I can say is, it's a good job they didn't do a feature about MSC Opera fiasco on it's maiden voyage. They'd be having us lobbying for capital punishment for the crew and the owners of the cruise ship company.

ScrozUK

ScrozUK- you were on that Opera cruise?

The bar staff at the Holiday Inn in Southampton were telling us about all the poor pax being delivered there at 4am, then being woken early to catch coaches to London, where they would pick up a coach home....she said that some people were beyond exhaustion. The Opera was due out again on the Saturday we sailed, but the port held her back for some reason.

Opera's getting good reviews now, though.

Jo.

Something of a Non story really! if people do not want to pay tips,Gratutities and Service charges on cruises then stay away from them! I agree that if watchdog are going to cover a story correctly then they should research it better and then cover it in the right way.

the idea to tip actualy means to give when good service recieved so when u get substandard service which does happen were being made to make up the perons wages,

im with a few other members increase the cruise price by £100 a week take away the auto-charges on all pax and if you want to tip a person for outstanding service you can without affecting another member of staffs personal circumstances.

there has been instances of staff bragging they earn $1500 a cruise in tips

does make some pax think ,whose the mug us paying £1500 for a 2 week cruise and $400 tips .

ScrozUK- you were on that Opera cruise?

The bar staff at the Holiday Inn in Southampton were telling us about all the poor pax being delivered there at 4am, then being woken early to catch coaches to London, where they would pick up a coach home....she said that some people were beyond exhaustion. The Opera was due out again on the Saturday we sailed, but the port held her back for some reason.

Opera's getting good reviews now, though.

Jo.

Nope, thankfully not, but I've read a fair few tales of poor organisation by MSC when transferring off the ship and bumping them to the airport to fly home.

Am glad that the ship has managed to sort it's problems out now, even with the MCA hold back they had the once. They haven't made that mistake again..

ScrozUK

I watched the programme and was dismayed. They made no attempt to properly address the pros and cons of the issue in any depth at all. Sadly a once really useful, informative programme has gone the way of many BBC programmes and is only interested in silly entertainment without any journalism.

My son works for RCCL and I can confirm that the service staff receive wages of $50 a month, paid in cash every 2 weeks!! They also have to pay for their uniforms out of this. The auto tips are shared out so that staff working in back bars (preparing drinks etc) and buffet restaurants do not miss out. Only the additional tips go directly to the server. $1500 a cruise in tips may be correct on US based cruise ships but staff on European itineraries will be lucky to make that amount in a month! :o

Sue :D

Archived