Docking at Lyttelton or Akaroa?

I will be travelling on the Radiance of the Seas this December. We have a port visit to Christchurch on Sat 10th December.

Does anyone know (or know how/where I can find out) whether the ship will be docking at Lyttelton, or tendering at Akaroa?

It's my understanding that the port of Lyttelton was closed as a result of the earthquake - and that cruise ships were being sent to Akaroa instead. What I don't know is if this arrangement is still in place - or, more to the point, if it will still be in place by 10th December.

I'm trying to plan what my friends & I will be doing that day and these plans will need to change depending on which port we're disembarking in. Lyttelton is just 15-20km from Chch and the ships tie up alongside the wharf. Akaroa is 75km from Chch and is a tender port. The implications of this change should be obvious for all to see!

According to Cruise New Zealand http://www.cruisenewzealand.org.nz/schedule/ - it looks like you will be docked in Lyttelton (Christchurch):

10/12/2011 : Lyttelton (Christchurch)

Also have a look at this thread

Hope this helps

Sorry about the rushed post, but I am in a rush! :)

Thanks Kiwi cruiser - BUT some of the information is not actually correct.

ALL Celebrity Century visits to Christchurch have been changed to Akaroa.

From http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1459182

Hi all - just received the following advice from my TA

12-Night Australia/New Zealand sailings: November 30, December 12, 2011; January 6 and 18, 2012

13-Night New Zealand sailing: December 24, 2011

18-Night Circumnavigation Bottom sailing: January 30, 2012

The call to Christchurch, New Zealand has been replaced with a call to Akaroa, New Zealand on the six above mentioned sailings.

The change was suggested due to pier damage sustained as a result of the earthquakes experienced earlier this year.

Call times in Dunedin, New Zealand were also extended by an hour for tour operations.

Thanks for the responses.

The news there is very mixed & confused:

• The CruiseNewZealand website says Lyttelton.
  • The media release from Lyttelton Port says that they'll be open for cruise business.
  • The rest of the thread says that some ships are definitely going to Akaroa..

Definitely hoping for Lyttelton.

Vader,

Have you contacted your cruise line to ask whether you will visit Lyttelton or Akaroa.?

I understand that most ships will be calling at Akaroa, where some days there will be two ships visiting.

If your cruiseline is unable to help you, maybe you could e-mail Lyttelton Port and ask if your ship is expected?

The port web site is www.lpc.co.nz

Haven't contacted them yet.. but will shortly. Was hoping the collective wisdom of all the Cruise Critics might be able to provide me with an answer.

EDIT: Never mind, found my answer. If you go to the Royal Caribbean website and search for this cruise, it lists the Christchurch port as Akaroa, from 0700-1800.

It's just a very long way from Christchurch, with not a whole lot to do in the port area itself.

It's 75km from ChCh and I am a bit surprised you say that there is not much to do. I have been to both Akaroa and ChCh before and am quite content to be porting at Akaroa rather than Lyttleton. The tours and excursions made available to us in January are quite varied and extensive. Unfortunately the damage from the earthquakes has put a lot of the ChCh sights that I would like to visit off limits anyway. :(

I have made so many enquiries re Akaroa, since we found out the change re our cruise. From many emails I have received back, I can assure you the locals are attempting to make their port better than ever. I have been to Akaroa before. It is certainly a destination in itself. There are several local tours available, along with ship tours which include the famous train tour, and others going into ChCh. The jetty in Akaroa is presently being extended to accommodate cruise tenders, they are planning some sort of welcoming at the wharf, one place is having wine and cheese tastings etc etc. Hence, Akaroa will be ready for all of us cruisers....and they are looking forward to us coming. Their shops are unique, the scenery is stunning all around, you have lots of places to visit via foot if you wish. ie The giants House for one, the many 'french' buildings are made for looking at. There is not a chance in the world that you could be disappointed with this port. You may even wish to stay longer!

Jen

I have made so many enquiries re Akaroa, since we found out the change re our cruise. From many emails I have received back, I can assure you the locals are attempting to make their port better than ever. I have been to Akaroa before. It is certainly a destination in itself. There are several local tours available, along with ship tours which include the famous train tour, and others going into ChCh. The jetty in Akaroa is presently being extended to accommodate cruise tenders, they are planning some sort of welcoming at the wharf, one place is having wine and cheese tastings etc etc. Hence, Akaroa will be ready for all of us cruisers....and they are looking forward to us coming. Their shops are unique, the scenery is stunning all around, you have lots of places to visit via foot if you wish. ie The giants House for one, the many 'french' buildings are made for looking at. There is not a chance in the world that you could be disappointed with this port. You may even wish to stay longer!

Jen

Hi Jen...

I suggest the good folk of Akaroa appoint you Honorary Mayor.

You are doing a great job keeping folk up to date.:)

Hi Jen...

I suggest the good folk of Akaroa appoint you Honorary Mayor.

You are doing a great job keeping folk up to date.:)

You cheeky thing David:D. So glad to see you are on the mend!! Being organised is a terrible trait sometimes, but DH loves the fact that all he has to do is pack and embark:rolleyes:

Seriously though, from my emails, it sounds like they are waiting for us with open arms....typical kiwis...such a great bunch.

Jen

Any idea where/how far the shuttle bus is going?

Are we talking all the way from Akaroa into Chch, or just around the Akaroa township itself?

How much are they charging?

Hi,

I completely understand your confusion re the Lyttleton/Akaroa bits. That's the same reason why I ended up sending emails to wherever I could. I was after a car rental, as we have been to Akaroa before. All the info was in several of the replies that I got. The shuttle bus was mentioned as going around the town of Akaroa only, to cover their attractions in the immediate area. They didn't say whether it was a 'paid' service or not, but that it would run all day. Def not going into ChCh. From what I can work out, if you wish to get to ChCh, you will have to book a tour. Unfortunately, the Akaroa Connection leaves ChCh in the morning and returns again in the afternoon. Perhaps down the track, they may organise something in the reverse direction that suits us better, who knows! It is a good hour and a half drive between the two places....hence the car rental places not servicing Akaroa....too far for them to come out. I cannot find any way of returning to Akaroa from ChCh in the afternoon, except via booked tour.

I got the impression from all my return replies, that the cruise influx is very recent news for them. They are only used to a few ships, not heaps, but they all said that there are major plans being put in place to accommodate us. I am hoping that perhaps in a couple of months, this will include some enterprising car hire companies, more tour operators wishing to make a 'buck' etc.

Lastly. Don't fret about being 'stuck' in Akaroa. It simply is gorgeous, lots to see and do. We are happy to be visiting there again, as we didn't see it all last time when we did the day trip from ChCh. I know you won't be disappointed once you are there. Your cruise line will have shore tours going to other places, some within ChCh, so not all is lost.

I hope this helps a bit.......but I am still looking, keeping my eyes open.

Jen

According to Cruise New Zealand http://www.cruisenewzealand.org.nz/schedule/ - it looks like you will be docked in Lyttelton (Christchurch):

10/12/2011 : Lyttelton (Christchurch)

Also have a look at this thread

Hope this helps

Sorry about the rushed post, but I am in a rush! :)

Thanks so much for that information. We've not heard anything from Celebrity regarding any changes to the itinerary. I was wondering about our cruise in December on Celebrity Century and I now see it is scheduled to dock at Lyttleton. Is this information regularly updated?

Jilly:)

I've been reading up on Akaroa in the Lonely Planet guide. It seems like a pleasant little village, which is supported by everything I've read here (and elsewhere online). I wouldn't mind checking out the cheese factory at Barry's Bay and doing a walk around the village, checking out the French influence.. But I can't see these activities going close to filling the day.

I'm hoping that Royal Caribbean will hire a fleet of buses to transport the passengers to/from Chch, albeit at nominal cost (around US$20 return). I'd be annoyed if the only way of getting into town is on one of their tours.

Thanks so much for that information. We've not heard anything from Celebrity regarding any changes to the itinerary. I was wondering about our cruise in December on Celebrity Century and I now see it is scheduled to dock at Lyttleton. Is this information regularly updated?

Sorry to be a pest, I really am sorry....but are you sure about that, as Akaroa is listed on Celebrity main site as the port of call. I may have read it incorrectly, but maybe check it out.

Jen:)

Hello Jilly

We are on Celebrity Century after you and when I log into my booking with Celebrity Cruises all references are to Akaroa not Lyttleton. We are at Akaroa on 1 Jan 2012.

I recieved an email from T/A yesterday on behalf of Royal Caribbean saying all Radiance of the Seas Itenararies that were calling at Christchurch will now be calling at Akaroa. We are on Radiance round Australia 19th Feb 2012 and are more than happy to visit Akaroa as we have not been there on our last 2 visits to NZ , as much as we enjoyed Christchurch on our visits it will be nice to see another part of this country and am thankful that we do not have to see the destruction done to the once beautiful Christchurch ,as much as I know the tourist dollar is needed to help the city I would not feel right going around looking at all the devastation and would also feel uneasy with the continuing tremors.Robin:)

There is absolutely no doubt that Akaroa will be the port for the Christchurch area this cruise season.

The cruise lines and the local tour operators are obviously sorting out all the logistics and it is best to keep an eye out for what offerings are available.

Here is an update from the www.akaroa.co web site:

I find it interesting that they are suggesting that people should book and pay once they get to the pier....hmmm..:rolleyes:

Akaroa Transport

Brief Description

On cuise ship days there will be a number of special transport services available to service the passengers. Please go to more information below to find out about the specific services available.

Detailed Information

Direct to Transport Page:

http://www.akaroa.com/fpnew/fastpage/fpengine.php/templateid/220

Tours available for cruise ship passengers:

Cityline.

Christchurch & Banks Peninsula Tour:

$80.00 per person. Departs from main wharf at 10.30am. All day tour.

Travel to Little River, Gebbies Pass, Sign of the Kiwi, Botanic Gardens, Riccarton Mall.

Departing Akaroa at 10.30am, returning into Akaroa at 4.30pm.

Book & pay directly at main wharf when you arrive in Akaroa.

Cityline.

2 Hour Local Sightseeing Tour:

$40.00 per person. Departs from main wharf at 11.30am.

Travel by luxury coach for panoramic views of the Akaroa Harbour and the local bays including Duvauchelle, Barry’s Bay, Robinsons Bay and Takamatua. We visit the Barry's Bay Cheese Factory where you can sample some award winning cheeses. Then we make our way up to the Historic Hill Top Tavern with more photo opportunities and refreshments. Learn Akaroa’s local history and how the Akaroa harbour and surrounding Banks Peninsula were home to 3 extinct volcanoes with informative commentary from your driver.

Red Bus.

2 Hour Akaroa Local Sightseeing Tour:

$50.00 per person. Departs from main wharf at 11.00am.

Sightseeing tour specifically for cruise ship passengers. The tour will depart the wharf at 11 am (a stop will be made at the Visitor Centre). Duration: 2 hours. Highlights: Summit Road, Little River – Cafe and Gallery, Hill Top, Barry’s Bay Cheese

Red Bus.

Normal Akaroa to Christchurch Shuttle Service:

$ 50.00 per person. Departs from main wharf at 10.30am.

Sightseeing

Shuttle Service departs Akaroa at 10.30 am and returns from Christchurch on the 3 pm service. This gets into Akaroa at 4.30pm. Book & pay directly at main wharf when you arrive in Akaroa or at the Akaroa Visitor Centre on arrival in Akaroa.

Akaroa Tours & Taxi:

Follow the link for more information.

http://www.akaroa.com/fpnew/fastpage/fpengine.php/templateid/398/menuid/6/tempidx/220/link/1

Discovery Travel:

Cruise ship charters are available while you are docked in Akaroa. We can take you into Christchurch City, visit the International Antactic Centre, or view New Zealand's national icon, 'The Kiwi' at Willowbank Wildlife Reserve, or wander through the Botanic Gardens and visit Canterbury Museum, or go shopping. We include a brief Christchurch City sightseeing tour. We will work with you to arrange a suitable itinerary. From Akaroa we travel via Little River, Gebbies Pass, Lyttelton Harbour and up and over Christchurch's Port Hills for views over the Canterbury Plains and up to the Southern Alps, over Christchurch City. We will have you back in Akaroa in time for your tender, back to your ship. Tel +64 3 3578 262 Email: info@discoverytravel.co.nz Website: www.discoverytravel.co.nz

Taxi Service:

Goldband Taxi company will be operating all day services. Talk to the driver about prices.

Rental Cars:

Sorry, there are no rental cars available in Akaroa.

Cheers

Archived