Taxi to Capri and Anacapri from Marina Grande

ptater

Yes, taxis are available to Capri or Anacapri but make sure you take the earlier hydrofoil from Naples to Marina Grande before the crowd gets there. The taxis are located either right at the dock where you get off the hydrofoils, at the bus stop ( right of dock where you get the small orange bus) or left of dock (large open space). We had extreme difficulties last week trying to get a taxi because we took the 11:10 am hydrofoil ( many in our group wanted to sleep in - all have been to Capri/Anacapri on previous cruises).

I have seen all kinds of taxis: regular ones, convertibles and this time we rode in a really nice one- three rows of white leather seats with great air conditioning.

I am hoping it will not be as busy on Capri in October......but we will take your advice and

try to arrive early. We rode the funnicular in Santorini and then took a taxi to Oia...and almost didn't get a taxi back...this time will ask the taxi to wait and take us back.....is this

what your group did?

It was awful in Naples that day. I knew in advance that there were to be over 18,000 cruisers in port that day (thanks to someone on Cruise Critic who mentioned the site to see how many ships were in port). I wanted to go earlier but many people in our group wanted to sleep in. In the end we had very little time in Capri for the only hydrofoil tickets available for return were for 2:40pm or 5pm & later. Numerous people were more comfortable with the 2:40pm hydrofoil so we all bought tickets for that time slot. Seeing the long line ups for the funicular & local bus and all taxis were full the other people gave up going to Capri. In the end my family of 4 was fortunate to find a taxi.

No, we let go of the taxi when we got up to Capri. The short taxi trip up to Capri was $31 euro (excludes tips). We immediately went to buy the tickets for the funicular ($1.60 euro each) down to dock (no line up at Capri). Then we did a quick trip to view & take pictures of the famous Faraglioni. We only did window shopping and decided to have a nice lunch at the cafe in the square next to the clock tower . Mind you, we have been to Capri & Anacapri a few times.

I personally think it will be too expensive if you ask the taxi to wait for you while you visit Capri. I do not think Capri will be that busy in Oct.

Have a great cruise !

It was awful in Naples that day. I knew in advance that there were to be over 18,000 cruisers in port that day (thanks to someone on Cruise Critic who mentioned the site to see how many ships were in port). I wanted to go earlier but many people in our group wanted to sleep in. In the end we had very little time in Capri for the only hydrofoil tickets available for return were for 2:40pm or 5pm & later. Numerous people were more comfortable with the 2:40pm hydrofoil so we all bought tickets for that time slot. Seeing the long line ups for the funicular & local bus and all taxis were full the other people gave up going to Capri. In the end my family of 4 was fortunate to find a taxi.

!

I guess everyone has their priorities but one good rule for independent travelers (moi) is to get a very early start (which means beat the crowds) when you know you must go some distance from a port. We always tell folks to go to their furthest point very early in the day (in this case Capri) and consider heading back towards the port a little early. This is the basic formula for seeing lots of things without missing the ship. There are some ports where we are never in a hurry because we are staying close to the ship, but Naples is one of the places where folks should be off the ship ASAP. Your post just feeds into one of my pet peeves which is not to spend port days with groups :)

Hank

The taxis on Capri are all open-top, or convertibles if you will. On hot sunny days the drivers will have rigged sun roofs, or when it rains, they pull up the black convertible top. They are all colored white (except for one old red one) and will carry up to seven passengers. The run from the Marina Grande port to Capri town should cost no more than 15 euros and from Marina Grande to Anacapri 25 euros. There is a surcharge for more than four passengers though.

Wow! That's quite a lot for a trip of less than a mile!!!

Not sure why you would take a taxi from Marina Grande to Capri town unless you had severe mobility problems. Funicular makes more sense.

But do need taxi or bus for Anacapri. We had our taxi driver take us to Anacapri then meet us back at the parking lot at a specified time to take us back down to Capri. That way he didn't have to wait for us the whole time. He was able to catch other fares in the meantime.

Archived