Fort Lauderdale Taxi's

RCCL Fan

How did you get your little one from the airport to the ship with a car seat???

Do taxi's have LATCH to install the car seat? Do you do a shuttle bus with no car seat? What has everyone tried?

Right now our plan is to rent a car, install our car seat, and I drop the wife and kid off and then i bring car back and take the shuttle back to ship alone.

Are you sailing from Pt. Everglades? If so, it's only a 10 min ride to the port....rather than rent a car, I'd either do a shuttle without the carseat (more expensive than a taxi), or see if there IS a taxi with car seats.....

I wouldn't go to the expense and time consumption of a car rental at this port.

Yes we are, but we're flying in a day early.

So we need to get from FLL to the Sheraton Ft Lauderdale and then from their to the port the next morning.

and from the port to the airport when we return.

Do you know any shuttles that you recommend, you don't need a car seat in a shuttle bus??

How do you find a taxi with a car seat?

You typically cannot secure a carseat in a shuttle bus. Some parents are ok with transporting a small child without a carseat in a shuttle bus because a shuttle bus will typically fare better in a crash than a passenger car but there are exceptions. If it rolls, you have a big problem.

One advantage to taking your own carseat is not having to wait on transportation. If your 2 yo is having a meltdown, throw the carseat in the next available taxi and go. If you go without a carseat and decide to only use shuttle busses, you may have to wait until they arrive or until they are full.

yeah she never really meltsdown. we know.... we're lucky. She's good like that.

I'm thinking we may go for a shuttle to get from ship to airport.

we just have to figure out plan on the way in...

Fort Lauderdale is the one city where I rely on the city taxis for transport (and yes, we use the car seats and hook them in the best we can).

You are staying at the same hotel that I stayed at for Grandeur last year. You can see my review of the hotel (with pictures) and my stupid rookie mistake in post #5 ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1277771

Take taxis - and DO NOT listen to the front door men like I did. :D

EDITED TO SAY: If I had to do it all over again - I would have gone back to the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood - then I would have rented a car ;)

I'm thinking we may go for a shuttle to get from ship to airport.

we just have to figure out plan on the way in...

Ship to Airport is $12 - $15 total in a taxi. :D

Just step off Allure and get in the taxi line. The airport is 1.2 miles from the port - it's the cheapest port to airport trip around. :D

yeah she never really meltsdown. we know.... we're lucky. She's good like that.

I had one like that too. Until the day they decided to have a meltdown in the middle of a crowded airport.

Unless you really need a rental car for some reason, why can't you take the hotel's free shuttle from the airport to the hotel? The Hampton Inn offers free pick up at the airport, and a free shuttle to the cruise port. They'll also take you to dinner in the shuttle and pick you up when you are done. We stayed there one year and they were great with the kids.

The Hampton Inn offers free pick up at the airport, and a free shuttle to the cruise port. They'll also take you to dinner in the shuttle and pick you up when you are done. We stayed there one year and they were great with the kids.

They are staying at the Sheraton. And if you tell me that they have a free shuttle, it is going to give me one more reason not to like them. :p (after I paid $90 for the Suburban there)

Ship to Airport is $12 - $15 total in a taxi. :D

Just step off Allure and get in the taxi line. The airport is 1.2 miles from the port - it's the cheapest port to airport trip around. :D

San Diego sounds very similar. When I saw how close the aiport was to the port we ended up taking public transportation. I think it cost us less than $5 for my husband and I to get to the port. This was pre-wee one so now it wouldn't be as doable so we would take a cab but still much cheaper than paying for the cruise line transportation.

And then does anyone remember the name of the transportation company that has car seats from FLL? And/or from the Miami airport? I thought I read a recommendation a few months ago for FLL and I searched the posts but I might not have gone back far enough. TIA.

• 1 month later...
Anyone who travels, no matter how careful they are, has a story where they were ripped-off! It's unavoidable. Mine involves a shady taxi driver in Istanbul that cost me about what you paid.

6rugrats, did you use car seats in the Hampton Inn shuttle?

I posted a similar post on the Royal Caribbean board, the post was moved to the Florida departure board and I was totally blasted. Glad this has not happened to you.

We are flying in from Detroit to FLL for our November cruise on the Allure....and to be honest, I didn't even think about booking our granddaughter on our flight. She will be 20 months old and there will be 6 adults to hold her on the flight down. I asked what people do once they get to Florida and NEED a carseat for the 10-15 minute trip to the hotel. I was blasted for not bringing her carseat......but we didn't and I couldn't/haven't found any info yet.

This week I ended up booking a vehicle thru (all one word) afamilylimo at aol dot com. We will have them pick us up at FLL and drive us to the Westin Beach Resort in Fort Lauderdale. For 6 adults and one approved child seat it was $85 plus tip. I am sure it would not be nearly as expensive for a family of 3 or 4, but with 7 of us we had to get a vehicle big enough to fit all of us, plus our luggage. We booked them for our trip from the hotel to the seaport and then a week later from the seaport to the hotel.

My husband and I used them one time a few years ago and the guy was on time waiting for us in the baggage dept. at the airport. He put the number in his phone and found it this past week so I called them. I am confident it will all work out. Most importantly, they have an approved child seat for our granddaughter. Otherwise we could have settled for several taxis or the shuttle.

I hope this helps you. Most times you find good info on Cruise Critic. Good luck to you.......and enjoy your vacation!

Archived