Coffee from the Neptune Lounge

dpump

I agree with Kazu. They place out lovely cups and saucers for our use and we are welcome to bring them to our cabin. No need to bring along a mug but if you absolutely will not be happy if you don't, the usual souvenir size mug should fit under the nozzle.

why bring your own mug?? They have beautiful cups in the Neptune Lounge. I take cups of coffee back to my room all the time;)

Kazu-

Out here in Seattle, we don't mess with those 'baby cups', no matter how beautiful they are. We live by grande or venti sizes! :<)

Thanks for the info on the cup size.

Out here in Seattle, we don't mess with those 'baby cups', no matter how beautiful they are. We live by grande or venti sizes!

Me too. I brought a grande-size hot cup to the Neptune each morning. The only reason I did not bring a venti was to be considerate of the line that would form behind me while I was pouring more than one cutie cup full into my hot cup. :D

I bring a thermos and fill it up only because I like to drink coffee throughout the day. Being our stateroom is a distance from the Neptune Lounge and I am on a scooter, it is much easier to fill the thermos, to keep the coffee hot and not worry about spillage and getting cold before I get to drink it.

I have ordered the carafes of coffee from Room Service which keeps the coffee or hot chocolate hot for only about an hour... I've bought the souvenir mugs from the shops, which keeps things hot for about 30 minutes max. This time I am using a real thermos that guarantees to keep things hot or cold for 12 hours minimum.

IF you like to have hot coffee early in the morning (3-5 a.m.) keep in mind that the first 48 hours are Code Orange on the ship. There will be no fresh coffee for you to serve yourself so a thermos (filled the night before) or room service is the only way to have coffee that early.

Joanie

What is code orange?

just HAL's attempt to prevent Noro- Virus in case someone lied on their health questionnaire ;) Lido is wrapped in Saran - there is no self serve - everyone serves you - It's for 2 days and then things go back to normal as long as everyone is fine. Code red (NORO) is much more serious - you don't want to go there;) Smooth sailing:)

What is code orange?

just HAL's attempt to prevent Noro- Virus in case someone lied on their health questionnaire ;) Lido is wrapped in Saran - there is no self serve - everyone serves you - It's for 2 days and then things go back to as long as everyone is fine. Code red (NORO) is much more serious - you don't want to go there;) Smooth sailing:)

Code Orange is only in the Lido Buffet and Terrace Grill areas for everything for 48 hours.

Wait staff helps you with everything including drinks.

I don't think Code Orange applies in the Neptune Lounge, does it?

I don't remember not being able to get my own coffee or snacks in the Neptune Lounge, even the first day of sailing.

We used the beautiful cups they have there also, and the tray from under the ice bucket helps to carry them, if you need more than one cup. I think a travel mug would have been useful, though, since it does keep the coffee hot longer, and less worry about spillage or breakage!

I don't remember not being able to get my own coffee or snacks in the Neptune Lounge, even the first day of sailing.

We used the beautiful cups they have there also, and the tray from under the ice bucket helps to carry them, if you need more than one cup. I think a travel mug would have been useful, though, since it does keep the coffee hot longer, and less worry about spillage or breakage!

Code Orange did not include the Neptune Lounge on our March cruise on the Maasdam. As for the large travel mug.....Mrs. K bought one on the cruise for a port where we had to get up with the chickens and off to a tour. She just filled it a couple of times from the machine in the NL. Other than that we love the cups, etc., and use those in our cabin.

So far the Neptune Lounge has not been affected by the Code Orange on any of our cruises -- most recent one was Amsterdam in June.

Now some people have mentioned that the Pinnacle Grill was not open the first 2 mornings on some ships for breakfast. We have not experienced that either.

Now some people have mentioned that the Pinnacle Grill was not open the first 2 mornings on some ships for breakfast. We have not experienced that either.

The PG was not open the first morning of our cruise this past March. Actually the concierge had told us it wouldn't be open the first two morning when we first boarded. We just happened to go through the NL early the second day and he volunteered that they had changed the schedule and the Pinaccle was open. He apologized that he hadn't gotten better information in time to pass it on to us.

We've never seen Code Orange make any changes in Neptune. We have always helped ourselves.

We have learned that while the Concierges mean very well they are not always correct about whether Pinnacle is open for breakfast. There have been times they told us they were absolutely sure Pinnacle would be closed the first two mornings for breakfast. When we told the concierge she was mistaken and we had enjoyed breakfast in Pinnacle, she was genuinely surprised. She either 'assumed' or got bad information.

Veryify for yourself if it matters to you.

The PG was not open the first morning of our cruise this past March. Actually the concierge had told us it wouldn't be open the first two morning when we first boarded. We just happened to go through the NL early the second day and he volunteered that they had changed the schedule and the Pinaccle was open. He apologized that he hadn't gotten better information in time to pass it on to us.

Yes, now that you mention it, the concierge told us that PG was not open the first morning of our cruise. We could go from the second day forward. I did not go to actually check myself, though...

If you are in a suite please know that the coffee in the Neptune is 1000% better that the coffee from room service. Oh how I loved that coffee machine. Also know you may order a cappuccino/espresso when you have breakfast in the Pinnacle. Yum. After the first few mornings they knew and brought me one immediately.

I have never seen code orange apply to the Neptune Lounge either. Not sure why as there is always an attendant from the Pinnacle in the lounge fussing and replenishing. Maybe HAL figures that because so few people have access to the food there, as opposed to upstairs, that it isn't warranted.

My sister laments that the coffee in the Neptune is not hot enough. She likes it scorching. Sometimes I wonder about her.

If you are in a suite please know that the coffee in the Neptune is 1000% better that the coffee from room service. Oh how I loved that coffee machine. Also know you may order a cappuccino/espresso when you have breakfast in the Pinnacle. Yum. After the first few mornings they knew and brought me one immediately.

Yes, you can always have complimentary cappuccino/espresso in Pinnacle Grill but the same in the main dining room, for all meals.

Archived